Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick master cyl has developed dead space

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 04:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Tick master cyl has developed dead space

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue...I installed the Tick adj master cyl on my stock LS6 clutch setup, and then shortly after installed a Monster level 2 package with new slave cyl, pressure plate, single disc, flywheel & pilot bearing...after about 200 miles with the new setup & an adjustment to pedal height, the master developed a dead space or sponge for the first 1/2"-1" of travel...I've tried eveything I can to bleed this dead space out, but it still remains and there's no air exiting the bleeder...I disconnected the master line from the slave to bleed from there but still had that dead space in the pedal, so that confirms the issue is in the master cyl...I also tried bleeding just the spongy part, but no go...I sent it off to Tick for them to inspect, and they told me this dead space is normal...I'm still concerned though because I have to adjust my pedal higher to compensate for the loss in travel...

So my question is, does anyone else have this same sponge/dead space with their tick master? I thought it was supposed to be solid the whole way?
And, if it's supposed to be normal, why didn't it have any play/sponge initially?

BTW: The master has about 1000 miles on it total now
Old 09-19-2013, 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

tick speed bleeder to bleed...I have no external leaks..like I said, sponge is definately in the master, proved that by disconnecting from slave...when that's done, I should have a solid pedal, but there's sponge for almost the first inch
Old 09-19-2013, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about it. My Tick is the same way. I tried bleeding just the dead space with nearly an entire bottle of fluid and it never changed. I have about a 1/2"-3/4" of dead space. I just adjusted the pedal a 1/2" higher to make up for it and it's great.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

Cool, thanks for the input...it's just wierd how it wasn't like this when it was new...maybe just a break in thing???
Old 09-20-2013, 09:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has the same soft spot at the top of the travel. Ive read if you use a speed bleeder you can get rid of it by bleeding just the 1" of travel thats soft. Its in the sticky at the top fwiw
Old 09-20-2013, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Tilton 7/8 bore and it has the same (dead spot) I thought it was just me.

Quick Reply: Tick master cyl has developed dead space