Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

C5 Tranny Rebuild Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question C5 Tranny Rebuild Question

Hi Guys,

I usually don't ask questions on here, just read others threads and do a lot of thread searching. However, my Corvette is having some serious tranny issues. A few days ago while driving on the highway at about 60 in 6th gear, and I went to downshift to 5th gear to pass a few cars. Well my gearbox has always been notchy/imprecise since I bought the car (I think its aftermarket) and I unintentionally shifted into 3rd. As soon as I began to let the clutch up in 3rd I heard the motor rise and I shifted back into 6th because I didn't need that much power to pass. I then immediately tried to go from 6th to 5th but my shifter was stuck in 6th. I was totally shocked, I have never had any sort of issue with the tranny.

I have been assuming the worse case scenario. So I am preparing myself for a tranny rebuild. It might not need that, but I always assume and prepare for the worse. I have been reading some previous tranny threads and have come away with a few shops in Orlando (I live in the Orlando, FL area) that would be good. Top two are Lamatta Performance and Ken's Performance. I have been thinking of just buying a built on from a vendor like Tick Performance. Ken's Performance told be that they would charge $585 to pull mine out and put another in. I think that is reasonable. I have seen one on Tick's website for about $1900 that is suppose to handle about 600 pounds of torque. I feel that if I have someone rebuild mine, that I could run into quite a few issues like broken gears etc. that could cause the price to go up substantially. Most of my quotes have been around $2800 for a rebuild of mine.

With a Tick or another already built tranny I wouldn't need to worry about broken gears etc. I am prepared to spend around $2500 on this project. Please let me know what your suggestions would be. Or if you guys think I am going or thinking about this wrong. Or even if my info is incorrect. If you guys know of better shops or better vendors for a rebuilt tranny please let me know. Absolutely any information, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post and thank you for any help.

Quick Reply: C5 Tranny Rebuild Question