Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Driveshaft won't fit in tail housing

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Driveshaft won't fit in tail housing

I just installed my LQ9/T56 combo into my '67 Camaro last week. Today I was going to install my old driveshaft to measure to have it shortened, and I couldn't even get it started. As soon as it got past the rubber seal, it stopped. I cleaned both parts with brake cleaner and lubed them both up before trying to install the driveshaft.

The driveshaft has less than 1000 easy miles on it and was mated to a 27 spline Saginaw transmission. I removed the driveshaft from the Saginaw and it slid out without any problems. The GTO T56 came out of a running/driving car, so I thought this would just slide right in. Unfortunately I did not test it when it was out of the car. The spines on the output shaft look straight without any obvious burrs, and the splines on the slip yoke look clean as well. Any thoughts?

Here are pics of the output shaft and the slip yoke:

Old 05-29-2013, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at the bushing that is in the tailshaft to make sure it didn't get bent or offset somehow, the second thing I would do is get some emery cloth (really fine sandpaper basically) and polish the yoke on the driveshaft really really well. When I went to install a new driveshaft in my t56 I had to polish the yoke quite a bit to get it to fit without having to force it.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:44 PM
TECH Veteran

If the above still does not fix it and if you want to do it right, remove the tail housing and use a brake hone to hone the tailshaft bushing out till the DS easily slides in. Removing the housing takes about 15-20 minutes and is not hard or risky.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys, I'll check the bushing tomorrow.

Can I remove the tail shaft easily with the trans still in the car?
Old 05-30-2013, 07:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 67rally
Thanks guys, I'll check the bushing tomorrow.

Can I remove the tail shaft easily with the trans still in the car?
Yes, drain it then drop about 8-10 bolts, disconnect a connector or two and it prys off.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Yes, drain it then drop about 8-10 bolts, disconnect a connector or two and it prys off.
Cool, I'll tackle that tomorrow. I know about the connectors and I know I need to remove the shifter cup as well. In my searching I found a post on another site that makes it sound more complicated. Do you know if there is any difference between the GTO T56 and the F-body one?

To change out the shifter cup assembly you will need the trans in a vertical position with input shaft down. You will either need a hole cut in a bench or it supported in some way in this position, if you don't the 5-6 gear assembly will fall out of the bearing cups when you remove the tail housing. You may not have to remove the housing the whole way but it will be easier to scrape the rtv and apply new. But before you remove the tail housing, take the two torx head screws out that hold the detent plate under the shifter cup. It has to slide out with it and be careful to not loose the detent ball when you pull the housing up.
Installing I have found that holding the detent spring and ball in with a tie wrap around it and then cut it once installed. It has to go together at the same time and an extra pair of hands is helpful but not necessary.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah I forgot to mention to pull the shifter. Remove the console, remove the shifter, drive a roll pin out of the cup block and remove the block. Very easy to do.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Yeah I forgot to mention to pull the shifter. Remove the console, remove the shifter, drive a roll pin out of the cup block and remove the block. Very easy to do.
Sorry, I was talking about where he mentions the 5/6 gear assembly falling out of the bearing cups if the trans isn't in the upright position.

I just installed the engine/trans so I haven't filled it with fluid, there's no console or shifter, so it should be pretty easy. I'm just worried about that 5/6 gear assembly, do you know if that's really an issue?

Quick Reply: Driveshaft won't fit in tail housing