Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Does a SPEC 3 stage 3 clutch require special slave cylinder or T/o bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 03:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does a SPEC 3 stage 3 clutch require special slave cylinder or T/o bearing?

I bought a used SPEC 3 stage 3 clutch a while ago, (6 puck ceramic w/ springs) it was lower miles and did not come with a slave cylinder or throw out bearing. I have never really driven my car because its never really completed enough to do more than up and down the street. Anyways, the trans will grind sometimes going into gears on simple 2-3k RPM shifts as if the clutch isnt fully disengaging as quick as it should. If i hesitate a split second after pressing the clutch, it goes into w/e gear as it should. Soo this issue has always been on my mind and just recently i was looking at clutches for sale and read that the SPEC 3 clutches require a special tapered throw out bearing or something. Does this make any sense? I have a OEM slave cylinder with a stock throwout bearing ran via -4 line to a US brake 7/8th's master cylinder. Only other thing i can think of is maybe the throw of my clutch pedal is over extending the master cylinder? I havnt installed a clutch pedal stop yet, but once it gets past a certain point towards the end of the range of movement it feels like its pushing a second stage of pressure. I dont know how to explain it. If anyone can shed some light on this, i would appreciate it. Im at a point where i can yank the engine/trans out rather quickly, soo this is the time to change something if needed.

Quick Reply: Does a SPEC 3 stage 3 clutch require special slave cylinder or T/o bearing?