Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Question for Monster Stage 3 users

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Question for Monster Stage 3 users

I'm getting my car back tonight from my builder/tuner. WS6 got new AI heads, 44lb/hr injectors and a Monster Stage 3 Clutch and Tick Master put in. My builder/tuner texted me this morning and said the clutch touchy as hell; either "on or off". Is this how the clutch is? After it's broke in, will it still be like this?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it will be really driveable once broken in. Still a bit grabby but by no means hard to drive. I used to daily drive mine.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99french
No it will be really driveable once broken in. Still a bit grabby but by no means hard to drive. I used to daily drive mine.
Ok, so this is normal right after install? I plan on getting this thing broke in ASAP because I want to get a full WOT tune on the car because right now, my builder/tuner has just done a driveability/normal driving tune.

Also, he said he may need to adjust the pedal to my liking, which he said is easy to do. Is this adjustable from under the car?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:54 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is definitely an on/off switch. I had one in my 2000 SS I had. I didn't mind driving it around in traffic at all.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
It is definitely an on/off switch. I had one in my 2000 SS I had. I didn't mind driving it around in traffic at all.
Thank you for the information. I'm looking forward to picking up the car tonight and driving it.

Can you comment on adjusting the pedal height, like where you adjust it at and how easy it is to do?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:24 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Thank you for the information. I'm looking forward to picking up the car tonight and driving it.

Can you comment on adjusting the pedal height, like where you adjust it at and how easy it is to do?
Do you have a Tick master cylinder? If so, you use that to adjust the pedal height for engagement. I forget what the exact procedure is but there should be some threads floating around on it. It's been a while since I have messed with a manual car, ha.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Do you have a Tick master cylinder? If so, you use that to adjust the pedal height for engagement. I forget what the exact procedure is but there should be some threads floating around on it. It's been a while since I have messed with a manual car, ha.
Yes, I have the Tick Master cylinder too. I'll have my builder/tuner show me because he said it's easy to do and that I will likely want him to adjust the height to my liking. I just hope I get used to driving this thing pretty quickly. I don't want to look like an idiot and keep killing the car.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Adjust it at a max of about 3/4 in above you brake. Test adjustment by putting the car in gear on level ground and rev it up. If she creeps forward bring pedal up 1/2 to a full turn and try again. Yes you get to look like an ******* just revving his car lol.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99french
Adjust it at a max of about 3/4 in above you brake. Test adjustment by putting the car in gear on level ground and rev it up. If she creeps forward bring pedal up 1/2 to a full turn and try again. Yes you get to look like an ******* just revving his car lol.
To get to the adjustable part of the Tick Master, all you have to do is remove the two panels underneath the steering wheel, correct? Is this what adjusts the pedal height, or is that something else?
Old 06-03-2013, 02:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

nope thats pretty much it. just go under there and loosen the jam nuts and start adjust the pedal.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by redbird555
nope thats pretty much it. just go under there and loosen the jam nuts and start adjust the pedal.
Thank you guys for all the help; it's much appreciated I haven't even picked the car up yet or driven it since all these things were installed, but I'm just trying to figure out what to expect. If price didn't matter, I probably would have went with a twin disk setup, but I got a killer deal on the Monster Stage 3 w/ Tick Master, new slave, throwout bearing, alighment tool, etc., plus I read really good reviews on this particular setup. I may have some more questions tomorrow morning after driving the car around tonight.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Enjoy and try not to get enticed by mustangs like me
Old 06-04-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

I picked the car up last night after the new heads, injectors and clutch were installed. I was expecting the clutch to be way more of a bitch than it realy was. Going from 1st to 2nd was a bit tricky because it's really hard to "feather" the car, but that was really the only problems I had. Going into all the other gears was fine. The engagement is toward the very top, which is going to take some getting used to, but won't be a major issue. I'll work on getting the clutch broke in the way that Monster states I should, which will also help me learn the best way to use the clutch and get used to how it reacts. Overall, I'm very satisfied. Just can't wait to get the car back for the max effort tune once this thing is broke in.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked the car up last night after the new heads, injectors and clutch were installed. I was expecting the clutch to be way more of a bitch than it realy was. Going from 1st to 2nd was a bit tricky because it's really hard to "feather" the car, but that was really the only problems I had. Going into all the other gears was fine. The engagement is toward the very top, which is going to take some getting used to, but won't be a major issue. I'll work on getting the clutch broke in the way that Monster states I should, which will also help me learn the best way to use the clutch and get used to how it reacts. Overall, I'm very satisfied. Just can't wait to get the car back for the max effort tune once this thing is broke in.
Glad you like it

Put some miles on it an then let us know what it puts down!
Old 06-04-2013, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Glad you like it

Put some miles on it an then let us know what it puts down!
Will do. My builder said this clutch was probably the easiest one he's ever installed; gave him no problems at all.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will do. My builder said this clutch was probably the easiest one he's ever installed; gave him no problems at all.
Awesome

Old 06-05-2013, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

One final question: Right now, the clutch pedal sits about 1/2 an inch above the brake pedal. If I want to get the clutch pedal even with the brake pedal, do I just adjust the Tick Master Cylinder by taking off the two panels underneath the steering wheel? If that's correct, what would I do once I'm down there? Or, is where the clutch pedal's at the optimal spot for it? Just seems to me that the pedal travel is a little long. I understand that even by lowring the clutch pedal, the engagement is still going to occur at the top of the release.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

You don't want to get it even with the brake pedal. You need to get it even where it is correctly positioned. I believe that is where it is able to easily slide into first without force? Not sure exactly, there is a guide on it.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Guitar
You don't want to get it even with the brake pedal. You need to get it even where it is correctly positioned. I believe that is where it is able to easily slide into first without force? Not sure exactly, there is a guide on it.
When I push in on the clutch pedal and put it in 1st, it's very smooth and goes into gear just fine; just like it does with all the other gears. Based on this, I guess I'll just leave it alone.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started with the clutch pedal about an inch below the level of the brake pedal. I could shift ok but it was slightly notchy getting into 1st and reverse from a stop, passed the rev test though. Went home and adjusted it to the height of the brake pedal and now it's perfect for me. If I were you I'd bring the clutch pedal down to the level of the brake pedal and see if it still goes into 1st smooth and all the other gears. No need to over extend the pressure plate fingers if you don't have to. Plus I tried mine with the clutch pedal higher than the brake pedal at one point just to see what it would be like. Shifting was no better for me, and having the clutch throw that long felt awkward.

Quick Reply: Question for Monster Stage 3 users