Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick Master installed! Couldnt be happier!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 04:40 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tick Master installed! Couldnt be happier!

I put my Tick MC in last week and WOW. The clutch feels way better and shifting is much smoother! I can powershift easily now and couldn't do it at all before. The install wasn't that bad, took maybe 2 hours with some breaks and beer drinking in there too. I started with the pedal as short as it would go. I lengthened it little by little until I could get the car in gear. Then started test driving it and adjusted more from there. I ended up with my pedal sitting about even with the brake pedal. Heres a short vid "attempting" to shift it on the floor lol

Old 06-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Haha nice. Were you having high-rpm shift problems before? Clutch pedal wouldn't come back up all the way? Mine does that... :C

Funny I had a 95 Formula that I sold for my 99 Trans Am.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:59 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

It just did not want to go in gear at high rpms. It would rake sometimes and other times you could get it, but you could never grab the next gear with any sort of speed. I never had problems with the pedal sticking
Old 06-25-2013, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by darkvader0
Haha nice. Were you having high-rpm shift problems before? Clutch pedal wouldn't come back up all the way? Mine does that... :C

Funny I had a 95 Formula that I sold for my 99 Trans Am.
Thats what mine does, Getting one of these when I do the new clutch.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

Good deal. Yeah, I will be getting one too when mine comes down.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad you like it. I couldn't be happier with mine. It really makes driving the car so much more enjoyable.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

OP, I've got a Monster Stage 3 clutch with Tick Master and I just adjusted the clutch pedal height 2 nights ago. Before, the clutch pedal was like 2 1/2 inches above the brake pedal and the overall clutch travel was so annoying. I adjusted it to just about dead even with my brake pedal and I don't have any issues getting it into gear. My question is this; have you drove the car extremely hard since you adjusted the pedal height? Now that the pedal is even with the brake pedal, the clutch pedal itself doesn't feel as hard to push down. I was just wondering if the clutch pedal still comes back up ok under high RPM shifting.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by b0b
It just did not want to go in gear at high rpms. It would rake sometimes and other times you could get it, but you could never grab the next gear with any sort of speed. I never had problems with the pedal sticking
That was me.
Regular driving was fine.
But hard races and track days were just disappointing. I prob lost about .3 to a half sec at the strip from granny shifting or not revving past 6k.

This is the most necessary mod for a 6speed ever
Old 07-04-2013, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imma have to try this soon. Does it make the car more of a PITA to DD?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Imma have to try this soon. Does it make the car more of a PITA to DD?
Less of a PITA to DD. The tick should make getting into first and reverse easier also.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
OP, I've got a Monster Stage 3 clutch with Tick Master and I just adjusted the clutch pedal height 2 nights ago. Before, the clutch pedal was like 2 1/2 inches above the brake pedal and the overall clutch travel was so annoying. I adjusted it to just about dead even with my brake pedal and I don't have any issues getting it into gear. My question is this; have you drove the car extremely hard since you adjusted the pedal height? Now that the pedal is even with the brake pedal, the clutch pedal itself doesn't feel as hard to push down. I was just wondering if the clutch pedal still comes back up ok under high RPM shifting.
Nate,

The reason it is easier to press the pedal downwards is that you have decreased the amount of stroke your master cylinder has. Because of this, you have decreased the amount of fluid you're cylinder is moving. As a result, the effort required to depress the pedal is now lessened.

The reason our master cylinder makes your clutch pedal effort higher is due to the amount of increased fluid volume that it moves due to the increase in bore diameter our master has over the factory master. The longer the stroke(higher the clutch pedal) the more fluid volume that the master cylinder moves. Think of it as an air pump(or in this case a fluid pump). The longer the stroke and larger the bore the more volume it will move.

This is why the pedal is a bit heavier with ours, but the result is lightning fast shifting that could never be accomplished with the factory master AND our LIFETIME WARRANTY that accompanies the product.

How many aftermarket products do you know of that carry a lifetime warranty? Not very many...

Thanks for all the kind words as well guys! Tick Shift FTW!
Old 07-05-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Nate,

The reason it is easier to press the pedal downwards is that you have decreased the amount of stroke your master cylinder has. Because of this, you have decreased the amount of fluid you're cylinder is moving. As a result, the effort required to depress the pedal is now lessened.

The reason our master cylinder makes your clutch pedal effort higher is due to the amount of increased fluid volume that it moves due to the increase in bore diameter our master has over the factory master. The longer the stroke(higher the clutch pedal) the more fluid volume that the master cylinder moves. Think of it as an air pump(or in this case a fluid pump). The longer the stroke and larger the bore the more volume it will move.

This is why the pedal is a bit heavier with ours, but the result is lightning fast shifting that could never be accomplished with the factory master AND our LIFETIME WARRANTY that accompanies the product.

How many aftermarket products do you know of that carry a lifetime warranty? Not very many...

Thanks for all the kind words as well guys! Tick Shift FTW!
Thanks for that explanation Martin. I've read that nearly everyone who installs the Tick Master adjust the clutch pedal to the same height as the brake pedal, which is currently where I have mine. Do you think were it's at now will move enough fluid for high RPM shifting (i.e. the clutch pedal not sticking on the floor)? If not, I'll adjust it higher. Before I adjusted it, the clutch pedal was almost 3 inches higher than the brake pedal.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:06 PM
FormerVendor

Only one way to find out Nate. Try it. 90% of the installs we do end up level with the brake pedal for best operation with an aftermarket clutch.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good stuff!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well Martin, got the car fully tuned and Kent said where I have the clutch pedal is ******* perfect. I love the way it feels. Honestly, it feels the same way is it did when it was a completely stock clutch. I love driving this car.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 AM
FormerVendor

That's awesome Nate!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't tell much difference then before with pedal feel. Maybe a little higher where it engages but that's it.

I can't believe years of frustration where solved with this.

Anyone who reads this thread with a 6speed.
JUST DO IT STOP READING AND JUST GO DO IT.
YOU'RE WELCOME.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bar none. tick master best upgrade on 6 spd
Old 07-14-2013, 01:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I just installed a tick master. Couldn't shift above 4k rpm, or get into reverse or first. Now it shifts smoothly all the way to redline, and the engagement is more precise. Absolutely necessary mod for a 6 speed, I can finally drive the car.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:10 PM
TECH Junkie

About 2 years ago I bought a Monster Stage 2 clutch and Tick MC direct from Tick, and I have never missed a shift since.

Quick Reply: Tick Master installed! Couldnt be happier!