Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just Purchased The Monster Stage 3/Tick Master Combo

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just got my shippment in. This is going to be one badass setup. Should have everything installed in a week or to. Now on to the pics.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great! Good to see you finally received the kit. I love my level 2 and has zero chatter. Let us know how the level 3 drives!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 455GTO
Looks great! Good to see you finally received the kit. I love my level 2 and has zero chatter. Let us know how the level 3 drives!
Yeah, I was very excited to get everything opened up. Glad to hear you're enjoying the level 2 so much. I'm sure the level 3 will be the same. After getting everything installed, I'll work on getting this thing broken in properly so I can have some real fun with it this summer.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:05 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Take those dowel pins.... have a really good look at them....

And promptly throw them as far the **** away as you can. Preferably out in a field or something. Don't even TRY to get them in. Just study the instructions and you're assurred to get it in the right holes. They are damn near impossible to get in, and if the FW is already installed on the car, bring your hearing protection, and pray to God you don't miss with the hammer.

I just called Steve when I was doing my install and he assurred me that if you've got it lined up and all, you don't need them.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Good deal Nate! Looks great all spread out like that!
Old 03-22-2013, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Take those dowel pins.... have a really good look at them....

And promptly throw them as far the **** away as you can. Preferably out in a field or something. Don't even TRY to get them in. Just study the instructions and you're assurred to get it in the right holes. They are damn near impossible to get in, and if the FW is already installed on the car, bring your hearing protection, and pray to God you don't miss with the hammer.

I just called Steve when I was doing my install and he assurred me that if you've got it lined up and all, you don't need them.
i had no issues at all getting my dowel pins in, i dont see what the big deal is
Old 03-22-2013, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Good deal Nate! Looks great all spread out like that!
Sure does. As good as it looks all spread out like that, I think it will be even better when I dump the clutch and let my Tick Peformance cam eat.

I've spent quite a bit of money with you guy's at Tick. Feel free to send me a free Tick Performance windshield banner if you'd like.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Sure does. As good as it looks all spread out like that, I think it will be even better when I dump the clutch and let my Tick Peformance cam eat.

I've spent quite a bit of money with you guy's at Tick. Feel free to send me a free Tick Performance windshield banner if you'd like.
Yes you have Nate, and we VERY MUCH appreciate your business and ALL of our faithful customers business! We wouldn't be able to stay around long with out ALL of our customers support!

Shoot me an email or PM reminding me on Monday to get you a white or silver windshield banner out your way.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Yes you have Nate, and we VERY MUCH appreciate your business and ALL of our faithful customers business! We wouldn't be able to stay around long with out ALL of our customers support!

Shoot me an email or PM reminding me on Monday to get you a white or silver windshield banner out your way.
Thanks Martin; you are the man. I really enjoy doing business with you because your always up front and honest and you know so much about anything and everything LSX. I'll shoot you a PM Monday. I will proudly sport a Tick Performance windshield banner. I'm 100% sure I'll be ordering many other things from you in the future.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good, I'm getting this clutch pretty soon but I'm still trying to figure which flywheel I should get 18 vs 28 lbs. I think is always good to save some pounds but don't know the real difference between them both.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Got this exact same kit... i burned through my stock clutch so easily and pedal kept sticking to the floor... i was going to put all this power to it but i said i rather actually pu tthe power down... Changed the clutch with the stg 3 monster kit and everything you have there, best money i have spent !! the thing grabs like a champ and the pedal isnt that hard at all can launch this thing like a bear now! Good luck with install its not too bad... only thing i had an issue with is the pilot bearing i got with it it was not letting the tranny sit all the way in the pilot hole and couldnt make the tranny flush with the bellhousing... lucky i worked at a tranny shop and they had a stock bearing i switched it with and it worked. Enjoy though youll love it.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:25 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDER
Got this exact same kit... i burned through my stock clutch so easily and pedal kept sticking to the floor... i was going to put all this power to it but i said i rather actually pu tthe power down... Changed the clutch with the stg 3 monster kit and everything you have there, best money i have spent !! the thing grabs like a champ and the pedal isnt that hard at all can launch this thing like a bear now! Good luck with install its not too bad... only thing i had an issue with is the pilot bearing i got with it it was not letting the tranny sit all the way in the pilot hole and couldnt make the tranny flush with the bellhousing... lucky i worked at a tranny shop and they had a stock bearing i switched it with and it worked. Enjoy though youll love it.
I had this EXACT same issue. Took me and a buddy almost 3 hours to get it all back in flush. I did what you aren't "supposed" to do and used the bolts to pull it together. BUT, I walked them ALL in gently, by like a fifth of a turn increments. It worked, but man was that frustrating!
Old 04-11-2013, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this EXACT same issue. Took me and a buddy almost 3 hours to get it all back in flush. I did what you aren't "supposed" to do and used the bolts to pull it together. BUT, I walked them ALL in gently, by like a fifth of a turn increments. It worked, but man was that frustrating!
I knew it was a no no as well but I did the same thing . I tried for hours trying to get the tranny in the last inch and it wouldn't go. Ended up being bad and slowly pulling it in the rest of the way with the bolts very gently.

That was with the stock pilot bearing still in there when I changed my Slave out. Are you guys saying the pilot bearing that comes with the Monster clutch kits is too small? I'm not looking forward to that as my Monster clutch is due to arrive next week. Maybe I'll try to slide the bearing over the end of the shaft before I install it to make sure it fits ok.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Would it be bad to just use the pilot bearing already on the car as opposed to the one that came with the kit?

Have not got it installed yet; waiting on my AI Dart/RHS 223cc heads to come in and doing it all at the same time.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes it was defffinately torturous lol! i called the guys and asked what was the deal they said the clutch needed to be re aligned... nope i did that about 10 times lol!! i was thinking of pulling it in slowly but i said no thank you and just pulled it right back out and i put a brand new GM pilot bearing and it sat like stock!

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I knew it was a no no as well but I did the same thing . I tried for hours trying to get the tranny in the last inch and it wouldn't go. Ended up being bad and slowly pulling it in the rest of the way with the bolts very gently.

That was with the stock pilot bearing still in there when I changed my Slave out. Are you guys saying the pilot bearing that comes with the Monster clutch kits is too small? I'm not looking forward to that as my Monster clutch is due to arrive next week. Maybe I'll try to slide the bearing over the end of the shaft before I install it to make sure it fits ok.
Its not too small it just doesnt sit all the way in the pilot hole.. its literally like an inch shy of working... and don't smash it in either lol! it bottoms out and it stays like that. it'll fit on and look right but it just doesn't allow for the tranny to sit flush to the bell housing and prying and just zapping it together is a BIG NONO! u could seriously bust something. I would go purchase a pilot bearing from GM and call it a day saves yourself the headache.

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Would it be bad to just use the pilot bearing already on the car as opposed to the one that came with the kit?

Have not got it installed yet; waiting on my AI Dart/RHS 223cc heads to come in and doing it all at the same time.
I would always replace the pilot bearing... your there you mine as well , just as you would the slave since its a major failure on our cars, do it once do it right... it doesnt cost much either im sure. Mine rattled like a Beoootch before!
Old 04-13-2013, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And make sure that you match the imbalance of the stock flywheel to the new flywheel.

Some engines were finished balanced with steel pins pressed into the holes on the od of the flywheel.

Russ Kemp
Old 04-18-2013, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just installed a used stage 3 (18 lb flywheel) I got from a buddy and it is awesome. I already had the Tick master so I can tell you that it is a amazing combo. It feels like I finally have a solid clutch and confidence in driving it hard. As far as the lightweight flywheel, I have a large cam and 4.10's, it isnt a big deal at all. I can still idle out from a stop. I sent my buddy a text last night (third day of driving it) and said, "Anyone bitching about a lightweight flywheel in a ls1 is a flamming homo!" Go for the 18 lb flywheel, you will love it!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Let me update/edit my last post. I still agree with my comment but seriously look at your car. If you are in need of a stage 2-3 clutch you have already sacrificed some amenities and driveability, big cam, exhaust noise, poly mounts, etc..... So the lightweight flywheel should really not bother you at this point. I love this set up, tick and stage 3, and my car is only a 400 rwhp car. But it feels like it is not truly a nimble sports car. It will change the way you drive it......
Old 04-22-2013, 11:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the kind words in here!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZDER
Yes it was defffinately torturous lol! i called the guys and asked what was the deal they said the clutch needed to be re aligned... nope i did that about 10 times lol!! i was thinking of pulling it in slowly but i said no thank you and just pulled it right back out and i put a brand new GM pilot bearing and it sat like stock! Its not too small it just doesnt sit all the way in the pilot hole.. its literally like an inch shy of working... and don't smash it in either lol! it bottoms out and it stays like that. it'll fit on and look right but it just doesn't allow for the tranny to sit flush to the bell housing and prying and just zapping it together is a BIG NONO! u could seriously bust something. I would go purchase a pilot bearing from GM and call it a day saves yourself the headache. I would always replace the pilot bearing... your there you mine as well , just as you would the slave since its a major failure on our cars, do it once do it right... it doesnt cost much either im sure. Mine rattled like a Beoootch before!
I ended up using the pilot bearing from the Monster Clutch kit. Worked perfectly, had no issues here.

Quick Reply: Just Purchased The Monster Stage 3/Tick Master Combo