Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shed a little light for me. General transmission problems.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Shed a little light for me. General transmission problems.

Well, I'm having problems with reverse. From what I've read, here on the board, this isn't really a good thing and is a sign that worse things are on the way. Anyway, it's not really engaging. A lot of times when you place it in reverse it feels as if it's there but if you try to move it just makes a sound as if something has spun off. After a few more tries or so it will go. Besides that, the gears run ok while granny shifting. When I want to do some performance driving however, the gears are getting increasingly more difficult to hit which is leading to some grinding and things of the like. Diagnosis? And what needs to be done to get over these shifting woes?

Thanks in advance,
Justin

P.S. The car is a '99 with 65K. I have no idea how it was driven before my possesion(56K miles). Under my ownership it's only seen the track twice for a total of 7 passes. Of course I still beat on it on the streets every now and then.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

If it's grinding when you're banging gears then you definitely need to stop banging gears until you get new synchros. I learned the hard way. After you get the tranny rebuilt make sure that your clutch is disengaging all the way and if you have an aftermarket shifter, put in the shift stops. Doing this will help your freshly built tranny live a while longer. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2004, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Unforgiven1, my tranny does the same thing. 98 with 72K miles on it. Did it even when I first bought it with 60K miles on it. When I put it in Reverse, and I let the clutch out, alot of times it makes this buzzing/whining sound and after a couple tries it goes in ok and doesn't make the noise. Also, my 2nd gear synchro is starting to go as well. Anytime I try to shift fast, it grinds even if I have the clutch all the way in before I do it.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Yessir, reverse is now completely gone Oh well though, comes with the territory I suppose. Might want to start saving up for when yours goes. If it's doing the same thing it will probably be gone before too long. Anyway, the tranny can now shift through all six gears fine...just no reverse. Would that be a synchro or maybe just some kind of linkage problem, the gear itself?

Justin