Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Gearbox for 400lbs/ft of torque?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 05:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

You're easiest and cheapest bet would be to enquire with a reputable US vendor like RPM Transmissions, D&D, Tick etc etc.
Discuss what you're doing and let them do the hard work.

Supply clutch, trans everything needed right through to the transmission yoke/UK to let you hook up to a propshaft.

People will cry about the T56 having a crap shift. Ive never had issues. So I assume the TKO's will be similar.
It seems many people in the US, find it difficult to cope with a manual transmission/clutch. You'll see more threads about "faulty" clutches here than anywhere else in the world....and I suspect the driver ( or less so installer ) have a huge part to play with that.

And dont forget to google. It can be overwhelming, but what you seek will have been done before countless times

http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/?page_id=4416

Post #9 from Keisler transmissions

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=147299

Although by the looks of things, RoadcraftUK do seem to offer everything you would need as a complete package for either a TKO500 or 600 ( both of which will far exceed your power/torque requirements, and then some ), and if their prices are including the scummy extortion that is VAT, then the prices are keen too.

And here

http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-tr...l?dept_id=1857
Old 06-02-2013, 05:43 AM
9 Second Club

Although the BMW/Getrag option someone mentioned on the V8 Forum may well be the cheapest option, and BMW do make strong boxes.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks once again Steve

I'm going to check out your links now.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh and roadcarcraft is without VAT.............Expensive huh!!!

Old 06-02-2013, 06:42 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TableLeg
Oh and roadcarcraft is without VAT.............Expensive huh!!!

It's just UK prices really. They do have a business to run, and in doing so the scum in government want to extort money from them and us so they can line their greedy fat pockets and live lavish lifestyles and have huge pensions whilst keeping themselves employed doing nothing useful whatsoever.

But hey...that's getting off topic ! lol

No solution will be cheap, but as you said before, you want fit once and forget. In real terms, that is worth paying a little extra for, no matter where in the world it comes from.

If you physically have room for the T56, then it may actually be the cheaper option. You may never use 6th gear...but then if you dont, who cares ? 1-5 will be almost the same as any 5 speed box anyway.

And as far as fitting goes, it will be the easiest to bolt to the engine and source parts for.

If you contact Gary here, he breaks cars and might have some complete boxes, flywheels and clutches.

http://www.lsxv8.co.uk/monaro-salvage/

Or maybe give Craig at Dynotorque a shout in Birmingham, he does a lot of LS conversions.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Steve,

I already contacted Gary at Lsx. Having just been working out costing again I now again have another quandary (I really this would be straightforward!).

With my costing for a L33, with Ecu and loom, Flywheel, Clutch and a NEW gearbox the cost is £500 more than buying a pullout Ls2 'complete' with a T56 from Gary!

What do you make of that?
Old 06-02-2013, 06:59 AM
9 Second Club

You could of course save money not buying new though. L33 and Gary supply gearbox ?

OEM clutch would be more than up to your job, so if that was in good order, either re-use, or replace with new.
Many upgrade to an LS7 clutch, but this requires a flywheel. Your car is less then half the weight of any LS engined car, so a completely standard LS2/Monaro clutch will be more than you need, and cheaper.

LS2 front end would be better suited for you I presume, and ultimately for a n/a build it is a better engine ( Drive by Wire though, not always preferred )
The L33 does use a weird water pump, and the LS2 intake would be better and lower profile than the L33 too.

Buying the most complete package you can always makes the job easier. Which in turn can save money chasing parts.
There will always be additional costs no matter what route you take though.

A Monaro shifter position is quite far back though, so bare that in mind too. I think these can be changed, but it may involve box work, albeit minor. Rightmost image, GTO.

Google images is sometimes a better search engine than regular google !

Old 06-02-2013, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks again Steve.

I'm considering the L33 with a second hand T56 just because of its cost and availability. As far as the flywheel and clutch are concerned the only uncertainty I have is that invariably parts are categorised by the car they fit. In my case the engine is from a silverado 1500 pickup but as for the clutch and flywheel im not entirely sure, Corvette?

Last edited by TableLeg; 06-02-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:58 AM
9 Second Club

Clutch/flywheel fitments for pretty much all non LS7/9/A stuff use the same fitment ( 6 bolt flywheel )
Old 06-02-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

GTO bell, clutch and starter differ from F body. Not sure about the CTS-V.
The 98-02 F body T56s are the most common here. I know some have used the corvette clutch with them.
I thought the LS9 was a twin disc clutch and flywheel drilled differently for that clutch.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:25 PM
9 Second Club

To other posters...the biggest issue is the OP is based in the UK like myself.

So access to all these parts is very difficult. Used parts locally are almost non-existent.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Right a slight update.

A UK rebuilt T5 is out the question. £2640!!!

I have been looking at some of the US transmission companies, especially those linked to on this post. I like the look of these
http://www.keislerauto.com/Keisler_A...gineering.html especially the Rallyesport 5 speed. Anybody have any info on Keisler?

Despite not having received any replies from the companies I contacted in the US I have now found a UK company who deals with importing parts from the states.

This now means that if I find a suitable transmission I can now work out much it will cost in total for me to get it to the UK and determine if its cost effective.

The only other thing I have been looking at (I'm sure somebody already mentioned it) is Getrag gearbox from Bmw's. Supposedly the Getrag 265 is a bullet proof box, over engineered and can takes masses of torque with no issues. So far the only information I can find is that the 265 has a removable bellhousing but so far I am yet to find anybody who has successfully fitted one to an LS engine.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:10 PM
9 Second Club

Did someone on the V8 Forum not say they had a source for the Getrag-LS1 parts ?

BTW, they say out of stock, but if the price is the same, this may be an option. They actually had them on offer a while back for a lot cheaper

http://shop.partsworldperformance.co...l-transmission
Old 06-04-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Steve,

Yes I'd seen that a couple of weeks ago and have been checking it regularly to see if there was an update on the 'no stock'.

Have you seen the mods some of the trans companies have done to the TKO 600 in the US rending it with smooth and notch free changes?
Old 06-04-2013, 01:34 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TableLeg
Thanks Steve,

Yes I'd seen that a couple of weeks ago and have been checking it regularly to see if there was an update on the 'no stock'.

Have you seen the mods some of the trans companies have done to the TKO 600 in the US rending it with smooth and notch free changes?
It's a small market, they may only bring them in on customer request/deposit. So would be worth calling them

As for shift quality, as Ive never used a TKO, cant comment how good or bad it is. Again ask on PassionFord, as some of them have fitted them to their higher powered Cossies

People cry and gurn about the T56 shift quality, cant say Ive ever really had any problems with it.

Buying a 600 then having it modified, then buying a bellhousing etc etc etc is all going to cost a fortune.

The 6060 if you have room for it is supposed to shift very well, it will be stronger than you ever need, and is fairly complete as far as bolting to the engine.
All you need is a flywheel and clutch.

So something like that is looking to be pretty good value.

or, I have a good T56 here I could maybe sell. But I no longer have a bellhousing, as I sold the alloy one ages ago, and I use a steel BH on my car.
I had been keeping this as a spare....but it's been sitting spare for about 5 years lol

but again, the T56 and TR6060 are pretty damn big physically.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just to reiterate a question I think I have asked before.

When I start ordering parts for the L33 am I right in thinking that parts from the Ls1 should be interchangeable for the most part? I'm going to need a flywheel, and clutch plus I intend on fitting an Ls6 intake and injectors plus a cable throttle body. So a Chevy Corvette C5 1997-2004? Is that right?

Then when it comes to ordering gaskets I need to order them as a Chevy Silverado 1500 pickup?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks again Steve.

When you say the T56 is big, do you mean generally all over compared to the T5 or just longer?

I still have to be careful since the transmissions tunnel in my car is narrow to start. On my last build the T5 was a close fit.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:57 PM
9 Second Club

If a T5 is a tight fit, then you've no hope of fitting any 6 speed. They are massive by comparison, in every direction. Again, google images is great

Vette/Camaro etc of similar ages, say 2001/2 for simplicity sake will all have same flywheel, clutch etc. LS6 intake should already have the rubber o-ring type gaskets in it

Not sure what other gaskets you are referring to that you might need to order ?

The only real differences with flywheel fitment I'm aware of is either 6 bolt or 8 or 9 bolt. LS9/A etc have more bolts. All the older stuff LS1/2/3/6/7 etc are all 6 bolt as far as I know.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:01 PM
9 Second Club

This seller on egay seems to have some US engines for sale, one including a T5.

Maybe he has a source for used US T5's

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/34651812?_...p2047675.l2559
Old 06-04-2013, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Steve,

In those pictures it looks to me as if the T5 is slightly wider than the T56. The length is probably not going to cause me an issue but the width could. I see the T56 has the shifter in almost the same place as the T5 so again this is good.

I'll try a search and see if I can find actual dimensions to compare.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Gearbox for 400lbs/ft of torque?