Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

random issues...sticking in gear, grinding

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default random issues...sticking in gear, grinding

So about a year or so ago i did a h/c swap on my car and at the time swapped my stock clutch for a mcleod rst. I reused the stock flywheel and at first reused the stock master. I had issues with the trans engaging so i had to swap in a tick master. Well soon after i started having random issues where sometimes coming to a stop the car would die which i thought of course was an issue with the tune or something. Soon after i started having an issue where occasionally when coming to a stop the car would stick in gear but would come out if i give it a nice little tug, i don't have to pull it real hard just with a little more force then normal. Like i said it does it ocassionally and it doesn't matter which gear as it has happened in 1st thru 4th. Well now just yesterday and this morning i got a grind in 1st as if im trying to put it in gear with no clutch, it only happened once on each day and yesterday after it happened i went out and adjusted my tick master to see if that would help but this morning i got the grind. The car shifts fine otherwise. Any ideas?
Old 10-14-2014, 02:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would give one of our guys a shout and one of them should be able to help diagnose the issue. Just give us a shout at support@tickperformance.com or just give us a call at 336.719.0599. We will be more than happy to figure out what's going on no matter what it takes
Old 10-14-2014, 02:56 PM
FormerVendor

The clutch isn't disengaging, this can be caused by numerous things.

I'd check for the obvious which is leaks and bleeding, once you've ruled out that then you can adjust the master. If that doesn't help there may be other issues which can involve pulling the trans.

Keep us posted on what you find.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the response guys... I figured it may not be disengaging all the way but it's odd cuz it only does these things occasionally, i may bleed it some more and maybe adjust the master more
Old 10-22-2014, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

Just a lil update...i haven't gotten a chance to look at it more and it was working perfectly fine til yesterday. It now grinds almost anytime i have tried to put it in 1st gear.If i do put it in gear and it grinded then as long as i don't let off the clutch i can take it out of first and put it back in first as many times as i want and it won't grind. But as soon as i release the clutch then try to put it back in it will grind. Hopefully i will be able to look at it this weekend
Old 04-30-2015, 08:33 AM
12 Second Club

update installed a monster lt1-s clutch and the car no longer gets stuck in any gear however it still grinds in first sometimes. For the most part if i put it in first gear slowly it won't grind. And just as before if i put it in first and leave the clutch pedal depressed i can take it out of first and put it back in first quickly without it grinding but if i take it out of first and let off the clutch then push the clutch back in and put it in first it will grind most of the time unless i put it in gear slowly.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:42 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
update installed a monster lt1-s clutch and the car no longer gets stuck in any gear however it still grinds in first sometimes. For the most part if i put it in first gear slowly it won't grind. And just as before if i put it in first and leave the clutch pedal depressed i can take it out of first and put it back in first quickly without it grinding but if i take it out of first and let off the clutch then push the clutch back in and put it in first it will grind most of the time unless i put it in gear slowly.
Is it just first gear or all gears?
Old 04-30-2015, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Is it just first gear or all gears?
just first gear it shifts perfectly fine into any other gear
Old 04-30-2015, 10:30 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
just first gear it shifts perfectly fine into any other gear
If that's the case it's the synchro... the clutch won't select which gear grinds, it would grind in all gears if it were the clutch, if it's just first then it's the synchro.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
If that's the case it's the synchro... the clutch won't select which gear grinds, it would grind in all gears if it were the clutch, if it's just first then it's the synchro.
Dang i was afraid it was the trans oh well i guess it will be getting fixed once i finally get stationed somewhere other then Hawaii. Getting a built trans sent out here would be too much

Quick Reply: random issues...sticking in gear, grinding