Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

very low grinding/growling noise when moving shifter Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default very low grinding/growling noise when moving shifter Help!

Well my buddy just bought this car and it seems to be making a very low growling/grinding noise whenever he moves the shifter to go into any gear or even lightly moves it. It does not do it when in gear though, only when going into the gear. When coming out of first gear it sounds like a box of BB pellets moving around if anyone understands what i mean by that lol.

I read another thread about someone with the EXACT same issues and the OP said it ended up being the pilot bearing? can anyone confirm with there experiences? thanks in advance.

Last edited by adamantium; 02-27-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it could be a bad pilot bearing or bushing. If he pushes the clutch in with the car in gear and revs it up does he still get the noise? When mine went bad, I could stop, push the clutch in, put the car into first, rev the engine, and the growling noise would begin and something would feel like it was "catching," like it was trying to move the car.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Macs98Z
Yes, it could be a bad pilot bearing or bushing. If he pushes the clutch in with the car in gear and revs it up does he still get the noise? When mine went bad, I could stop, push the clutch in, put the car into first, rev the engine, and the growling noise would begin and something would feel like it was "catching," like it was trying to move the car.
He should be coming over sometime today, ill give that a try and report back. Ill probably even take a video aswell and post it here. Thanks for taking the time to chime in.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you using stock shifter? Check bolts and make sure they are all tight first.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
Are you using stock shifter? Check bolts and make sure they are all tight first.
Its using stock shifter with a short **** stick.

Heard the car clutch in and out makes no diference. There is no noise.

The car when shifting at high RPMs into 4th gear it locks the rear end up. Not sure wtf this could be? Bad torque mount or tranny mount? Have no clue. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by adamantium; 03-02-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Quick Reply: very low grinding/growling noise when moving shifter Help!