Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Throw-out bearing clearances

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Throw-out bearing clearances

Hi All,

I'm getting ready to set up my clutch with a Howe 82870 hydraulic bearing. The instructions say to shim it to 0 clearance: "If done properly, there should be minimal to zero clearance between the bearing and the clutch fingers." Here are a few things I've noticed when mocking it up. With the flywheel bolted on and the clutch just set together and NOT bolted down, there was 4" from the fingers to the back of the block. After tightening down the pressure plate bolts, that dimension went to 3 5/8". I would need to shim the bearing for clearance when the PP is bolted down, so consider that 3 5/8" dimension as "newly installed" and the t/o bearing at 0 clearance as per the instructions. Now imagine what will happen as the clutch disc wears. The thinning of the disc would cause the fingers to move rearward and put the bearing into forced contact and loading, right?

This is my question: Is this normal? Does the bearing somehow compensate for the fingers gradually extending rearward as the disc thins?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Hi All,

I'm getting ready to set up my clutch with a Howe 82870 hydraulic bearing. The instructions say to shim it to 0 clearance: "If done properly, there should be minimal to zero clearance between the bearing and the clutch fingers." Here are a few things I've noticed when mocking it up. With the flywheel bolted on and the clutch just set together and NOT bolted down, there was 4" from the fingers to the back of the block. After tightening down the pressure plate bolts, that dimension went to 3 5/8". I would need to shim the bearing for clearance when the PP is bolted down, so consider that 3 5/8" dimension as "newly installed" and the t/o bearing at 0 clearance as per the instructions. Now imagine what will happen as the clutch disc wears. The thinning of the disc would cause the fingers to move rearward and put the bearing into forced contact and loading, right?

This is my question: Is this normal? Does the bearing somehow compensate for the fingers gradually extending rearward as the disc thins?

You are correct! The fingers will rise as the clutch disc wears. This is exactly why I didn't want that particular type of bearing. OEM types have a spring loaded constant contact with an "air gap" to compensate for disc wear.

Once your disc wears to a point where there is pressure on the bearing, you will have to eventually pull the transmission and re-shim it. It will not correct it self. If it's not designed to stay in contact with the fingers and has an air gap built in, it may wear excessively if not properly maintained not to mention allow the clutch to be released with the pedal released.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
You are correct! The fingers will rise as the clutch disc wears. This is exactly why I didn't want that particular type of bearing. OEM types have a spring loaded constant contact with an "air gap" to compensate for disc wear.

Once your disc wears to a point where there is pressure on the bearing, you will have to eventually pull the transmission and re-shim it. It will not correct it self. If it's not designed to stay in contact with the fingers and has an air gap built in, it may wear excessively if not properly maintained not to mention allow the clutch to be released with the pedal released.
Yeah well, it's kinda hard to find an OEM bearing for a Jerico 4 speed on a 70's scattershield behind an LS motor with a SPEC clutch and Fidenza flywheel. Guess I better build a removable trans tunnel when I get that far...

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2013, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Yeah well, it's kinda hard to find an OEM bearing for a Jerico 4 speed on a 70's scattershield behind an LS motor with a SPEC clutch and Fidenza flywheel. Guess I better build a removable trans tunnel when I get that far...

Thanks!
Actually Keisler engineering makes an OEM constant contact hydraulic bearing that will bolt on to the 4 speed. That's what I'm using.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Actually Keisler engineering makes an OEM constant contact hydraulic bearing that will bolt on to the 4 speed. That's what I'm using.
Hmmm, I see it on their site but no part number or pricing. I'll keep it in mind for future reference, thanks!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Bringing this back up, as I finally got my t/o bearing after a month of waiting. Test-fitting it shows I have 0.200" excess clearance (to be taken up with shims) to the point of "0" clearance while running. So, could I not use the entire shim pack and keep some of this clearance for wear changes? I'd need to have an adjustable "hard link" to remove pedal play, but it should work, right?

Quick Reply: Throw-out bearing clearances