Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Prepare 5.3 for t56 magnum

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prepare 5.3 for t56 magnum

I have a 5.3 lm7 that I will use with my t56 magnum. But I wonder what do I need to do with the engine except change flex plate to a flywheel and clutch?
Old 05-22-2014, 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 162 Likes on 107 Posts

I had to cut about 1/8" off of the tip from the input shaft on mine (alum 5.3) as it was bottoming out in the back of the crankshaft. I couldn't get the BH to bolt up properly.... chased it for hours. Put some putty on the tip and sure enuf it as getting a squished front. Finally figured it out.
Research said that some LS truck cranks weren't machined in the back as deep as car cranks which is needed to clear a T56 input shaft.

Take an air cut off wheel and remove the least amount needed. Then bevel the end with a grinder to get the angle back on the end to ease it going into the pilot bearing area. I had a buddy turn the output shaft at a steady speed while I put the grinding wheel on the tip at a hand held "fixed" angle.

You may also need to clearance the casting a small amount where the slave bolts up to. Fbody pilot bearing is needed.

This was for a 5.3 turbo/T56 Magnum setup in a '69 Chevelle project I'm doing.

Quick Reply: Prepare 5.3 for t56 magnum