Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Centerforce Dual friction or Spec 3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004 | 03:01 PM
Teching In

Talking Centerforce Dual friction or Spec 3?

Which clutch should I use in my 2000 z28, LTs, Stage2 heads, MTI X1 cam, 4.10 gears. The Centerforce Dual friction or the Spec stage 3.
thanks for any help
Old 04-14-2004 | 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldnt even bother unless you have a rear end. Id rather have the stock clutch slip than the rear end take a **** on me. But I say go with the spec stage 3 with upgraded hydraulics all the way. Be sure to get the X pad, and get ready to drive thoes 500 miles of break in. Ive seen what happens first hand when you dont let a spec stage 3 break in.
Old 04-14-2004 | 04:07 PM
10 Second Club

stay away from the centerforce(i HAD one). the ram is a great clutch. my bud has the spec st3 and it chatters like a *****. my ram 910 had NO chatter w/3.73's. and it's even better with my new 4.11's.

Last edited by mike c.; 04-15-2004 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2004 | 04:16 PM
Launching!

centerforce sux man, get spec x pad its really a stage 3 &4
Old 04-14-2004 | 11:42 PM
PR Director

I have a Spec 3 new in box, sent pm!
Old 04-16-2004 | 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

It's your choice man 1000 or more people on this site will tell you that the centerforce Dual friction clutch sucks, but I find it hard to believe that all 1000+ people bought the Centerforce clutch in reality maybe only a select few bought this clutch and had problems with it for whatever reason, the fact of the matter is whatever choice you go with, you need to do a 500 mile stop and go driving break in on it, you also need and adjustable master, and a new flywheel, and throw out bearing, and you shouldn't have no problems, I find it hard to belive that one of the most respected clutch maker in the world are deliberatly selling us crappy *** clutches, and getting away with it, me personally I just put in the Centerforce dual friction clutch, about 3000 miles ago, did the break in and bought everything, took it to the track 4 times already with 150 shot, not to mention all of my other mods, and just pulled it apart yesterday, and she still looks great. so you have to do your own reasearch, and don't listen to everything you hear here, therse alot of great advice on this website, but therse also alot of kids that don't know **** about anything, and there just simply repeating what they hear...Oh and by the way I'm over 500rwhp, and the Centerforce Dual Friction is rated for 675rwhp, no chatter, and pedal feels about 1.5 times harder than stock, Good luck which ever way you decide to go, Later man...
Old 04-16-2004 | 03:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02 WS-6
It's your choice man 1000 or more people on this site will tell you that the centerforce Dual friction clutch sucks, but I find it hard to believe that all 1000+ people bought the Centerforce clutch in reality maybe only a select few bought this clutch and had problems with it for whatever reason, the fact of the matter is whatever choice you go with, you need to do a 500 mile stop and go driving break in on it, you also need and adjustable master, and a new flywheel, and throw out bearing, and you shouldn't have no problems, I find it hard to belive that one of the most respected clutch maker in the world are deliberatly selling us crappy *** clutches, and getting away with it, me personally I just put in the Centerforce dual friction clutch, about 3000 miles ago, did the break in and bought everything, took it to the track 4 times already with 150 shot, not to mention all of my other mods, and just pulled it apart yesterday, and she still looks great. so you have to do your own reasearch, and don't listen to everything you hear here, therse alot of great advice on this website, but therse also alot of kids that don't know **** about anything, and there just simply repeating what they hear...Oh and by the way I'm over 500rwhp, and the Centerforce Dual Friction is rated for 675rwhp, no chatter, and pedal feels about 1.5 times harder than stock, Good luck which ever way you decide to go, Later man...
I agree, I think its all in the way you break it in
Old 04-17-2004 | 05:51 AM
TECH Addict

I went through 2 centerforce duals (w/ updated hydro) in about 4 months. Got a spec 3 after that and worked great. Now going w/ the 3i.
Old 04-17-2004 | 05:53 AM
TECH Addict

That was just my personal experience w/ them. You may have much better results with the dualfriction
Old 04-17-2004 | 10:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hugger_99, not to knock you, but if your first centerforce clutch went out so soon, why would you buy the second one, and then you obviously went through the spec too, since your going with the 3i now lets see thats 3 clutches in how long of a time? I'm not no genius here, but it might have something to do with your driving, exspecially with your mods, it seems that the stock clutch should still hold you...The question was which clutch should he get, and you went through two centerforces (in 4 months), and your going on your second spec, but yet your endorsing spec? <weird, You see zyal8r how this works? anyone who goes through so many clutches is such a short time, I don't think it's the clutch, do the research, and read between the lines, and make an informed decission based on the facts...Peace...
Old 04-17-2004 | 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

1st center force burnt up after 7 passes at drag strip( Which may have been my driving, i dunno). Centerforce sent me the 2nd clutch for free(They said it was for good PR). So i figured i try it again but after 70-80 miles the disc burnt up again. Come to find out the weights on the pressure plate came loose(what shop told me) and thats what caused the disc to burn. I went with them to begin with cause they had a good reputation around here. I know a few guys with LT1s using them. My Spec 3 was fine but i wasnt sure if it would hold up to the blower motor so i went with a 3i. I am by no means a clutch expert( thats why i never installed them) I was just telling of my experience with CF, thats all. He could have much better results with it.
Old 04-17-2004 | 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Hey Hugger...

i went down to speed today to talk with the guys for my car. I think i saw your car there. with the bogarts and black graphic/paint on the hood? Might i say your car looks badass!
Old 04-17-2004 | 06:37 PM
Teching In

well I put in the centerforce 2weeks ago and it has driven well except shifting over 6k
it will not let me shift to next gear until rpm is lower if any one knows of A way to fix this i would be very greatful also did 02 slave and drill mod
Old 04-17-2004 | 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Z28 kid. Appreciate that. I cant wait to get her back...
Old 04-17-2004 | 06:51 PM
Banned

We are running a special on all RAM clutches right now with free shipping , this includes the Powergrip and VDS systems as well . Let me know and I can help you out choosing the best RAM clutch for your application if you do decide to go with the RAM clutch .

Thanks ,
Mike
www.neweraperformanceparts.com
sales@neweraperformanceparts.com
Old 04-18-2004 | 12:05 AM
TECH Junkie

I also has a centerforce and it worked great, The only reason I sold it is because I might be around 650 rwhp when all is said and done with my current setup. It had 0 chatter, 0 engagement issues and was honestly a pleasure to drive.

For Red99WS6 about engagement issues above 6 grand. Do you have an adjustable master? Where is your engagment point at currently? I believe that the adjustable master is key to the centerforce. I did alot of research on it as well and it seemed that most people who had issues with it did not have and adjustable master.
Old 04-19-2004 | 12:01 AM
Teching In

STAY AWAY from the spec. IT rattles like a ****. I have NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS with my Spec stage 3 kevlar.

I am going to be on the phone with them once again tomorrow morning. I've goo threw 4 of them in less then 20K. My forth one just went out friday and is in 37 pieces in my bell housing. Needless to say i am very very dissapointed in there quality .

If i can convince everyone not to own one i'd be very happy.
Old 04-19-2004 | 02:12 AM
TECH Addict

I guess everyone has different experiences with diff. clutches. maybe its the luck of the draw..i dunno. Hope you all find one that finally works for ya! Good luck.
Old 04-19-2004 | 03:50 PM
TECH Veteran

I've put 461 rwhp/576 rwtq through my Dual Friction with no problems. Thought I busted it once but I took it apart and it was fine (it was another problem). But anyway, no chatter, holds fine, good pedal pressure. I have a buddy of mine that has a Spec Stage 3 and he hasn't had any problems either. If I could do it again, I would try a McLeod Street Twin just for ***** and giggles.
Old 04-19-2004 | 03:50 PM
Teching In

Hey Mike k. thanks for the info just orderd adj. master today

Quick Reply: Centerforce Dual friction or Spec 3?