Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New PP with 6 Puck clutch disk?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New PP with 6 Puck clutch disk?

Dumb question......... I have a brand new Exedy clutch assembly that was given to me. I want to buy a stage 5 Competition Clutch 6 puck disk for $130. My question is would that pressure plate and the Competition Clutch work together? Im basically mix matching parts. A whole performance clutch assembly is $400+. So money is an issue. I was just trying to save money. The flywheel has been turned and its going into a new 383 build. Has anyone did this before? It should work as long as the disk has the same diameter (I think?). I would think the new PP has enough meat on it to support the performance disk. Help me out please...........
Old 12-30-2013, 02:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

all LT1 clutch kits/brands use the same PP so no issues on using brand "A" disc with brand "B" PP. if all componets are new

many used to buy a Autozone kit for around $200 and use the McLeod, or other brand, DF disc to save $ over buying the whole kit from some "performance" clutch company. They all use the same PP. some claim to "modify" them for increased clamp force...still no diffrence as they all bolt up and will work.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ******
many used to buy a Autozone kit for around $200 and use the McLeod, or other brand, DF disc to save $ over buying the whole kit from some "performance" clutch company.
So ******, do you have a pn# for a McLeod disk? I read their the best...... Could I use a twin McLeod disk setup with the new PP? Thanks for the info!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 04:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SwampWS6
So ******, do you have a pn# for a McLeod disk? I read their the best...... Could I use a twin McLeod disk setup with the new PP? Thanks for the info!!!!!!
the McLeod disc is a "dual friction" disc with ceramic puc one side and organic on the other. You were considering a CC 6 puc disc, assume both sides, which is a more aggressive disc design that a "dual friction" disc of any brand. CC clutch also makes a "DF" disc. You can buy their clutch kit with PP & DF disc (2.5) for $300. I ran one but it, like any other single disc clutch I have run with the 383, just slips after about a year.

I went with a McLeod Street Twin clutch and absolutely love it. Not cheap but I should have done it when I converted from A4 to T56...would have been $ ahead and not had to replace the variety of $300-$600 single disc clutches I did.

looks like the McLeod DF disc is now $216. shop around for the disc type you want. I suspect the CC will be the cheapest...and people report good things about their "clutches" but mine wore as fast if not faster than other brands.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/y...-based-engines
Old 12-30-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks a lot bro! You really helped me out a lot in my decision. I think im going with the CC 6 Puck design. Its the most cost effective. When im more financially stable I will most def get the McLeod Twin Disk!
Old 01-03-2014, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

******, here is a link on the disk im thinking about getting. Tell me what you think. Just before I pull the trigger!

http://www.maperformance.com/competi....html?_rfkwc=1
Old 01-03-2014, 09:55 AM
TECH Veteran

it will "fit". just understand 6 puc ceramic disc clutches are aggressive and street maners are compromised for holding power. They are prone to chatter if you slip the clutch is stop/go traffic. They like quick engagement.

Quick Reply: New PP with 6 Puck clutch disk?