Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

PPG sequential gear box conversion for T56!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

too deep for my pockets, but wouldnt mind seeing some videos of one of these in action.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Mark,

Is this dead in the water?

Andrew
Old 08-19-2015, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

One can get the PPG sequential.... but they are still well over $20K.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gnx7
One can get the PPG sequential.... but they are still well over $20K.
Mark,

Do you know if they will sell the sequential shifter mechanism separately? I just picked up a straight cut gear, dog-ring box (for nowhere near 20K...LOL) I just don't see how PPG thinks they are going to sell these in any sort of volume at that price. Just their internals are double of what the G-Force internals go for.

Andrew
Old 08-20-2015, 05:17 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Mark,

Do you know if they will sell the sequential shifter mechanism separately? I just picked up a straight cut gear, dog-ring box (for nowhere near 20K...LOL) I just don't see how PPG thinks they are going to sell these in any sort of volume at that price. Just their internals are double of what the G-Force internals go for.

Andrew
The shifting and dog mech will be vastly different to the OEM style internals, so there would be no way the two would interchange. A sequential box where everything is internal, is always more than just a basic mech change if done correctly

There is however the sequential shifter, which would allow sequential shifts with any type of dog engagement box ( or slower with synchro )
it isnt cheap either of course, but it is much cheaper than a full sequential setup, especially if you already have the dog gears.

http://www.s1sequential.com/t56-sequential-shifter/

I'm sure PPG dont expect to sell volumes, but maybe some of the V8 race cars that would have moved to Hollinger now have an easier option for similar money ?
Old 08-20-2015, 07:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
The shifting and dog mech will be vastly different to the OEM style internals, so there would be no way the two would interchange. A sequential box where everything is internal, is always more than just a basic mech change if done correctly

There is however the sequential shifter, which would allow sequential shifts with any type of dog engagement box ( or slower with synchro )
it isnt cheap either of course, but it is much cheaper than a full sequential setup, especially if you already have the dog gears.

http://www.s1sequential.com/t56-sequential-shifter/

I'm sure PPG dont expect to sell volumes, but maybe some of the V8 race cars that would have moved to Hollinger now have an easier option for similar money ?
As far as you can tell, the S1 shifter is vapor ware.

Andrew
Old 08-20-2015, 08:11 AM
9 Second Club

Andrew
There are videos of a prototype working, and they did release a price. Of course that doesnt mean there are units to purchase.

But much the same as the $20k PPG seq....it will have a very very limited market because of the sale price.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:40 PM
9 Second Club

Andrew

Seems there may be some light at the end of the tunnel for this one, and it's a little cheaper than initial reports ?

email says

The price on these will be $2650 AUD which at the moment is just under 1900 USD .

Old 10-14-2017, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Anyone actually have this? Is the PPG box being used? Anyone have examples?

Andrew
Old 10-14-2017, 02:02 PM
9 Second Club

I do try and keep an eye on these things, but I've only heard of a couple really.

Vengeance use them on the white n/a car, although it is ******* fast. Not sure if they use them on any others.

The only high powered car I've heard anyone mention ( after I questioned someone over on the Vette forum who said the PPG was well proven at 2000hp etc etc ) uses one is the Calvo Viper, which is also pretty fast, I think 208mph over 1/2 is their best. Well proven ? 1 car is hardly well proven...but it's a good start.

Are those enough examples to prove the worth of the PPG ? I really dont see it given the huge cost. But it's better than none. Given the regular boxes are very strong, I guess it's no surprise the likes of PPG would be much stronger.

But they only offer a small handful of ratios too, which may or may not suit.

Nice to have options though, but just so damn expensive. If it did prove to be a solid 2k performer, then I guess for those it would be worth it.

At the lower powered end of things...not so much, there are cheaper sequentials.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

There are a number of people running them; however it doesn't really spill out onto the forums. I know the Calvo Viper is one of the shops making a ton of power thru them. Many are using them in road racing and in the Optima series. All said and done its still $20K+ with all the necessary components.

You could buy nearly 7 T56 Magnums for that
Old 10-18-2017, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I saw a video yesterday of a Supra built by RealSt in Florida that is running one of the PPG units. Its a t56 they with V160 like ratios. The video I saw was of it on the dyno.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's the dyno video and a half mile race with the setup I mentioned above.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:05 PM
9 Second Club

What on earth are they doing to make the cars so unstable they're spinning at speed ?

Or is that the chute making it dangerous ?
Old 11-02-2017, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I read through some of the comments and one person suggested it was because of the height of the chute causing lift once deployed. So maybe it was bad implementation but Real St. knows their stuff so maybe it was a crosswind or something.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:24 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
I read through some of the comments and one person suggested it was because of the height of the chute causing lift once deployed. So maybe it was bad implementation but Real St. knows their stuff so maybe it was a crosswind or something.
Seem to be a few videos online of various cars at these top speed events doing the same....the worst being that orange lambo a few years ago that got destroyed ( although to be fair, the other videos of it would suggest the guy driving didnt have a clue how to handle such a car either )

Really....get up to speed, and just let the car slow down naturally and safely ! They scrub off serious speed at the top end very quickly anyway even without much braking and cars seem to remain far more stable than when chutes are used. It seems chutes are more dangerous than they are safety !
Old 11-02-2017, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Seem to be a few videos online of various cars at these top speed events doing the same....the worst being that orange lambo a few years ago that got destroyed ( although to be fair, the other videos of it would suggest the guy driving didnt have a clue how to handle such a car either )

Really....get up to speed, and just let the car slow down naturally and safely ! They scrub off serious speed at the top end very quickly anyway even without much braking and cars seem to remain far more stable than when chutes are used. It seems chutes are more dangerous than they are safety !
I haven't been to any of the half mile events yet but I have read some have some pretty short and scary shut down areas for 200+ mph cars so maybe that's why they just start chut'ing (lol) all the cars.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:41 PM
9 Second Club

Possible...but then if there isnt sufficient safe braking area, then such cars should not be allowed to run.

Although if my car could accelerate from 150 to 200mph as fast as it decelerates that same range even without brakes, I'd be more than happy lol

My car slows down like **** in that range without even trying, but takes a few seconds to get there.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:10 AM
9 Second Club

Interestingly another sequential shifter due to appear.

https://www.bremershifters.com/
Old 11-03-2017, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Interestingly another sequential shifter due to appear.

https://www.bremershifters.com/
Pretty light on details...

Andrew

Quick Reply: PPG sequential gear box conversion for T56!