Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hydraulics/transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 01:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hydraulics/transmission problems

I'm just so sick of this problem I'm having. I can't figure out what wrong. I've replaced the master cylinder with a tick master and the clutch with a monster 2 Plus replaced the pilot bearing and slave cylinder. I've bled it and it just does the same thing. Won't shift into gear when I am driving. And It's a little tough to get into gear from a dead stop. All new transmission fluid. Input shaft looked great. No leaks. Everything was installed perfectly. I've run out of ideas short of the transmission. I really need some input on what to do..
Old 04-09-2013, 10:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the clutch pedal in relation to the brake pedal?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Where is the clutch pedal in relation to the brake pedal?
It is adjusted out to be about the same height as the brake pedal
Old 04-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Bump for some help
Old 04-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Bump...
Old 04-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Bump...
Old 04-09-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no clue what would be going on. You've replaced the master, you've replaced the slave, you have a good clutch. Just doesn't make sense. Only thing that it could be is if there is some big air bubble trapped in the hydraulic system or something? It sounds like your clutch isn't disengaging all the way and making it hard to get into gears. Hence forth I would think that you should park the car on a flat area, push in the clutch pedal and put the car in first gear and rev up the engine. If the clutch isn't disengaging all the way your car should creep forward while you have the clutch pedal in.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I have no clue what would be going on. You've replaced the master, you've replaced the slave, you have a good clutch. Just doesn't make sense. Only thing that it could be is if there is some big air bubble trapped in the hydraulic system or something? It sounds like your clutch isn't disengaging all the way and making it hard to get into gears. Hence forth I would think that you should park the car on a flat area, push in the clutch pedal and put the car in first gear and rev up the engine. If the clutch isn't disengaging all the way your car should creep forward while you have the clutch pedal in.

Thanks a lot man. I know. It's driving me insane. Bad news tonight. I tried to put it in reverse after driving it for like 4 minutes. It refused to go in reverse and barely went into 1st. When I release the clutch, the wheels nearly burned out and it jumped forward hard. Nearly died. And now there's a squeak coming from under my car. Squeak..squeakity squeakity squeak..
I'm getting pissed and a lil worried
Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Bump...
Old 04-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Launching!

Clutch fluid feels gritty. I'm gonna replace the fluid.
I think the synchronizers are out
Old 04-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Launching!

I apologize. I meant blocker rings. Where are the tech fanatics at?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

How are you bleeding the hydraulic system by the way?
Old 04-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Launching!

How are you bleeding the hydraulic system by the way?
By ratchet and socket. Have a small hole/trap door in my drivers side floor. Cracking the bleeder just slightly, pushing the clutch to the floor. Just before it reaches the floor, I close it. Clutch is fully stiff. I did that a couple times.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like your all set there. My only thought is that it's your tranny. From your description in your very first post, it sounds like you were having this shifting problem before the Monster clutch, before the Tick master, before the slave. Then you install all of that and it's still doing the same thing? Points right to the tranny if that's the case.

Personally I'd pull my tranny and send it to Tick to tear it down and see what's wrong with it. Only other option I see is trying another slave (very far fetched but assuming your original one was bad, and perhaps your new slave you got is faulty), or go buy a stock master cylinder from autozone or something and try that to to rule out the Tick Master somehow being faulty which I HIGHLY doubt. Besides those two things it sounds like you'll need someone who knows transmissions to open it up. Tick's website says they have free shipping both from you to them and back. And a basic rebuild is only a grand, I'm sure any tranny shop will charge you way more than that to fix/rebuild your trans. At least in my area anyway it would be $1500-$2500 if I was lucky.

http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...camaro-firebird/

Last edited by TheBlueKnight; 04-10-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Sounds like your all set there. My only thought is that it's your tranny. From your description in your very first post, it sounds like you were having this shifting problem before the Monster clutch, before the Tick master, before the slave. Then you install all of that and it's still doing the same thing? Points right to the tranny if that's the case.

Personally I'd pull my tranny and send it to Tick to tear it down and see what's wrong with it. Only other option I see is trying another slave (very far fetched but assuming your original one was bad, and perhaps your new slave you got is faulty), or go buy a stock master cylinder from autozone or something and try that to to rule out the Tick Master somehow being faulty which I HIGHLY doubt. Besides those two things it sounds like you'll need someone who knows transmissions to open it up. Tick's website says they have free shipping both from you to them and back. And a basic rebuild is only a grand, I'm sure any tranny shop will charge you way more than that to fix/rebuild your trans. At least in my area anyway it would be $1500-$2500 if I was lucky.

http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...camaro-firebird/
I thought about the whole slave cylinder thing as well as the new pilot bearing having issues But it seems highly unlikely. I had to move the car back n forth or even just let it roll to find a place where it could slip into gear last night. I honestly do think its the transmission. I do plan on changing the clutch fluid tonight though just in case. It was pretty gritty. I looked tick up and they obviously know what they're doing. But I'm gonna take it into a transmission shop here and have em see if It's the linkage first. Just in case
Old 04-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Completely bled and put brand new fluid in the entire clutch system. Helped a little. Tried the first gear rec with the clutch pedal all the way down. Didn't move an inch. Is it possible my clutch master cylinder is out. I know It's a Tick product, But maybe It's out. Idk, doubtful. I have a feeling It's definitely the transmission
Old 04-10-2013, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, sounds like the tranny. The logic behind the rev test is that if the master or slave were bad in someway, the hydraulic system would not be pushing the pressure plate fingers far enough to disengage the clutch all the way. Hence making it hard to get into gear while shifting. But if that were the case with a bad master or slave, when you did the rev test the car should have started creeping forward indicating that the hydraulic system is failing and is not disengaging the clutch all the way explaining the shifting problems.

Because you passed the rev test, the hydraulics are obviously disengaging the clutch enough where you shouldn't have any trouble getting into gears. So it looks like the hydraulic system is doing it's job.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Yeah, sounds like the tranny. The logic behind the rev test is that if the master or slave were bad in someway, the hydraulic system would not be pushing the pressure plate fingers far enough to disengage the clutch all the way. Hence making it hard to get into gear while shifting. But if that were the case with a bad master or slave, when you did the rev test the car should have started creeping forward indicating that the hydraulic system is failing and is not disengaging the clutch all the way explaining the shifting problems.

Because you passed the rev test, the hydraulics are obviously disengaging the clutch enough where you shouldn't have any trouble getting into gears. So it looks like the hydraulic system is doing it's job.
It's got about 80k miles on it. I should prolly replace the bearings in the tranny too when I send it to tick. But Damn, I was really hoping it was hydraulics. Didn't wanna spend that big chunk of change.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Launching!

It's got about 80k miles on it. I should prolly replace the bearings in the tranny too when I send it to tick. But Damn, I was really hoping it was hydraulics. Didn't wanna spend that big chunk of change.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Bump...

Quick Reply: Hydraulics/transmission problems