Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2nd gear prob. and BEEFED up Tranny?????!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 01:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2nd gear prob. and BEEFED up Tranny?????!!!!

Alright, I have a 1999 Z28 w/ a M6 and I toasted the 1999 tranny about 2 months ago or so but that was kinda the previous owners fault. So I installed a 2001 tranny from a Trans am w/ only 10,000 miles on it. It worked great for about a month, but today, I was messing around and went from 1st to 2nd and WHAM, same noise I heard when the old tranny went. Now I only put 900 miles on this tranny so far and the first 500 miles, I broke in a new clutch. Well I can still engage 2nd gear, but it wants to JUMP out when I start to realease the clutch, but If I hold it back it will grind a lil bit and try and kick out, and it will go in and stay in on its own. When I swapped in the new tranny I bought a new slave and master, did the drill mod and everything worked great. But now this! My 1999 tranny was the same way in 2nd and eventually totaly went out and 3rd and 4th were gone before that, so I don't want to wait around for 2nd to go out again.
Now I was wondering if there was an easy fix for this and what the actual problem is and what people can I call to see about getting some beefier internals for a t-56. I still have the old 1999 tranny so while I drive the car I was going to rebuild that tranny w/ some aftermarket internals. Thanks
Old 05-16-2004, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the EXACT same trouble. happened exactly the same way too...
i had just put in a new clutch. did the drill mod.
just got done breaking in clutch ... took it to the track and WHAM... no second gear...
now it will go into second on upshifts if you hold it there but will not go into 2nd on downshifts
it grinds all the time....
lemme know what you find out... i will do the same for ya
Old 05-17-2004, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHere are You two Located
I rebuild them in the Austin Texas area.
From what yall are describing , they are in need of a rebuild
Old 05-17-2004, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm located in Central Wisconsin so you are kinda far away Bugsquawsher. Also, I went to D&D Performance web site and I think I'm going to order a master rebuild kit and there steel 3-4 shift fork. Do they make a steel 1-2 shift fork, or something stronger then stock? I have no problems yet w/ 3-4 YET. I think it's just is a bent shifter fork, so an entire rebuild won't be necessary, but I going to keep the one in there alone and rebuild the orginal tranny from the car. And when I figure that out, I'm going to fix my "good" tranny. Thanks
Old 05-18-2004, 07:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am in virginia...
how much is shipping and what do ya charge?
Old 05-19-2004, 07:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet its close to 200 bucks round trip from you to me.
I only charge 75 bucks for the rebuild + Parts of Course.