Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

550rwhp 110% streetable (stock like) clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 10:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

RST here. Making 550-600rwhp through a 9". Been 1.5x sixty foot in my 3800+lb pig. Full street car.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
The RXT uses the same pressure plate as the RST for the same effort, but the engagement is a bit more harsh as it is ceramic lined.
Thats what I was wanting to know. I have that problem now. I cant stand it. very very harsh engagement. Like a on/off switch.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ddnspider
RST here. Making 550-600rwhp through a 9". Been 1.5x sixty foot in my 3800+lb pig. Full street car.
Sounds more like my setup. Looks like the rst might be better suited for me.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the RXT behind my nitrous fed 404 and I love the way it drives on both the track and the street. My car spends 90% of its time on the street. It in no way has a harsh engagement unless you pretty much dump the pedal. My car weighs in at 3820lbs, cuts mid 1.3 60ft and drives like stock. It has been hands down, the best clutch I've had in my car and I've been through my fair share of clutches. I've driven cars with the RST and I can honestly say you won't notice the difference in drivability between the RST and the RXT. That said, I'd go with the RXT just for the peace of mind knowing you won't have any issues if you decide to run it hard at the track.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
I run the RXT behind my nitrous fed 404 and I love the way it drives on both the track and the street. My car spends 90% of its time on the street. It in no way has a harsh engagement unless you pretty much dump the pedal. My car weighs in at 3820lbs, cuts mid 1.3 60ft and drives like stock. It has been hands down, the best clutch I've had in my car and I've been through my fair share of clutches. I've driven cars with the RST and I can honestly say you won't notice the difference in drivability between the RST and the RXT. That said, I'd go with the RXT just for the peace of mind knowing you won't have any issues if you decide to run it hard at the track.
Scoggin Dickey stated there was a diff in the 2.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:43 PM
10 Second Club

The difference is marginal at best. You know where I stand. Call McLeod and see what their recommendation is.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

The RXT definitely does not have a harsh engagement it held up to track abuse and alot of street miles, I love it! probably the best clutch on the market. I liked it so much I put another one in my SS!

I say do the RXT and don't look back! If it helps my Girl never complained about the clutch when driving.

Last edited by SmokedOutZ28; 05-28-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
Scoggin Dickey stated there was a diff in the 2.
Only difference is the disc material with the ceramic giving more clamping force but driving characteristics will stay the same and the RXT can take more punishment.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexus6798
Only difference is the disc material with the ceramic giving more clamping force but driving characteristics will stay the same and the RXT can take more punishment.
I'd have to disagree. If they drove they same there would be zero reason for the RST to exist. The ceramic has a higher coef of friction and can handle higher temps. The trade off being a clutch that won't slip as much and will eat at the flywheel and pp faster. Granted it's nowhere near a sintered iron disk but it's certainly more aggressive than an organic disk.

The focus should be the 110% streetable. You will only get that with an organic twin plate(@550rwhp). Doesn't matter who makes it.

My only reason for picking the Monster over the McLeod is the warranty. Ya the Monster is more expensive but I love the idea of a rebuilt warranty.

With a stock sized MC the Monster lvl 1 feels just like stock. It drives just like stock and takes a beating. It is NOT an on/off switch either. You can feel when the two plates engage at different points in the pedal throw. The first plate will slip progressively less until the second kicks in. It will still slip if you let it but once you get to the end of the throw she holds like a mother.... It's also quite light. The 18lb flywheel is not the way to go unless you road race. The 28lb is (IMO) just right.

I would rate the manners like the RST with a slightly heavier pedal. Keep in mind I am VERY picky about my pedal feel. I have three wilwood MC's for my RX-7. All different sizes to get the throw and pedal how I liked. This isn't necessary with it installed in an F-Body.

Last edited by Exidous; 05-29-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:11 AM
10 Second Club

IMHO, the biggest difference in between the RST and RXT is the $200 price difference. I've driven both and I can say with actual experience that they feel almost identical. Both have the same feather light pedal, both have silky smooth engagement. But if you talk to Mcleod they'll tell you that RST was is not meant for track or competition use. The OP said he was going to take it to the track "once a month max." To me, that would rule out the RST. Now I have no experience with the Monster twin but they seem to be producing great results. That said, I'd be looking at the RXT or the Monster twin. Then it comes down to price.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

IMHO, the biggest difference in between the RST and RXT is the $200 price difference. I've driven both and I can say with actual experience that they feel almost identical. Both have the same feather light pedal, both have silky smooth engagement. But if you talk to Mcleod they'll tell you that RST was is not meant for track or competition use. The OP said he was going to take it to the track "once a month max." To me, that would rule out the RST. Now I have no experience with the Monster twin but they seem to be producing great results. That said, I'd be looking at the RXT or the Monster twin. Then it comes down to price.
+1 This is what I was told from Mcleod also. If you take it to the track, get the RXT. For just $200 more, I wasn't taking no chances. I don't want to have to purchase another clutch anytime soon.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

the clutch i have now when engaging bogs down the car to the point of it wanting to stall. it is VERY annoying to drive on the street and unsafe if you ask me. once the car is moving its fine. just driving up my driveway that is not flat not giving it much of any gas you let the clutch out slow the tires spin and it stalls bc there just isnt any give in the clutch, doesnt want to slip and doesnt engage smoothly, its kinda stupid having to rev the motor to 2000rpms and let the clutch out very slow just to move a foot. i understand some might not care that a clutch does this. i for one do. and as some have stated here they are picky about how there clutch engages and so am i.

now with that said will the RXT engage like what saw said above bc of stuff its made from??

i know everyone is diff and everyones car handles diff for all diff clutches. with the way my motor and cam act it needs a clutch that will "slip" or engage easy when you take off from a stop.

if you watch the mcleod video on this clutch on youtube they even state some clutches do as i stated. there was even a spec video i seen with the talking about the same thing and the owner took out the clutch for a diff one.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:12 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

the clutch i have now when engaging bogs down the car to the point of it wanting to stall. it is VERY annoying to drive on the street and unsafe if you ask me. once the car is moving its fine. just driving up my driveway that is not flat not giving it much of any gas you let the clutch out slow the tires spin and it stalls bc there just isnt any give in the clutch, doesnt want to slip and doesnt engage smoothly, its kinda stupid having to rev the motor to 2000rpms and let the clutch out very slow just to move a foot. i understand some might not care that a clutch does this. i for one do. and as some have stated here they are picky about how there clutch engages and so am i.

now with that said will the RXT engage like what saw said above bc of stuff its made from??

i know everyone is diff and everyones car handles diff for all diff clutches. with the way my motor and cam act it needs a clutch that will "slip" or engage easy when you take off from a stop.

if you watch the mcleod video on this clutch on youtube they even state some clutches do as i stated. there was even a spec video i seen with the talking about the same thing and the owner took out the clutch for a diff one.
The RXT wouldn't be nearly as harsh as what you have according to your description. It's not identical in engagement to the RST by any means, but it's not severely more harsh either.

I use the RST and personally know no less than a dozen locals who have either the RST or RXT and not one complains of drivability issues with the RXT, nor with durability when beating on the RST. I have no doubt the RST will drive exactly like you want, but that the RXT would meet your track needs. If you were to call me and ask for a recommendation I'd recommend the RXT if you truly track it once a month because no matter what it's gonna drive FAR better than how you've described your current clutch and will definitely live up to your usage.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 05-29-2013, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
The RXT wouldn't be nearly as harsh as what you have according to your description. It's not identical in engagement to the RST by any means, but it's not severely more harsh either.

I use the RST and personally know no less than a dozen locals who have either the RST or RXT and not one complains of drivability issues with the RXT, nor with durability when beating on the RST. I have no doubt the RST will drive exactly like you want, but that the RXT would meet your track needs. If you were to call me and ask for a recommendation I'd recommend the RXT if you truly track it once a month because no matter what it's gonna drive FAR better than how you've described your current clutch and will definitely live up to your usage.
well i said once a month to be on the safe side. i dont really see the track alot in the summer months. so really it would be 6 times a year on avg. but it does see some street playtime lol
Old 05-30-2013, 06:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The RST is a great clutch but is not made to slip hard for drag racing. The RXT loves to be beat on.

We install at least 1 RXT a week and everybody loves them. Very light peddle and easy to drive in Boston,Ma traffic. It's pretty much the only clutch we recommend now. I'm sure there are other good clutches out there but we tend to stay with what works.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
The RST is a great clutch but is not made to slip hard for drag racing. The RXT loves to be beat on.

We install at least 1 RXT a week and everybody loves them. Very light peddle and easy to drive in Boston,Ma traffic. It's pretty much the only clutch we recommend now. I'm sure there are other good clutches out there but we tend to stay with what works.
I need it to slip some in regular driving. Not on the track.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:32 AM
10 Second Club

I need it to slip some in regular driving. Not on the track.
It will do what you want it to do. It sounds like you're scared of the RXT. Theres nothing to be worried about with the RXT. My 404 with a 247/251 cam leaves from a stop light like a stock F-body would.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

It will do what you want it to do. It sounds like you're scared of the RXT. Theres nothing to be worried about with the RXT. My 404 with a 247/251 cam leaves from a stop light like a stock F-body would.
Yea that is true. Reason bc I dont want to waste the money like I did on the clutch I have now. Do you have to give it much gas when you take off from a dead stop so it doesnt bog the motor down and want to stall?? Or you can just let the clutch out normal and then give it gas when its fully engaged?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Wouldn't an RPS Twin Carbon-Carbon be good as well? It's a bit more money tho...
Old 05-30-2013, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

Do you have to give it much gas when you take off from a dead stop so it doesnt bog the motor down and want to stall?? Or you can just let the clutch out normal and then give it gas when its fully engaged?
Watch the first 10 seconds of my video when I was selling my 97 It has the RXT and hopefully you can tell from the video how it acts.

Unfortunately with a cam that has a lot of overlap it's hard to just let the clutch out and watch it go but me leaving in the video is usually how I drive it on the street unless I'm driving aggressively.

Don't be afraid of the RXT it worked very well with all GM master and Slave. In a few weeks I will see how it does with 700+hp and a Tick Master.

Quick Reply: 550rwhp 110% streetable (stock like) clutch.