Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Release Beaering Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Release Beaering Help Needed

I am having a problem finding the proper release bearing for 2002 5.7 LS1 engine and T56 transmission installed in my Panoz race car.
I have 7 1/4 PowerTrain Technology triple disc clutch and I can not find a round faced bearing for this application. The stock type with the flat face will not work with multi disc clutches. Ram makes a bearing #78100 but their tech line does not know if it will fit the LS1/T56. (go figure?)
I could not be the only one who has run into this problem, anyone have any suggestions or know of another way this has been done.
Need help, Thanks
RTW
Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Have you tried Quarter Master yet? Their release bearings are a very popular choice.

Other than that sorry I can't offer much help as I am still waiting for answers from Quarter Master
Old 01-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Teching In

I think I have found the answer to my own question.
I just got off the phone with McLeod Clutches and they said they could make one special order.
They are going to put a round face bearing on a T56 release bearing assembly.
I told them they should offer that as a solution to the multi disc clutch application.
Like I said, surely I am not the first to run into this situation.
Hats off to McLeod
Problem solved.
RTW
Old 01-30-2013, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Only problem is that the stock style slave is the cause of a lot of release bearing issues. You are better off finding one of the many options available from the aftermarket guys IMHO, but in the end it's your call

Old 01-30-2013, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

You can get a 730015 adapter for the T56 and a Quarter Master Trilite release bearing. It seems to be what most of the C5 guys are using. They say it solves the factory hydraulic issues
Old 01-31-2013, 11:05 PM
Teching In

The problem with the Tri Lite release bearing is that the LS1 T56 bellhousing is open in the rear. The bellhousing bolts straight to the transmission, there is nothing to bolt the Tri Lite to without fabricating a spacer between the bellhousing and the transmission. I have done this before on other transmissions. If anyone knows how to do it, please contact me. I know it has to have been done before.
Thanks for the info.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Just looked up the adapter, yes you are right that will work, it mounts to the front of the transmission where the stock release bearing fits.
Why did Quarter Master not tell me about that part when I talked to them, They just cost me a lot of money getting one special ordered from Mcleod, and being a special order I can not return it.
I should have waited a day or two until you guys had a chance to see this and steer me in the right direction. Thanks Turnin20 I owe you a beer!

Last edited by LS1Panoz; 01-31-2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Just ordered the QM 730015, but I am going to call Quarter Master in the morning and tell them one of their tech guys needs to be doing something else
Old 02-01-2013, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1Panoz
Just looked up the adapter, yes you are right that will work, it mounts to the front of the transmission where the stock release bearing fits.
Why did Quarter Master not tell me about that part when I talked to them, They just cost me a lot of money getting one special ordered from Mcleod, and being a special order I can not return it.
I should have waited a day or two until you guys had a chance to see this and steer me in the right direction. Thanks Turnin20 I owe you a beer!
Sorry man, that sucks. I have been doing tons of research lately as I just ordered a 5.5" Ace triple disk and am working out the kinks on the release bearing. I emailed QM and waited for a response for 2 weeks, then called and didn't get any help possibly because I bought one of their competitors clutches. Then I found one of the tech guys email address and sent him a message and asked for a part number on the trilite adapter. He just sent me a pic, but luckily it has the # engraved into it. Then I searched that # and found that it's what the C5 guys are using.

So long story short I think QM tech guys are worthless. The tech guys at Ace though have been more than helpful with all of my questions and answered them right away, gave me part numbers, and had a good knowledge of their parts and others.

Good luck
Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1 Panoz you say

I'm in the finals stages of a full restoration on my father's GTRA. Installing a carb'd LS1 and TKO600 with a Quicktime bell. Building it around NASA ST2/ST3 so it only needs around 315 rwhp. I used a stock LS6 clutch I had left over and a Quarter Master street release bearing.

Good luck with your project.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Teching In

I have been following your rebuild on the Panoz site. Great work, you have really done a super job.
I have one of the Penske Panoz from Wire Wheel as well, I bought the unfinished show car. But I could not leave well enough alone, I have done a lot more to it than just finish it,
We need to get in touch and compare notes, from your posts I could learn a lot from you.
Tom Whitfield
Old 02-01-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where are you located? I should have the car at VIR in March. That's the plan... may have to take some vacation from the real job and go nuts on it, but I want it ready to shake down by then.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Teching In

I am in Kingston TN. I have raced VIR many times, we raced an MGB in SVRA vintage racing for the last several years. Moving up to a little more horsepower with the Panoz.
I will PM my phone and address
Thanks,
Tom Whitfield
Old 02-01-2013, 04:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

I have a round edged bearing on mine. That's just how it came, as far as I know it's a standard GM part.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Teching In

I am going to go crazy (crazier)! The new TCI flex plate arrived today and guess what....the 7 1/4 button flywheel will not bolt up to it. Seems the flexplate has a second section bolted to the center of it to make it stronger around the main shaft. The bolts protude a few thousands so the flywheel will not fit flush up against it. I am going to try different flexplate next week, or I will just mill the bolts flush. Oh, and the place I bought the TCI flexplate told me it was impossible to use a flexplate with a straight shift, and I did not know what I was talking about, Then he googled Power Train Technology's web site and to his credit he said he was wrong, that in the 15 years he had been involved with racing he had never heard of such a thing. He had only been around drag cars and had no knowledge of how road racing cars were set up.
I left racing British cars because I got tired of having to fabricate everything, I thought a good ole Chevy would be easier, but nothing in racing is easy or cheap
Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Geeze... is Kingston way out in the sticks? Stinks that you're having teething issues, but sometimes that's how it works piecing together parts for a custom car. Most of the C5 guys I race with use a OEM F-body flex plate to mount the small multi-disc clutches. They all use that adapter shown above with the tri-lite Quartermaster release bearing.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1Panoz

I am going to go crazy (crazier)! The new TCI flex plate arrived today and guess what....the 7 1/4 button flywheel will not bolt up to it. Seems the flexplate has a second section bolted to the center of it to make it stronger around the main shaft. The bolts protude a few thousands so the flywheel will not fit flush up against it. I am going to try different flexplate next week, or I will just mill the bolts flush. Oh, and the place I bought the TCI flexplate told me it was impossible to use a flexplate with a straight shift, and I did not know what I was talking about, Then he googled Power Train Technology's web site and to his credit he said he was wrong, that in the 15 years he had been involved with racing he had never heard of such a thing. He had only been around drag cars and had no knowledge of how road racing cars were set up.
I left racing British cars because I got tired of having to fabricate everything, I thought a good ole Chevy would be easier, but nothing in racing is easy or cheap
Man that sucks. I hate running into problem after problem, I wet through that last year with my rear axle.

But for what its worth I bought a Quick Time ultra lightweight flexplate specifically for button style clutches. But I have a LT1 motor and it seems to be a bit easier to find parts for these clutches.

Sorry for the run of bad luck, hopefully it turns around for you

Quick Reply: Release Beaering Help Needed