Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

loseing pressure in pedal. help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loseing pressure in pedal. help!!

I seem to be losing pressure in my clutch pedal if I drive it more than once a day. So every day I have to go out and bleed the place but I'm not getting any air out of the line. Although when I do this the pedal goes back to being very firm as it would normally. Is anyone else having this issue and if so what could be the cause.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first thought is there is a leak somewhere. Set the fluid level in the master cylinder resavior to the set line, drive it for the day, and when it gets back to pressure loss check the fluid resavior. If it's lower than where you had it before, the fluid is leaking somewhere.

If there is no loss of fluid I'd suspect an internal failure in either the master or slave. To check the master you can disconnect the master from the slave. The clutch pedal normally will be rockhard where you can't push the pedal down at all. If the master is failing somehow you might be able to tell if you put pressure on the pedal for a bit and see if the pedal slowely starts going down to the floor.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Launching!

Yep, bad seal in master or slave. Does OK when the fluid is cold and thicker but once it heats up and thins out it can't hold. If you're not losing fluid it's probably the master. My S10 has been like that for like three years. Kept risking it driving it the 14 miles to work as it would just start to give out when I got there and back home ha ha. Finally gave out and I had to synch shift to get home and parked it. Actually going to put a new master on it this weekend finally as I saw a big greasy booger in it last time I checked it. Praying it's not the slave since I had shoulder surgery a few months ago and before I went in I dropped/installed a TKO and put in a Muncie/SBC/full supension/drivetrain on another car when it was still torn but don't feel recovered enough to try another tranny drop. Of course with six other cars it don't matter to let it sit.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Teching In

I check the fluid level every time I bleed it. I'm using a mity vac as in I have no one to help all it does is pull the fluid back u then I pump it and it goes back to firm. My thought waste master has a bad seal in it somewhere. I was thinking about doing the drill mod till my new master comes in a couple weeks do u think that would help?
Old 05-18-2013, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drill mod won't help. It's supposed to help with high rpm/ fast shifting.

Quick Reply: loseing pressure in pedal. help!!