Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Gearbox for 400lbs/ft of torque?

Old 05-30-2013, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Gearbox for 400lbs/ft of torque?

I'm in need of a gearbox for my project L33 engine.

I have been looking at new v's used.

I can get a Tremec TKO600 for £2800 ($4300)

or a used T56 for £1750 ($2600).

I obviously wouldn't know if there were any issues with the T56 but the cost difference is huge.

Not forgetting the T5 as well although I believe the rating is around 300lbs/ft so don't know if anything can be done to uprate it and increase its torque rating.

Any advice greatfully received.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 873 Posts

How heavy is the car that this will be going in?

Andrew
Old 05-31-2013, 12:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
How heavy is the car that this will be going in?

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply.

The car will weigh around 750Kg.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by TableLeg
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply.

The car will weigh around 750Kg.

I would think that in such a lightweight vehicle, even a T5 would give reliable service, and would certainly be the cheapest option.

But 400lbft and 750kgs wouldnt even cause the slightest bit of trouble to a T56 or TKO of any kind.

Well, unless the driver weights 12-1300kgs lol.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll be fine with a stock T56 and a decent clutch.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I would think that in such a lightweight vehicle, even a T5 would give reliable service, and would certainly be the cheapest option.

But 400lbft and 750kgs wouldnt even cause the slightest bit of trouble to a T56 or TKO of any kind.

Well, unless the driver weights 12-1300kgs lol.
Thanks Steve for the reply (we meet again!)

I thought about the T5 as well. Had no problems in the cossie and even that gearbox was second hand when I bought it.

Is there such a thing as an upgrade kit for the T5? Or should I plump for a used T56. I can get one used for around £1800
Old 05-31-2013, 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Guitar
You'll be fine with a stock T56 and a decent clutch.
Thanks Guitar for the reply
Old 05-31-2013, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Steve for the reply (we meet again!)

I thought about the T5 as well. Had no problems in the cossie and even that gearbox was second hand when I bought it.

Is there such a thing as an upgrade kit for the T5? Or should I plump for a used T56. I can get one used for around £1800
There is a ton of aftermarket support for the T-5. G-Force Transmission, PPG and I think Autogear (not sure), have complete gearsets and shafts available. You can even build a dog-ring box, if you want to.

I would start looking at the various Mustang and drag race forums and see what guys have for sale.

The T56 will certainly work, but it is a ******* tank of a transmission. It is about 130 pounds. With your light vehicle, I would hate to install such a heavy trans, when it's not needed.

Another option is the Richmond transmission. I run the Richmond 6 speed behind my LS engine in a heavy car. They are not the smoothest shifting transmissions, but they work.

Also, do you need overdrive?

Andrew
Old 05-31-2013, 09:40 AM
9 Second Club

I'd be inclined to agree with the above. It would be a shame to add such a heavy gearbox to a very light vehicle.

Bernie aka Gearboxman seems popular with the T5 Cossie guys, so he would be worth a call to see what upgrades he offers. And I think he does the G-Force stuff too.

There was another name mentioned over on PassionFord who the guys there liked, maybe ask over there.

The US based T5's are also slightly different than the UK based T5's, although not 100% sure. So again, it would be worth asking someone like Gearboxman in case he knows.

Or Real Steel in Uxbridge may keep some stocks of the US gearboxes, both TKO and T5. Although new is pretty damn pricey.
Pretty sure an SBC bellhousing fits, or one they call form SBC to Muncie or whatever ? Not familiar with US stuff.

Some links

http://www.gears.tv/products.html#
http://www.gearboxman.co.uk/index.html
http://www.realsteel.co.uk/section11.pdf

Passionford, go into General and search for "tremec"

http://passionford.com/forum/general...discussion-12/
Old 05-31-2013, 09:41 AM
9 Second Club

I'd be inclined to agree with the above. It would be a shame to add such a heavy gearbox to a very light vehicle.

Bernie aka Gearboxman seems popular with the T5 Cossie guys, so he would be worth a call to see what upgrades he offers. And I think he does the G-Force stuff too.

There was another name mentioned over on PassionFord who the guys there liked, maybe ask over there.

The US based T5's are also slightly different than the UK based T5's, although not 100% sure. So again, it would be worth asking someone like Gearboxman in case he knows.

Or Real Steel in Uxbridge may keep some stocks of the US gearboxes, both TKO and T5. Although new is pretty damn pricey.
Pretty sure an SBC bellhousing fits, or one they call form SBC to Muncie or whatever ? Not familiar with US stuff.

Some links

http://www.gears.tv/products.html#
http://www.gearboxman.co.uk/index.html
http://www.realsteel.co.uk/section11.pdf

Passionford, go into General and search for "tremec"

http://passionford.com/forum/general...discussion-12/
Old 05-31-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If you dont need OD and want a strength upgrade from a T5, Autogear makes a few improved versions of the Muncie. Available in a variety of ratios from narrow (2.2 1st gear) to wide (3.00 1st gear). Weight is about 70lbs.
I just did a DD budget 5.3 build with a T10 (3.42 1st gear) and 2.73 rear end, rather than spend a lot on an OD trans.
To upgrade a T5 can be rather expensive.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks both of you for the replies.

Steve,
I will look at the links you have provided. Thank you.

Gary,
I have never heard of 'muncie' so i'll go and search the internet and see if I can find out some more information. Thank you.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
There is a ton of aftermarket support for the T-5. G-Force Transmission, PPG and I think Autogear (not sure), have complete gearsets and shafts available. You can even build a dog-ring box, if you want to.

I would start looking at the various Mustang and drag race forums and see what guys have for sale.

The T56 will certainly work, but it is a ******* tank of a transmission. It is about 130 pounds. With your light vehicle, I would hate to install such a heavy trans, when it's not needed.

Another option is the Richmond transmission. I run the Richmond 6 speed behind my LS engine in a heavy car. They are not the smoothest shifting transmissions, but they work.

Also, do you need overdrive?

Andrew
Many thanks Andrew for the reply

Another reason I don't think the T56 is a viable option is that I'm unlikely to ever get into 6th gear very often.

Only trouble again I am finding is the lack of suitable gearboxes here in the Uk.

As an example I compared what it would cost to import a TKO600 from Summit racing and the box delivered including import duty and VAT was £2200 compared to £2900 here. That's a no brainer. With the money I could save importing it from the US I could buy the bellhousing and a Flywheel for the same price!!!

I've just never imported anything no naturally I am a bit wary of it although I have heard many people on cars forums have do so without any issues.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Many thanks Andrew for the reply

Another reason I don't think the T56 is a viable option is that I'm unlikely to ever get into 6th gear very often.

Only trouble again I am finding is the lack of suitable gearboxes here in the Uk.

As an example I compared what it would cost to import a TKO600 from Summit racing and the box delivered including import duty and VAT was £2200 compared to £2900 here. That's a no brainer. With the money I could save importing it from the US I could buy the bellhousing and a Flywheel for the same price!!!

I've just never imported anything no naturally I am a bit wary of it although I have heard many people on cars forums have do so without any issues.

No problem...

A "muncie" is the old 4 speed that was used in just about every GM muscle car. It is called a "muncie" because it was manufactured at the Muncie, Indiana GM transmission plant. They are known for their buttery smooth shifting and have decent strength. There is a company (AutoGear) that makes modern versions that a lot guys use.

Again, what is the intended purpose of the car? Do you need overdrive?

Andrew
Old 05-31-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks again Andrew for the information.

The car will mainly be used on the road with the odd track day.

As for whether I need overdrive, no I don't think so.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

You have to be old like me I guess. 4 speed 1:1 4th gear, no OD.
Check out Autogears website. They seem the have the most upgrades/options available.
Gary,
I have never heard of 'muncie'.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:49 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks again Andrew for the information.

The car will mainly be used on the road with the odd track day.

As for whether I need overdrive, no I don't think so.

yes, but as the car should perform well, it isnt so much do you need an overdrive, but will a 1:1 top and your chosen diff/tyre combo give you a sensible cruise rpm and top speed.

I'd be inclined to think not, unless your chosen diff was very tall.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
yes, but as the car should perform well, it isnt so much do you need an overdrive, but will a 1:1 top and your chosen diff/tyre combo give you a sensible cruise rpm and top speed.

I'd be inclined to think not, unless your chosen diff was very tall.
Exactly...Give that the car is lightweight (what is it anyway?) and that you will have plenty of power, I see no reason that you can't run a tall (something like a 3.0) rear gear, and use a 4 speed transmission with 4th gear being 1:1.

If a transmission with 1:1 4th gear is expectable, then this opens up the choice of transmissions. You can even use a surplus NASCAR dog-ring transmission, a Muncie, or a Borg Warner T10. First gear in the trans can be around 2.5x, like a wide ratio Muncie (M20). Surplus NASCAR transmissions are often outfitted with first gears in the 2.5-2.7 range.

Food for thought...

Andrew
Old 05-31-2013, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks again guys

The rear diff ratio is 3.92. Tyre's likely to be 40 profile on 17" rims (24.7")

Are there 'standard' ratios for the likes of a T-10 so I could put them into a speed/rpm calculator and see what each gear will yield in terms of road speed.

Don't forget that my experience of gear box diffs and ratio's only extends to having fitted compatible parts before, therefore your information relating to the gear ratios/diff ratios is now something I am trying to get my head around. Please bear with me.

Last edited by TableLeg; 05-31-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-31-2013, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks again guys

The rear diff ratio is 3.92. Tyre's likely to be 40 profile on 17" rims (24.7")

Are there 'standard' ratios for the likes of a T-10 so I could put them into a speed/rpm calculator and see what each gear will yield in terms of road speed.

Don't forget that my experience of gear box diffs and ratio's only extends to having fitted compatible parts before, therefore your information relating to the gear ratios/diff ratios is now something I am trying to get my head around. Please bear with me.

The 3.92 rear gear might be a little short without O.D., especially with relatively short tires.

There are various version of T-10s, but I think the most common has a 2.43 first gear. You can google that info...

Also check out this spreadsheet...it should have more info that you need...

http://www.pro-touring.com/~andrewb/gtov2/Gears.xls

Andrew

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gearbox for 400lbs/ft of torque?