Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

pros and cons of twin clutches

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 12:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rxt has a sprung hub also. RST does not, but both work VERY well.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Correct, 24lb is the heavier of the two LT1 flywheels...yet still lighter than the 28lb singles, I think you're confused that the factory LT1 clutch with it's dual mass flywheel is the heavy beast as Exidous was mentioning above

Thanks for the kind words Looking forward to your new numbers!

Well said

Thanks Ray, looking forward to you besting your current record with it!
Are the lt1-sc and them organic or ceramic?? Is this Steve or Chris? I've talked to Steve already.. I'm ready purchase a clutch like I've told Steve before but wanna know it's the right one for what my usage is and easy on the trans.. dissipates heat.. billet fly.. not to heavy but not to light either.. been trying do homework before pulling the trigger on a clutch setup..
Old 03-05-2014, 12:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
Rxt has a sprung hub also. RST does not, but both work VERY well.

If I were to get the McLeod it would be the rxt. Bc holds more.. Idk much about McLeod.. except the v6 pp and it grabs hard
Old 03-05-2014, 01:02 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I would not worry about holding power from the RST. The RST has held quite a few corvettes and Fbodies I have personally installed them on. One was a reg LS6 high comp, custom cam. Another was a 408 vette. Another a forged LS6 with a 200 shot and 5-6k rpm dump at the line. The Fbody was a forged 366 with 250 shot. None of them had a problem. It does engage a bit more docile than the RXT does, hence the sprung hub.

On the other hand, we have sold so many monsters and they have such good reviews.

It is really up in the air.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:12 AM
TECH Regular

I would not worry about holding power from the RST. The RST has held quite a few corvettes and Fbodies I have personally installed them on. One was a reg LS6 high comp, custom cam. Another was a 408 vette. Another a forged LS6 with a 200 shot and 5-6k rpm dump at the line. The Fbody was a forged 366 with 250 shot. None of them had a problem. It does engage a bit more docile than the RXT does, hence the sprung hub.

On the other hand, we have sold so many monsters and they have such good reviews.

Well I'm ready to buy a clutch.. trying decide which tho... McLeod rxt twin... monster lt1-sc twin...I wanna have better street/strip trans.. does either of these two.. slip for a split second like for at the track before engagement to help the shock of the trans( so doesn't hurt it) and helps with traction to
Old 03-05-2014, 04:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's in his sig.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

Going pull trigger on clutch soon as I have all my info and best deal
Old 03-05-2014, 04:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ws6guy27
Are the lt1-sc and them organic or ceramic?? Is this Steve or Chris? I've talked to Steve already.. I'm ready purchase a clutch like I've told Steve before but wanna know it's the right one for what my usage is and easy on the trans.. dissipates heat.. billet fly.. not to heavy but not to light either.. been trying do homework before pulling the trigger on a clutch setup..
This is Chris, though, Steve is about 20 feet away from me.

Our SC is a great setup, easy to drive and modulate, lasts longer due to the improved SAC pressure plate (gone are the days of hanging SAC mechanisms), and is warrantied for a full year. We can rebuild them and upgrade/downgrade as well.

Actually... I would verify that recommendation as the RST is an organic setup and they do not recommend spraying it. The RXT you can.

The LT1-S is a direct/better (in my opinion of course) competitor to the RST. The LT1-SC is a direct/better (again, in my opinion) competitor to the RXT.

That said, the R version holds more than all of those and the new triple we have is just stupid.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
This is Chris, though, Steve is about 20 feet away from me.

Our SC is a great setup, easy to drive and modulate, lasts longer due to the improved SAC pressure plate (gone are the days of hanging SAC mechanisms), and is warrantied for a full year. We can rebuild them and upgrade/downgrade as well.

Actually... I would verify that recommendation as the RST is an organic setup and they do not recommend spraying it. The RXT you can.

The LT1-S is a direct/better (in my opinion of course) competitor to the RST. The LT1-SC is a direct/better (again, in my opinion) competitor to the RXT.

That said, the R version holds more than all of those and the new triple we have is just stupid.

That's why me and Steve decided the lt1-sc.. with 24 lb billet fly.. what do u think?
Old 03-05-2014, 06:22 PM
FormerVendor

That's why me and Steve decided the lt1-sc.. with 24 lb billet fly.. what do u think?
That is my recommendation as well
Old 03-07-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like a plan...
Old 03-09-2014, 02:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

ACT offer various twin places, with organic or puck style.

Their higher rated units can have a fairly heavy cover though. But nothing that terrible.

I have the middle ground T2GS01 twin plate organic. Drives super smooth.

Only real con against a multiplate is more rotating mass on the input shaft during shifts, which potentially offers a slower shift.

Reality doesnt really seem to make any difference though
Old 03-10-2014, 01:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

R u using the rxt or the lt1-sc series??
I run the rxt, I prefer McLeod.

Quick Reply: pros and cons of twin clutches