Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

slave cylinder quick disconnect won't go back on - please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slave cylinder quick disconnect won't go back on - please help!

Hey everybody, I have a problem where I'm trying to put my slave cylinder quick disconnect back on, but won't go all the way in. I pushed it in far enough to where it clicks it won't go in far enough to where it will build pressure, won't leak, etc. I can still press the disconnect fitting in farther but it just springs back on to the click "in" position. I got my bleeder valve for the slave cylinder loosened and it went in a little further but still won't stay in far enough.

Any and all help is appreciated.

This is as far as it will stay in.
Attached Thumbnails slave cylinder quick disconnect won't go back on - please help!-20130417_203151.jpg  
Old 08-08-2014, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Does anyone have any words of wisdom? I'm having this very same problem where I've put the fitting together and insert the clip. The pedal is returning on it's own while bleeding the system then after 6-7 rounds the quick connect busts open. I can't figure out what's wrong here and I surely don't want this to happen on the road. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:59 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

If it's clicked, it should be in. The other release plastic looks an odd shape though ?

If it wont push, open the bleed nipple and push the fitting in then close it up again.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried cleaning the fittings out with brake cleaner and / or compressed air? Maybe you have some debris which is preventing full engagement.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Sorry guys I was a few beers deep after a long night of working on the car. My issue is on an 05 GTO but same issue. The quick connect will not stay locked in when building pressure from bleeding the system. If anyone can give any advice for a gto quick connect that'd be awesome.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:18 PM
9 Second Club

It should be a simple push, click. Sure you arent pushing the release sleeve in at the same time ?

Didnt think the GTO had the quick disc...the Monaro here in UK doesnt.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:41 AM
Launching!

The GTO quick connect is a little different than the Fbody. The two fittings have a slit in them that line up when you push one fitting inside the other to connect the two lines. A clip is supposed to slide into that slit to hold the lines together but this is proving to be rather ineffective. I'll post up some pics tonight and see if I can get a video of the pressure busting the line. I've reconnected and bled the system 4 times now and ensured that the line was firm...but inevitably it busts loose when the pressure builds up and I depress the clutch pedal. I have no idea what else to do on this thing and I'm scared it's going to leave me stranded with no pedal (if I could even get it going to drive it in the first place).
Old 08-12-2014, 09:31 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Not to ask the dumb question but have you tried connecting it with the bleeder opened? Five or six tries on my end wouldn't stick, cracked the bleeder, full connection, no issues
Old 08-27-2014, 09:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Im having this same issue and I'm completely stumped right now. New Master, new hydraulic line and new slave cylinder. builds pressure when bleeding but as soon as i press the pedal and build pressure the quick disconnect pops off. With an open bleeder I get one click and can't pull the connector back out by hand but as soon as i build up pressure it pops out. Bleeding this system shouldn't be this hard!
Old 08-27-2014, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

okay i just replaced my master with a new tick 6 days ago so its fresh in my mine .

Open the bleeder all the way , I unscrewed my speed bleeder all the way out. and then before you push the quick connect in , i took a open end wrench and used it to gently push the white part in the quick disconnect , a little fluid came out and then i pushed it into its home and it was fine

So bleeder open and depress the white part in the disconnect and then it will push in .
Old 08-27-2014, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
okay i just replaced my master with a new tick 6 days ago so its fresh in my mine .

Open the bleeder all the way , I unscrewed my speed bleeder all the way out. and then before you push the quick connect in , i took a open end wrench and used it to gently push the white part in the quick disconnect , a little fluid came out and then i pushed it into its home and it was fine

So bleeder open and depress the white part in the disconnect and then it will push in .
just tried all that and still have the same issue
Old 08-27-2014, 11:18 AM
11 Second Club

after some more searching i found this
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ing-slave.html

seems to be the most likely cause of the issue we are having. Im going to pick up an oem slave cylinder today and will see what happens
Old 08-27-2014, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Default slave

I purchased a new Ac Delco slave recently and it came with a different metal release clip and you remove the plastic sleeve piece. I have a Ram clutch that takes twice the effort of the stock clutch and haven't had any problems with it coming apart.

Last edited by kevleetee; 08-27-2014 at 11:29 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 10-01-2017, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

I know this is an old post, but this would have helped me out today.

I have the new style in the vehicle today and replaced it with exactly the same style with the black clip. it wouldn't fit to save my life. And it was very difficult to remove. I then noticed my quick disconnect clip was in bad shape and recalled the package coming with a new one. I replaced it and still nothing. Then I noticed i missed that the package had an O-ring in it. The o-ring was the issue. My old one is nearly 2x as thick as the new one, I'm not sure if it expanded over time or what, but getting the slave out was hell and getting it back in wasn't possible until I changed the o-ring that came in the slave package. hope this helps someone
Old 08-01-2018, 06:16 PM

This happened to me when the o-ring slipped off the male end of the disconnect fitting. When I tried to push it back together the o-ring was keeping the fitting from firmly snapping into place. I used a small pick and fished the o-ring out of the female fitting and luckily it was still in good shape. I put the o-ring back into it's groove and presto it snapped into place.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:42 AM
9 Second Club

old o-rings can definitely get bigger over time, especially if they've come into contact with brake fluid from time to time.

I've never had issue releasing the connector, but have had issue getting it back together due to an enlarged o-ring.

Quick Reply: slave cylinder quick disconnect won't go back on - please help!