Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

3rd and 4th gear grinds

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd and 4th gear grinds

I recently bought a 1999 trans am m6, I got a deal on it because the cat who sold it was quite sold that the whole tranny would need a complete rebuild. What it's doing is almost everytime you shift into 3rd or 4th it grinds pretty bad, only if you're granny shifting it perfect will it not grind. Are my synchros bad? Will it actually need a complete rebuild?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like the 3rd/4th syncros are shot...the only way to find out is to tear it down though. Unless your on a budget though you might as well replace all of the other wear parts while your in there though if you plan on doing it yourself. I rebuilt my t56 for less then 400$ which replaced all syncros, shift fork bushings, bearings and snap rings. I got the rebuild kit from D&D performance which comes with everything you need.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:44 PM
Teching In

yeah, since it'll have to be taken out, i'll just have it completely rebuilt, might as well get it all done at once, and done right. What does the average shop usually charge for a t56 rebuild? I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but transmissions always seemed very daunting to me and i've never messed with them other than like a clutch install.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:29 PM
Teching In

They actually are not bad. Just get a manual and have a good exploded view to help keep everything in order.

Quick Reply: 3rd and 4th gear grinds