Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What happened to my Spec Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 04:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What happened to my Spec Clutch?

I have had a Spec Stage 3 cluch in for about two weeks and it started slipping last week last night I took the tranny out to see what the problem was and the clutch was fried and the flywheel and pressure plate look pretty bad too. The clutch only has about 850 miles on it. Could I have gotten a bad clutch or could something else have caused it? I tried calling Spec today but wasn't able to get a hold of them but I just e-mailed a guy named David from Spec I hope I don't get screwed over and the either give me a replacement kit or my money back.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any photos? I worked with David at Spec recently on a problem, and found him to be very reasonable and helpful.

Good luck!
Old 04-20-2004, 05:35 PM
10 Second Club

I'll try and get some pics you guys probally won't believe what you see it's pretty bad. It looks as bad as the stock clutch that came out of the car.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not trying to be a dick......jusk asking. Do you ride the cluch, cruising down the street with your foot resting on the pedal? is it fully releasing when you stoped, a partialy engaged clucth will fry very quick. Do you hold you self on hills with the clutch, this will cause a short clutch life also.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02Z28
I have had a Spec Stage 3 cluch in for about two weeks and it started slipping last week last night I took the tranny out to see what the problem was and the clutch was fried and the flywheel and pressure plate look pretty bad too. The clutch only has about 850 miles on it. Could I have gotten a bad clutch or could something else have caused it? I tried calling Spec today but wasn't able to get a hold of them but I just e-mailed a guy named David from Spec I hope I don't get screwed over and the either give me a replacement kit or my money back.
...i have fried two Spec 3s and both with low mileage like yourself...the good news is Spec worked with me and replaced both...but i do have questions about their system.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02Z28
Did you happen to clean the clutch and flywheel(carb or brake cleaner?) to remove the oils(protective coating to resist rust,prior to install) from them?,if not done this will cause your problems
Old 04-21-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

I'm replacing my spec with a cartek.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:21 PM
10 Second Club

Yes I cleaned everything with brake cleaner I didn't even put my hands on the clutch disks at all. I had the tranny rebuilt also and I bought a new slave cylinder. I thought if I replaced everything that I wouldn't have any problems. The clutch chatter really bad out of first and a little in second I had to take of kind of fast from stops to make it stop and where I wouldn't ride the clutch. David doesn't seem to believe me so I'll take some pics tonight. He also said that I couldn't get a refund I really don't like the idea of having to put another Spec clutch in my car and hopefully this doesn't take forever.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

I installed a spec stage 3 some months ago and it went very quickly.

I shipped it with the flywheel to spec and the shipped me back a new unit.

They also balanced my set up or at least I think they did. The fly wheel had drill holes in it.

So far the 2nd one is holding.

I am putting a 422 stroker in soon and leaving my TNT kit hooked up.

So I don't have high hopes for the clutch.

Maybe I should put something new in when I change the motor.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I keep hearing about the RAM is it working well?

Quick Reply: What happened to my Spec Clutch?