Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster Stage 3 Disk Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STEEPSS
I think you've been drinking the Kool-Aid. The pictures on their website look exactly like the one in the car.
Here is a monster flywheel #28. Its pretty darn obvious the clutch was rubbing in your flywheel.
Attached Thumbnails Monster Stage 3 Disk Failure-mfw.jpg  
Old 09-25-2013, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hats off to Monster for promptness. I ordered the disk at around 3 on monday, and FedEx just called and said they were leaving it on my porch!
Old 09-25-2013, 10:14 AM
FormerVendor

The flywheel machining was altered a while back to allow quicker/more efficient machine time, nothing wrong with yours
Old 09-25-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
The flywheel machining was altered a while back to allow quicker/more efficient machine time, nothing wrong with yours
I don't believe you. I think I'll take my advice from the expert in this thread

Badazz, I think the rubbing you're seeing is where the spring came out and was rubbing between the clutch disk and flywheel.

Last edited by STEEPSS; 09-25-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by STEEPSS
I don't believe you. I think I'll take my advice from the expert in this thread

Badazz, I think the rubbing you're seeing is where the spring came out and was rubbing between the clutch disk and flywheel.
Some people...I tell you.

I didn't say anything was wrong with the flywheel. All I said is Monster must have changed the design and it was just confirmed... it was. You look at the picture of your flywheel there is gouging in the center. It doesn't take an expert to see these features. What is debatable? Good job bashing the Monster clutch because you don't know how to install one. Hopefully you swap out your "bronze bushing" and not see any future issues.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Well put.

SLP IROC-Z obviously you've got an issue with my company/product. Call me or email me and I'll be happy to go over any issues your friend or you have had. That said, I've got thousands of clutches out there with zero issues, so, to say all our clutches are have bad things happen is a bit ridiculous.

As far as the OP, you obviously know where we are on this. Considering the clutch is 3 years old and you've had the transmission out and serviced there is something going on. Running a pilot bushing isn't recommended with the T56. You said you pulled this 4,000 miles ago and all was well, when you pulled it this time the pilot bushing was ovaled. A disc isn't going to cause this. And the thing that causes a hub to come a part is resonation or a failed pilot bearing/bushing. Considering the pilot bushing was ovaled it is no surprise this happened. You cannot get an accurate measurement on runout unless the input shaft is removed from the transmission.

Just to reiterate, the ovaled pilot bushing killed the clutch, the input shaft wasn't being supported therefore the disc took the brunt of the vibration, etc. I don't care who's disc it is, if there is nothing supporting the end of the input shaft things like this are going to occur.

I would pull the input shaft and verify the runout. I would also have the transmission checked over when this is done. Make sure that everything is 100% before you put it back together. Also, put a pilot bearing in the car.
first off i am the friend that SLP IROC-Z was speaking of. And i don't care what you say your service sucks and your product sucked even more. My car is a heads cam car made 438hp on a mustang dyno at slowhawk performance. I bought my my first monster clutch on a new years or Christmas sale. I installed it a few months later when the snow cleared so i could get a lift to use . I have previously installed 50 or so clutches in my life time. I installed it per the instructions. clutch felt awesome drove it nicely for about 1000 miles and then wham the thing locked up the first time i took it to the track after about my 15th run over the coarse of a few days . It locked so hard i could not brake it loose. I sent them photos and they gave me a pull **** story that my car must have leaked oil on the clutch. So I and joe who has been a mechanic for many years took a look not one drop nothing from the crank nothing from the slave. Still they refused to cover the clutch. Finally one of their major dealers looked at the clutch in person called them and practically demanded that the clutch be replaced.After this they covered it now i get the new clutch and joe and I installed it I broke it in properly again drove it in Boston traffic a few times. after about 700miles of this I go to the track . I put 5 passes on it joe put on 2 then I put 3 on it in mater of 4 hours letting it sit for 10 or more minutes after each pass. On the last pass i heat the tires I let off the line lock and i press in the clutch and the car stalls. I push in the clutch and the car rolls forward from the starter.I have the car towed home order up a mcleod rxt and since then put thousands of miles on my car and hundreds of passes. buy the way before i put the monster in i had four years of track time and 40,000 miles on a stock truck that had 60k on it when i bought the car.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW same thing happened to my Monster Level 2 and I was told it was a trans issue as well...which it turned out not to be upon complete tear down of my transmission.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

mine was a stage 3
Old 09-25-2013, 06:23 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by c4boom
first off i am the friend that SLP IROC-Z was speaking of. And i don't care what you say your service sucks and your product sucked even more. My car is a heads cam car made 438hp on a mustang dyno at slowhawk performance. I bought my my first monster clutch on a new years or Christmas sale. I installed it a few months later when the snow cleared so i could get a lift to use . I have previously installed 50 or so clutches in my life time. I installed it per the instructions. clutch felt awesome drove it nicely for about 1000 miles and then wham the thing locked up the first time i took it to the track after about my 15th run over the coarse of a few days . It locked so hard i could not brake it loose. I sent them photos and they gave me a pull **** story that my car must have leaked oil on the clutch. So I and joe who has been a mechanic for many years took a look not one drop nothing from the crank nothing from the slave. Still they refused to cover the clutch. Finally one of their major dealers looked at the clutch in person called them and practically demanded that the clutch be replaced.After this they covered it now i get the new clutch and joe and I installed it I broke it in properly again drove it in Boston traffic a few times. after about 700miles of this I go to the track . I put 5 passes on it joe put on 2 then I put 3 on it in mater of 4 hours letting it sit for 10 or more minutes after each pass. On the last pass i heat the tires I let off the line lock and i press in the clutch and the car stalls. I push in the clutch and the car rolls forward from the starter.I have the car towed home order up a mcleod rxt and since then put thousands of miles on my car and hundreds of passes. buy the way before i put the monster in i had four years of track time and 40,000 miles on a stock truck that had 60k on it when i bought the car.
First and foremost - "they" would have been me as I own Monster Clutch Co., your story doesn't sound familiar so we can start with the basics - what's your name? Hell, send me an email (steve@monsterclutches.com) and I'll gladly go over this with you.

You can say our clutches are garbage all you want, fact is we've got thousands of them that are out there with absolutely zero issues. If all the clutches we sold were crap we would have been out of business long, long ago. Hell, we've got guys running 9's in the clutch you said you welded together... something is going on.

Originally Posted by LS1rob00
FWIW same thing happened to my Monster Level 2 and I was told it was a trans issue as well...which it turned out not to be upon complete tear down of my transmission.
What's your name? Same as above, if you feel you were not handled in the manner you see fit then contact me directly. At least give a name so I can look up the situation so both sides can be put out there.

It's not uncommon for guys to post that they had an issue when someone else does - just as a large group of guys post when others have had success.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

100 trouble free miles on the new disk.

I installed it with a bearing, just for YOU badazz. You might want to re-read this thread if you think this was put up to bash monster.

You need to cheeeeel out.

Wu saaaaaaa

After all, we're dealing with pieces of metal here. No need to get worked up.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had two monster clutch discs fail in my car so its not new news to me. When the third one fails i will post up a pic of all three lol.

Op, did you use a bearing this time instead of a bushing? Are you running the stock bellhousing or an aftermarket?
Old 09-26-2013, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nmass399
I have had two monster clutch discs fail in my car so its not new news to me. When the third one fails i will post up a pic of all three lol.

Op, did you use a bearing this time instead of a bushing? Are you running the stock bellhousing or an aftermarket?
I went back in with a bearing. Stock F Body bellhousing - but I might be upgrading to an SFI one over the winter.... I like my ankles.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

My name is Chris Baburins and i had called you and you told me that it was do to a oil leak of my rear main seal witch is full of **** because i also sent you a pic of the rear seal that was dry as a bone. in the end I showed one of your major dealers in Massachusetts and he said there was no thing on the clutch and demanded you to replace it so you replaced the first one on good faith as you stated. Then when the second one let go I gave up on them considering how big of a fight it was for the first one. since then that dealer is no longer a dealer of yours due to to many recalls and flex plate issues causing failures. so this is why do not like your product or service. since this i have put an mcleod rxt in my car and have put 3 times the miles and 5x the numbers of track passes on it and have not have one issue.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:08 PM
FormerVendor

I've got you purchasing a clutch 12/10 and I sent a warranty out 07/11. I have no images via email and I've searched back to 2008. What you've shown above is images of a clutch that's been incredibly hot. This is multiplied two fold by the thinner lightweight flywheel you were using. 9 times out of 10 the breakdown of clutch material like you've shown is caused by a fluid contamination. Judging from these images there doesn't appear to be a fluid issue. When replaced if it did the same thing I would have advised checking setup height, spacing on this particular car to make sure the clutch wasn't being preloaded slightly. Unless you were making in excess of 700 rwhp and just beating the crap out of the car, or, you drive around riding the clutch pedal, this should not have happened. Considering your McLeod is doing well I sincerely doubt it's the second one.

I have no email from anyone "demanding" me to replace it, furthermore I don't warranty things based off of demands.

I'm not here to get into a pissing match, you had an issue 2+ ago and I never received the clutch back to prove or disprove your claim. You had an issue with my clutch, I understand that. I could send you 100+ emails and point you to countless threads where people are raving about my clutches that make more power than you, etc. all saying how much they love it. Would that change your mind? I sincerely doubt it. Your McLeod is treating you well, don't think they (or any other manufacturer for that matter) don't have issues too.

OP, glad you're back on the road and happy. Pilot bearing/bushing failures are a bitch.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

He sent the clutch to you and it was warrantied. That one blew up to. Do you think he has nothing better to do than make things up?
Old 09-26-2013, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

the clutch was set up perfectly i tested this by before taking the car off the lift putting it in first gear and this is with 4.33 gears with the clutch pushed in half way with no braking with the e brake of while idling and reving the rear tires never moved so there was no clutch contact.At the time of my first clutch my car was stock with exhaust and a lid made 332hp on a dyno jet by the time of the second on the car was heads cam making 438hp.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:36 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SLP IROC-Z
He sent the clutch to you and it was warrantied. That one blew up to. Do you think he has nothing better to do than make things up?
I'm curious... where's this blown up clutch you speak of? The clutch in the pictures shows signs of serious heat, etc. - no explosions present. Also, please provide tracking of the returned clutch...

You can't because you're not involved other than just spreading what your friend tells you. Do you own a Monster? Have you had direct issues or use of a Monster? You cannot form an accurate opinion if you have no experience of your own. You're speaking for your friend.

Originally Posted by c4boom
the clutch was set up perfectly i tested this by before taking the car off the lift putting it in first gear and this is with 4.33 gears with the clutch pushed in half way with no braking with the e brake of while idling and reving the rear tires never moved so there was no clutch contact.At the time of my first clutch my car was stock with exhaust and a lid made 332hp on a dyno jet by the time of the second on the car was heads cam making 438hp.
What you're saying is that the clutch was actually disengaging at half pedal travel. That actually backs up my theory of a possible pre-load condition. Pre-load is where the clutch is being slightly released at rest... not the other way around. This slight release will cause the issues you had to happen without fluid contamination.

You realize that for the friction material to liquify and break away like it did the temperature of said friction has to exceed 700* F... this is easily caused by a pre-loaded clutch.

My biggest question is this - what do you expect to gain from this two years later? Other than spreading that my clutches are crap, which isn't the case otherwise I wouldn't be here... you had a bad experience. I have -zero- emails from you where the first one failed, and none that I could find from Don. Further, I never got the clutch back to test it... I'm all for making people happy, but, you obviously are beyond that.

At this point we're just crapping in this guys thread. I'd be more than happy to discuss this further with you over the phone if you have a solution in mind. Otherwise, we're just arguing/debating with each other for no reason.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

I am involved seeing as I removed the first one that blew up and installed the replacement you sent him. That one blew up to, I removed it and installed the Mcleod. The second clutch is sitting here at my shop still. It welded itself together. That one broke a year ago and the car sat until the spring. Your not the one that had to push the car around your lot and be responsible for it for months at a time, not once but twice. Oh yeah and replace it for free since thats how I take care of MY customers. Chris may be my friend but he paid for it to be installed.

Youre very good at trying to minimize and deflect things. Also good at trying to place the blame on anything but your product. Ive over heard the phone calls, pretty ridiculous and insulting actually.

Its actually good to see you do it on here it only supports the way we feel about you.

Just because you seem to not have a recollection of it all doesnt mean either one of us are having a lapse in memory.

Last edited by SLP IROC-Z; 09-27-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...........Otherwise, we're just arguing/debating with each other for no reason.
...but I thought the internet was primarily for ****, secondarily for arguing/debating each other for no reason, and in a tertiary function provide a little information o_O

OP: I'd be quite interested in updates when you go to the SFI housing whether it is via pm or reading a thread :-)
Old 09-27-2013, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clutch welded itself together? Yow, that's a heapin' helpin' of heat! I have to wonder if there was some of the aforementioned pre-loading going on to get that hot.

Quick Reply: Monster Stage 3 Disk Failure