Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What Fluid Do Put In You T-56?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Fry_
Tick Performance says to use any brand of non-synthetic DEX 3 ATF. I asked 2 different people Joey and a customer service rep. when I had my transmission rebuilt by them and was told they use parts store brand DEX 3 in their shop, and the paper work that came with the transmission even specifically said never use Mobil 1 or any other synthetic atf.
Jason at texas drivetrain did my T56. He said the same thing. Use any non synthetic ATF

Originally Posted by blue99fbody
amsoil atf
^^^id run what this guy does.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Filling with Redline MTL here first fluid change hope it likes it.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Heater
I've used Redline before in a different Tremec transmission and it worked great.

Seems like a lot of people like the Synchromesh, so I'm down to it or the Redline. I don't expect to get much of the whine out, but any would be better than none.
Another vote for D4.

The only reason I chose it over the Amsoil ATF is because I am trusting that Dave (head tech/tribologist at Red Line) is speaking the truth when he claims that it actually meets the GL-4 manual trans specs, as far as wear, resistance to shear, and gear/bearing protection goes, just like it says on the bottle.

Many people who know MUCH MUCH more about lubes/gear oils/ATFs/etc. than ANY of the Tremec rebuilders (OR even TREMEC themselves) claim that an ATF can NEVER EVER offer the same level of protection against wear, or shear resistance that a manual trans fluid can, so IF I am going to use one, it is going to be the 'stoutest' one out there!

Besides myself, MANY have had this stuff in their, un-rebuilt, not upgraded to carbon blockers, 'paper' blocker ring T56es right from the first change, for MANY, MANY years, and hundreds of thousands of miles with NO problems whatsoever.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Cantu
Filling with Redline MTL here first fluid change hope it likes it.
This stuff is GREAT, but it is a little too thick (as is the Amsoil MTF, another great fluid) for us yankees in the northern climes, especially in the winter.

You should be just fine with it in the Lone Star State, especially southern Tejas in the summer, when it is as hot as the

Quick Reply: What Fluid Do Put In You T-56?