Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

help aston martin t56

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help aston martin t56

hello, i recently bought an aston martin t56 and i want to know it meassurements, since i bought it on ebay, I dont have it on my power at the moment and i want to know if a stock ls1 fits on it, the pilot bearing size, and the output shaft spline, it had a twin disc clutch system

some pics that the seller had

do I need to do everything as the viper swap ? or anybody has done this swap before?

please help
Old 01-31-2013, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am sorry to inform you but you have a real sack of goods there. It is an Aston Martin Vanquish T56. This was manufactured as a fully-automated transmision. What the picture shows is some conversion back to a fully manual box. These units had specific linkage components that , if not swapped in the conversion, will not give a good shift as a full manual.
As for the LS1 Q.
the input spline is correct but the pilot & length are not...you need to swap inputs.
An LS1 bell will bolt-up( discard/ sell the AML bell) but the front adapter is deeper than an LS1 unit...like a Viper front adapter. Stacking up the CSC & clutch will take care.
There was a tone wheel & sensor mounted on the front at the input shaft originally...part of the CSC...these are no longer needed.Replace the CSC.
The guideplate & offset lever of the linkage are specific and if not already changed will need to be swapped.
That shifter and u-joint arrangement look like an adjustment/ mis-adjustment problem...the poor shifting I mentioned.
I would have a shop that knows these convert it properly to an LS1 box if you want to get a proper install/ performance.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by calhoon
I am sorry to inform you but you have a real sack of goods there. It is an Aston Martin Vanquish T56. This was manufactured as a fully-automated transmision. What the picture shows is some conversion back to a fully manual box. These units had specific linkage components that , if not swapped in the conversion, will not give a good shift as a full manual.
As for the LS1 Q.
the input spline is correct but the pilot & length are not...you need to swap inputs.
An LS1 bell will bolt-up( discard/ sell the AML bell) but the front adapter is deeper than an LS1 unit...like a Viper front adapter. Stacking up the CSC & clutch will take care.
There was a tone wheel & sensor mounted on the front at the input shaft originally...part of the CSC...these are no longer needed.Replace the CSC.
The guideplate & offset lever of the linkage are specific and if not already changed will need to be swapped.
That shifter and u-joint arrangement look like an adjustment/ mis-adjustment problem...the poor shifting I mentioned.
I would have a shop that knows these convert it properly to an LS1 box if you want to get a proper install/ performance.
basically is the same as a viper install...

what do you recomend ? buy the stock ls1 bellhousing or the mcleod adaptor plate? (because the input shaft is longer i can use the adapter on my muncie bellhousing so it fits right)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcl-8-207

or modify the stock input ?

and with the output shaft do you have a link on what sliping yoke do I need?

and really THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your help
Old 01-31-2013, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

You would have to ferret-out if the clutch housing/ shaft shortening recipe.
The output spline is a 30T, a thin-wall Viper yoke( pre '03-spec) should work
Old 01-31-2013, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by calhoon
You would have to ferret-out if the clutch housing/ shaft shortening recipe.
The output spline is a 30T, a thin-wall Viper yoke( pre '03-spec) should work
thank you very much

i have done some exhausting research about viper t56´s

it is supposed to have an 7" inputshaft
my muncie has a 6 5/8 " long so if i just put the mcleod adapter plate y will gain 0.5" and it will be all good and avoid sendinde the input shaft to machine it, just change the pilot bushing

here are some threads that might help us all
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-t56-swap.html

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mo...08-clevor.html

if im missing something or wrong please tell me
Old 01-31-2013, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

watching that picture... i realize that i can buy an ls1 bellhousing and cut down the aston one and it will fit quite right, but it would be more expensive but will look better...

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...g-lots-of-pics!)

sorry if I grab this as my diary but im really excited about this swap
Old 01-31-2013, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok. Maybe this will help:
The Aston shaft is 18mm shorter than a Viper shaft.
The Aston adapter is 10mm longer/ deeper( same as a Viper) than an LS1 adapter
Old 04-16-2013, 01:38 AM
Staging Lane

I installed it

the input shaft is 7" long; so i had to use a 0.5" spacer.
had to cut and extend the transmission crossarm
bought this trans yoke http://www.summitracing.com/parts/str-u1655 and is working fine, no trans fluid leakage o anything
the pilot bearing is from gen I , just had to resize the inner diameter for the oversized input shaft

and the only part where I had to cut on the floor for fittment

not including the other hole for the shifter

after all it is not that big deal

hope it helps somebody
Old 04-17-2013, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

pm me if you have shift concerns.
As I pointed out earlier the guide plate is not intended for a human shift but automation. You may find it difficult to make smooth shifts.If this plate has not been changed already,you will want to do that.

Quick Reply: help aston martin t56