Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Diagnosing Problem Shifting into 1st/Reverse at a Stop

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Diagnosing Problem Shifting into 1st/Reverse at a Stop

I have a T56 with 80,000 miles on it in my Z28. I'm having issues getting the transmission in 1st and Reverse while at a stop. It will go in if I roll forward/back a few inches. I've tried the press clutch and rev method, car does not creep at all. At WOT, no problems whatsoever. It seems like the shifter is not hitting the gate correctly. No grinding or vibration while trying to get it in gear. Here's a rundown of what we're working with.

- T56 with 80,000 miles
- Transmission fluid changed with GM fluid 3,000 miles ago
- GM updated slave cylinder with 3,500 miles
- Tick Performance adjustable master cylinder with 3,500 miles
- Clutch pedal height adjusted to be about 1" lower than the brake pedal
- LS7 clutch with 3,500 miles
- LS7 flywheel with 3,500 miles
- Motul 600 DOT4 clutch fluid freshly bled with a vacuum bleeder
- Hurst Billet/Plus short throw shifter with 3,500 miles

Typically it's a clutch disengagement issue when you're having 1st/Reverse problems. I've bled the clutch fluid so that is not the cause. The shifter is adjusted correctly, so that also would not be a cause. My components are still fairly "new", so I would HOPE that is not the cause. It's probably not a synchronizer problem since I can shift into 2nd-6th just fine.

Do you think my clutch pedal height is not correct? The Tick master has a larger diameter hydraulic line and I'm wearing of pulling it up further risking damage to the slave cylinder, as well as maxing out the LS7 pressure plate adjustment, which from what I've read, is self adjusting.

I'm stumped. Can anyone throw in their $0.02?

Last edited by dirtbag; 09-02-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

did you get the Tick speed bleeder as well? makes bleeding much easier, either way it takes time...do you have any "spongy" feeling at the top of the pedal?...if you are certain there's no air in the system, I would try adjusting the pedal height up one turn at a time (you shouldn't have to go any higher than the brake pedal)...if your problem persists, you may just have a synchro issue with 1st & reverse
Old 09-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by manzo81maro
did you get the Tick speed bleeder as well? makes bleeding much easier, either way it takes time...do you have any "spongy" feeling at the top of the pedal?...if you are certain there's no air in the system, I would try adjusting the pedal height up one turn at a time (you shouldn't have to go any higher than the brake pedal)...if your problem persists, you may just have a synchro issue with 1st & reverse
Yes I have the speed bleeder and there definitely is no air in the line. I went through half of a bottle rebleeding it on three occasions to make sure.

No grinding or vibrations trying to get it into gear, which tells me it's not a synchro. Maybe I'm wrong... I've only felt sluggish synchronizers on a Nissan 5 speed.

So far it seems the only logical fix is either adjusting pedal height up one turn at a time until it is level with the brake pedal, or flushing the transmission fluid again. Maybe someone at Tick Performance could chime in on max recommended clutch height with their master cylinder?

Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm buying an SS that has the same issue. 1st and reverse are a pain to get into. The seller said his transmission guy told him he had a bad fork. Not sure which fork though.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

hopefully someone chimes in for you, but FWIW Tick performance & Monster clutches have both recommended to me & others to adjust the pedal until the car will smoothly go into 1st while running...if you're still 1" below the brake pedal, I would say you can safely adjust higher...again, one turn at a time and you shouldn't need to adjust any higher than the brake pedal
Old 09-02-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtbag
I have a T56 with 80,000 miles on it in my Z28. I'm having issues getting the transmission in 1st and Reverse while at a stop. It will go in if I roll forward/back a few inches. I've tried the press clutch and rev method, car does not creep at all. At WOT, no problems whatsoever. It seems like the shifter is not hitting the gate correctly. No grinding or vibration while trying to get it in gear. Here's a rundown of what we're working with.

- T56 with 80,000 miles
- Transmission fluid changed with GM fluid 3,000 miles ago
- GM updated slave cylinder with 3,500 miles
- Tick Performance adjustable master cylinder with 3,500 miles
- Clutch pedal height adjusted to be about 1" lower than the brake pedal
- LS7 clutch with 3,500 miles
- LS7 flywheel with 3,500 miles
- Motul 600 DOT4 clutch fluid freshly bled with a vacuum bleeder
- Hurst Billet/Plus short throw shifter with 3,500 miles

Typically it's a clutch disengagement issue when you're having 1st/Reverse problems. I've bled the clutch fluid so that is not the cause. The shifter is adjusted correctly, so that also would not be a cause. My components are still fairly "new", so I would HOPE that is not the cause. It's probably not a synchronizer problem since I can shift into 2nd-6th just fine.

Do you think my clutch pedal height is not correct? The Tick master has a larger diameter hydraulic line and I'm wearing of pulling it up further risking damage to the slave cylinder, as well as maxing out the LS7 pressure plate adjustment, which from what I've read, is self adjusting.

I'm stumped. Can anyone throw in their $0.02?
What if you try to put it in 2nd at a stop? If you push the clutch in with the car in gear on a flat surface and rev the engine does the car feel like it wants to move? You need to isolate the problem to either the clutch or tranny. My car doesn't always want to go right into reverse at a dead stop unless I jog the clutch a little.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by td1168
What if you try to put it in 2nd at a stop? If you push the clutch in with the car in gear on a flat surface and rev the engine does the car feel like it wants to move? You need to isolate the problem to either the clutch or tranny. My car doesn't always want to go right into reverse at a dead stop unless I jog the clutch a little.
Not sure what you mean exactly by jog the clutch, but could be your master cylinder is having blow by if you are having to pump the pedal to get it into gear. Though I would start with checking the fluid and flushing the system if it's dark.

OP, I would trying adjusting the pedal up higher to see if it helps. You should be able to go as high as 1" above the brake pedal without causing any pressure plate damage.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:24 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I had mine 1/2" below and had these exact issues. I put it level with the brake and its perfect now. Adjust the pedal higher.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Launching!

I have some time to adjust it tomorrow and report back whether or not it fixed the problem. Thanks again for the responses!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see it noted specifically in your posts but are you pumping the pedal and seeing improvement in release? If so, I agree that bleed-by is a likely cause and this would point at replacing a worn/leaky cylinder.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
I don't see it noted specifically in your posts but are you pumping the pedal and seeing improvement in release? If so, I agree that bleed-by is a likely cause and this would point at replacing a worn/leaky cylinder.
No I didn't pump the pedal and see improvement in release. Adjusted the clutch up another 3/4" ended up addressing the issue. Any higher and it feels like the clutch is not engaged 100%.

Thanks the the input fellas.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:19 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad to see you got it all worked out.

Quick Reply: Diagnosing Problem Shifting into 1st/Reverse at a Stop