Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

BRAND NEW TWIN DISC MONSTER CLUTCH WILL NOT SHIFT INTO ANY GEAR- little help ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Physically impossible that my shim was installed with the twin originally.

I was physically looking at my old Spec that came out of my car on Friday WITH my shim in my old Slave.

Whatever the issue is, I just want it fixed. Now it's a matter of waiting for the clutch to get shipped back to Monster, them to address any physical issue, then ship it back to the shop, then reinstall the clutch, and hopefully drive without issues.

Already been a week into this endeavor. I have no idea what kind of turnaround I'm looking at now.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Dragon

I am not talking about "slave shim". I am refering to shims used to set disc/floater plate stack height. I don't know if Monster clutch uses them but my Mcleod does. My point is "if" the Monster clutch has them, they need to be put on (if they were removed for install purposes) back EXACTLY as they were when the unit was delivered.

The pic below shows what I am talking about. Again don't know if the Monster twin has them but would assume so since each disc is "slightly" diffrent in thickness when made. On my clutch there were .050 in shim thickness (.020, .020 & .010 shim on each floater stand + the spacer) to give me the ideal .020-022 clearance between bottom disc and floater plate when bolted up.
Attached Thumbnails BRAND NEW TWIN DISC MONSTER CLUTCH WILL NOT SHIFT INTO ANY GEAR- little help ...-mcleod-shim-stack.jpg   BRAND NEW TWIN DISC MONSTER CLUTCH WILL NOT SHIFT INTO ANY GEAR- little help ...-mcleod-mic-measure-shim-stack.jpg   BRAND NEW TWIN DISC MONSTER CLUTCH WILL NOT SHIFT INTO ANY GEAR- little help ...-mcleod-clutch-w-balance-marks-2.jpg  
Old 06-05-2013, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have what may be a dumb question, i asked this in the forum here about how did gm do it bleeding the clutch when installing the car on the assembly line but got no answer.
when you disconnect the quick disconnect line from the slave before removing the transmission, you lose no fluid correct? why can't you bench bleed the clutch master cylinder, bench bleed the slave, install slave into transmission, install master into car, install trans to car, connect master hydraulic line to slave and done ? isn't that the purpose of having the quick disconnect line from the master to the slave and isn't that how gm did it on the assembly line?
And i by doing both things on the bench, you can easily get the air out of them and also verify operation before installing.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

There are no shims involved with the monster multi-disk clutches anywhere. Couple washers for the bolts holding the PP on. :-) Not the slave or to space the PP. The only thing that's special about the Monster install is the special throw out bearing.

It is always possible that something was mechanically wrong with the clutch and I'm sure Steve will get to the bottom of it.

If I can install this thing in my driveway by myself and a lo pro jack I think it's a pretty straight forward install. I do not measure anything at all. The only thing I had to do was try different Master cylinders but that is SOLELY because it's in my RX-7 and by pedal throw a bit different.

She really is a sad piece to hide. You can see that the fingers are completely flat and require the rounded throw out bearing.
Attached Thumbnails BRAND NEW TWIN DISC MONSTER CLUTCH WILL NOT SHIFT INTO ANY GEAR- little help ...-monster-clutch.jpg  
Old 06-14-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

UPDATE:

FedEx'd the clutch back to monster last week Thursday June 6th.

Have not received an update.

Really don't want my car to be down a month for this clutch.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:22 PM
FormerVendor

We recieved the clutch on the 10th which was a Monday. We evaluated the unit and asked the techs at Black's Tire Service some questions about the install. We had the clutch rebuilt and on the way back to you by the end of the week.

The reason behind the issues were the lower disc was tweaked by what looks like the discs not being completely aligned during installation. There were impact marks on the front edge of the splined hub that indicated this. Because that disc was warped it caused disengagement issues which subsequently overheated the floater and warped it slightly. I replaced both discs, the floater, and the pressure plate with new units. I also tested the unit for torque, lift, and release before shipping it back to you.

I apologize for the delay, let us know if you have any other questions.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Question

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
. . . I replaced both discs, the floater, and the pressure plate with new units. I also tested the unit for torque, lift, and release before shipping it back to you . . .
I don't know if they reached you yet, but the shop had concerns (clutch has not been reinstalled yet BTW)

I was told the floater was not replaced. Think they said the pressure plate wasn't replaced either (not sure about that).

They took pics when they opened the box and were gonna email me in the am but I am just going to the shop first thing at opening.

They definitively said the discs were replaced and the slave was replaced as well.

If the floater and/or pressure plate weren't replaced but "serviced" at your facility, will this cause clutch issues?

I am asking because this has already been a VERY expensive endeavor AND my car has been down going on a month now.

I'm sure you understand.

Thank you.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

Photos were taken when it came out of the box from FedEx late yesterday afternoon.

Discs were new and the slave was new as well.

Floater and Plate were not (unless the wear shown in the photos is normal).

Below the spring is uneven by ~1/8" from one side of the spring to the other side. I was concerned this would cause unbalanced pressure and cause the uneven wear on the plate (you can see uneven wear in the first photo); you said you tested the clutch and that it works fine.

Hard to tell from that angle and in a photo but it is uneven.

I could not care less how it looks, at this point I just want my clutch to WORK properly and get what I paid for.

They are installing the clutch this afternoon.

Last edited by The Dragon; 06-20-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:18 AM
FormerVendor

What a disaster... call me before they install that unit! Those are not the floater and pressure plate that I tested that unit with. I can't imagine how the balance guys could have possibly installed the old parts back in the damn clutch, but, that's what appears to have happened.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Are you ******* serious right now!?!?!?!

This is UNACCEPTABLE!!!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:49 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by The Dragon
Are you ******* serious right now!?!?!?!

This is UNACCEPTABLE!!!
I am absolutely serious and you couldn't be more right, this is completely unacceptable.

What you need to do is pick up the phone and call me instead of posting here so I can get you handled. I understand you're pissed and you have every right to be, but, us going back and forth here isn't getting anything done.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

I am absolutely serious and you couldn't be more right, this is completely unacceptable.

What you need to do is pick up the phone and call me instead of posting here so I can get you handled. I understand you're pissed and you have every right to be, but, us going back and forth here isn't getting anything done.
I "posted here" to get immediate response; which is exactly what you did.

UPDATE: Chris called me and apologized for their mistake.

Now the clutch has to be shipped back to Texas again.

They are overnighting it back to Texas and overnighting it back here to South Carolina in hopes of getting it here "by Saturday."

I hope it's the right clutch, with the right parts, and works.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:10 PM
FormerVendor

Getting responses on a forum do nothing for the situation, all it does is waste our time typing. Calling on the phone is what gets things done immediately.

Like I said in the phone call, we'll overnight the part back to us, get the right parts in it, and overnight the unit back to Black's Tire Service for delivery on Saturday. I talked to Steve and he said that he'll contact Black's to pay for the reinstallation since all this b.s. has happened.

At this point, I'm doing everything I possibly can to fix our screw up.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Getting responses on a forum do nothing for the situation, all it does is waste our time typing. Calling on the phone is what gets things done immediately.

Like I said in the phone call, we'll overnight the part back to us, get the right parts in it, and overnight the unit back to Black's Tire Service for delivery on Saturday. I talked to Steve and he said that he'll contact Black's to pay for the reinstallation since all this b.s. has happened.

At this point, I'm doing everything I possibly can to fix our screw up.
You do everything you say and everything works and that will make it square.

I appreciate your efforts thus far.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:04 PM
FormerVendor

Tracking # for the clutch is 796052427412, will let you know when it's headed back your way tomorrow.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Did this work out for you?
Old 07-05-2013, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ls1/srt
Did this work out for you?
Yes.

They next-day aired the clutch back and forth on their dime as promised, and paid for re-installation of the clutch.

I edited the original post.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same issue, gota monster twin disk SK kevlar and installed it and had the exact same issues as you did. Now I have a $1200 paper weight.I installed a ls7 clutch and

it works perfect.

Quick Reply: BRAND NEW TWIN DISC MONSTER CLUTCH WILL NOT SHIFT INTO ANY GEAR- little help ...