Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Twin Disc Clutch to go w for the Street?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 06:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Firehawkls7
W having the Single Disc Monster 3 in the F-Bodies ya have to have a Tick Master or Larger Bore Master Cyc. for it to work right Correct?!

Just got off Ticks site looking at the Twin Disc Selections, I didnt know Monster made a Twin, how new are these? I dont hear any feed back from ppl running them but the info on them sounded good
99% of the clutches we install here are with stock master cylinders.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Monster Level 3 with a Tick Master.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Disc Clutch to go with for the Street

There are a number of good options as indicated above and with actual use. I too searched/researched for some time seeking a replacement for the aftermarket twin-friction, single disc clutch which had simply worn out and way too soon. It worked, but had very high pedal pressure and a release that required more precise attention. The manufacturer no longer makes the unit and probably for good reason.

Although I have similar torque/horsepower to you in a C5 Corvette, I wanted a return to better release characteristics and far greater life. The R/R in a C5 is labor intensive and I am getting old.

Anyway, after much consideration, I decided to install the relatively new Centerforce DYAD dual-disc clutch which is a design departure from most other dual-disc units. It used stock MC and slave unit, minor increase in clutch pedal pressure and has demonstrated relatively low noise. After proper break-in and daily use I must say it has been a very worthy choice. I enjoy release well away from the floor which it has; slight rattle with clutch disengaged, but I do have some lope which helps that happen otherwise quiet; smooth engagement at start and between gears; very postive clamping when dropped at higher RPM's. All in all it does what I paid for!

Did go from an aluminum flywheel/smaller diameter PP and that was a concern with the heavier unit. I do road track the car from time to time and enjoy the quicker spool-up/down the lighter unit provided. But, the DYAD uses a very relieved billet steel flywheel in the parimeter of the unit and no aluminum option as the flywheel is an integral part of the design. In use, I don't actually feel much difference there either. Lastly, the build quality was very high and included an individual test sheet for reference.

Trust this may be useful. Appears you have some very good choices any way you go...

A1
Old 08-23-2013, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a RXT twin in the car and so far it has done well. Never had any luck with aftermarket single disc. If I had stayed with a H/C and not running a sticky tire then a ls7 clutch is better then most singles.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

If money isn't an problem, might look into the Exedy GT01SD or GT01XD. I ran the SD in my supercharged V (4000lbs and 500rwhp) and it was awesom. The XD will hold more power but I've never heard how they feel. I had issues with a stock LS7 clutch and a SPEC stage 3 sticking to the floor and after the Exedy went in all my shifting issues went away. Us V guys don't have an option for an aftermarket master so I had to find something that would work with stock hydraulics which the Exedy did perfectly.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Launching!

I had a McLeod in my 70 Challenger with XV Motorsports level 2 kit and never let me down. Now I have a Center Force clutch. My RST and master feels perfect in my SS. Pedal pressure feels like stock. No chatter or noise. When I slam 2-3-4 up shift and down, no problem engaging. Granted only 1500 miles on it so far but I'm not worried. McLeod has been around for ever.

Last edited by 38DD2436; 08-26-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Hey Raven, Is your Quote from Poe?
Old 08-25-2013, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love my McLeod RXT with stock master cylinder. Can't even tell I put a clutch in the car. I plan on having about 600hp at the wheels when finished and have no doubts about it. It feels great and can be driven in traffic with no effort.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Launching!

For those of you Posting Im Curious which Twin Disc ya have and how many Miles ya got on the Clutch?

Theres always this route also, and no clutch noise what so ever w the Zr1 Clutch!

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_10...m/viewall.html NOTE: This is for C6 only...

Lingenfelter says> "The Lingenfelter ZR1 flywheel and clutch kit includes all of the major components required for installation in a C6 Corvette, and fits in the 2005-2010 C6 Corvette (LS2, LS3 and LS7 equipped vehicles). However, due to the larger diameter of the LS9 clutch, it does not fit in 1997-2004 C5 Corvette bell housings."

BUT Katech has a Zr1 Clutch for a C5> http://store.katechengines.com/ls9r-...-z06-p300.aspx

Maybe Katech is using a Different Pressure Plate? I kind of doubt it tho......Time to make a phone call lol
Old 08-29-2013, 09:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Theres always this route also, and no clutch noise what so ever w the Zr1 Clutch!

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_10...m/viewall.html NOTE: This is for C6 only...

Lingenfelter says> "The Lingenfelter ZR1 flywheel and clutch kit includes all of the major components required for installation in a C6 Corvette, and fits in the 2005-2010 C6 Corvette (LS2, LS3 and LS7 equipped vehicles). However, due to the larger diameter of the LS9 clutch, it does not fit in 1997-2004 C5 Corvette bell housings."

BUT Katech has a Zr1 Clutch for a C5> http://store.katechengines.com/ls9r-...-z06-p300.aspx

Maybe Katech is using a Different Pressure Plate? I kind of doubt it tho......Time to make a phone call lol
The C5 was the most difficult application for the LS9 clutch conversion that we had to develop, but we did it. LPE is right, there is not enough room in the bellhousing. Unlike our F-body kit, you can't just space the transmission back far enough because it's a torque tube and transaxle. So, we made a new flywheel and moved the clutch assembly as far to the engine as we could. We still needed more space so there is a small bellhousing spacer that is about 3/16". It's enough to gain bellhousing clearance in addition to moving to clutch forward, but not too much that it moves the drivetrain too far. We also had to design a billet slave cylinder that recesses much of the slave into the pocket in the torque tube.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 38DD2436
Hey Raven, Is your Quote from Poe?
Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm in the military and saw it on the side of one of our ISU storage bins that's going overseas with us.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Launching!

That would explain the Price jump from all the other Ls9 Clutch kits Vs the C5 Ls9 Clutch kit, I would assume that the bell housing spacer is a one piece ring or 2 piece that seals the bellhousing up still and still uses dowel pins to keep everything from twisting?

And since we're moving the Bellhousing back by 3/16" and the Rear Transaxle Cradle is Dowel Pinned also how hard is it to get it back under the car and bolted in? Is there any modifications that have to be done on the Rear Cradle as well?

Last edited by 1999Firehawkls7; 08-29-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That would explain the Price jump from all the other Ls9 Clutch kits Vs the C5 Ls9 Clutch kit, I would assume that the bell housing spacer is a one piece ring or 2 piece that seals the bellhousing up still and still uses dowel pins to keep everything from twisting?

And since we're moving the Bellhousing back by 3/16" and the Rear Transaxle Cradle is Dowel Pinned also how hard is it to get it back under the car and bolted in? Is there any modifications that have to be done on the Rear Cradle as well?
One piece bellhousing spacer. You have to elongate the trans mount holes but that's about it.

Quick Reply: Twin Disc Clutch to go w for the Street?!