Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Best clutch for my car. 350hp now, 500hp future

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 10:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best clutch for my car. 350hp now, 500hp future

I have a mostly stock LS1 Trans am (lid, 4.10s, muffler) and plan on doing the usual bolt ons like full exhaust, tune etc.

BUT I plan on eventually putting in an iron block 6.0 LQ4/9 and stroking it to 408/427 and making around 500 rwhp for 99% street driving with very few track visits, once the ls1 blows. It's only at 92k, so this will probably be in 4+ years.

Tranny syncros are worn, doing a transmission stage 2 rebuild this summer to get it perfect. May as well do the not perfect, not bad clutch, its original with near 100k.

I was gonna do a monster stage 2 clutch, but my buddy with the shop we tinker in seems to think I should put a better than OEM clutch, but not waste $$ on a bulletproof clutch just yet, since I'm at least several years away from over 400rwhp.

What clutch kit do you guys suggest? Is it a waste to get a monster stage 2 and just use it for my bolt on DD until I build the big motor? Or should I get something along the lines of one that can just take 400ish hp and do the stage 2 when I build the stroker?

I can afford a stage 2 $650 clutch, I just don't want to wear out a pricey (to me) clutch before I really need it.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:03 PM
Teching In

How many miles do you drive a year? How aggressive are you? You could go Monster level 1 but it's only saving you $50. If you want a good clutch IMO I would stick with Monster. But if you are more interested in saving money OEM.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Launching!

I will be putting around 10k mi on it a year, 85% of the time just cruising, 10% spirited driving, 5% redlining. I'm almost always a tame driver.

Anyone know how long/how much a Monster stage 2 can take? If it can do that many miles of my driving just fine, I may as well just do it now.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been running the LS7 clutch on my set-up for YEARS (Turbo kit went on in 2007)! Never had an issue and has been to the track a few times (on street tires) with Zero issues. Great driveability and no slippage problems.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Level 2 drives just as smooth as the 1 and should last ~50k miles, of course that is driver dependent being a wear item and if you were to drive only on the highway it'd last forever. Don't hesitate if you have any questions or would like a quote, Chris 817-750-2000
Old 05-17-2014, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I would also recommend the Monster level 2...very smooth clutch, IMO has a way better feel than stock (even just cruising around), one of the best mods I did...with the 18LB steel flywheel, it's lighter than stock and the LS7, so it will free up a few RWHP...be patient and give it a proper break-in, after that it takes whatever you can throw at it on the street, and it doesn't seem to mind the occasional track visit either...I would also suggest throwing in a Tick adj master cyl, speed bleeder and new GM slave...you can get all this as a package from Tick performance
Old 05-17-2014, 10:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by manzo81maro
I would also recommend the Monster level 2...very smooth clutch, IMO has a way better feel than stock (even just cruising around), one of the best mods I did...with the 18LB steel flywheel, it's lighter than stock and the LS7, so it will free up a few RWHP...be patient and give it a proper break-in, after that it takes whatever you can throw at it on the street, and it doesn't seem to mind the occasional track visit either...I would also suggest throwing in a Tick adj master cyl, speed bleeder and new GM slave...you can get all this as a package from Tick performance
Nice summarization, appreciate it and couldn't have said it better...thanks again for choosing a Monster!
Old 05-22-2014, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the LS7 clutch and love it. Get a new flywheel at the same time IMO.

Quick Reply: Best clutch for my car. 350hp now, 500hp future