Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch not fully disengaging problem help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch not fully disengaging problem help!!!

I bought my car a couple of months ago with about 1,500 miles on a new Monster stage 2 clutch, new GM slave cyl, and GM master cyl. the previous owner also installed a tick speedbleeder. the problem im having is first and reverse are hard to get into especially reverse. I did the in gear rev test and it DID move forward. Even when i put the car in gear it moves it forward a little. I have read a lot of posts about it possibly being a master cylinder problem, but was wondering if that is actually the problem. My guess is it's the master cylinder, but i dont want to spend $325 on something that didnt need to be replaced, so i need some help diagnosing it. thank you for your time
Old 11-06-2014, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

LS1Tech 10 Year

There is a possibility that the slave is not properly shimmed. I would check that first before throwing money at it.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

and bleed the hydraulics

your rev and car moves forward test confirms you don't have disengagement

the new GM & Slave "should" be good. If the slave is shimmed right, it could just nneed to have a good bleed.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ******
and bleed the hydraulics

your rev and car moves forward test confirms you don't have disengagement

the new GM & Slave "should" be good. If the slave is shimmed right, it could just nneed to have a good bleed.
I bled the clutch about 5 times tonight, but haven't got to test it yet, too much homework. Is it safe to drive my car like this with the clutch engaging a very small amount?
Old 11-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Teching In

I just tried driving it this morning, and it wouldn't let me put the car into any gear. I didn't have a full reservoir either, and I'm almost positive that I filled it, I'll go buy some more dot 3, but I have no idea if it will work
Old 11-07-2014, 02:11 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

if you are losing fluid..you have a hydraulic issue. look carefully around the MC for any leaks...if slave you need to replace that...brake fluid on clutch will kill it
Old 11-07-2014, 04:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt_NaSSty
I bled the clutch about 5 times tonight, but haven't got to test it yet, too much homework. Is it safe to drive my car like this with the clutch engaging a very small amount?
If the clutch is not fully disengaging do not drive it. When the clutch is not fully disengaged, its constantly dragging and not only shearing the clutch material off but it will also put a lot of heat into that unit, both of which will kill that clutch very quickly.

Originally Posted by Burt_NaSSty
I just tried driving it this morning, and it wouldn't let me put the car into any gear. I didn't have a full reservoir either, and I'm almost positive that I filled it, I'll go buy some more dot 3, but I have no idea if it will work
Triple check your bleeding and look for leaks. Give us a call and we can help walk you through anything you need.

if you are losing fluid..you have a hydraulic issue. look carefully around the MC for any leaks...if slave you need to replace that...brake fluid on clutch will kill it
Old 11-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
If the clutch is not fully disengaging do not drive it. When the clutch is not fully disengaged, its constantly dragging and not only shearing the clutch material off but it will also put a lot of heat into that unit, both of which will kill that clutch very quickly.

Triple check your bleeding and look for leaks. Give us a call and we can help walk you through anything you need.

There's not a leak, I guess it just wasn't filled all the way. I bled it through about 10 times total. The clutch feels a little but smoother, but it still doesn't actually disengage with my foot all the way to the ground on the ground. I still am really hoping I don't have to drop the tranny, because I don't have a tranny jack. I can even feel my car move forward right when I try to put it in gear.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:51 AM
Teching In

Im guessing that my slave cylinder has to be shimmed... just to make sure that i understand, the shims will basically allow be engage the clutch earlier and be able to be fully disengaged when the clutch pedal is to the floor?
Old 11-08-2014, 11:41 AM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

Burt

email or call Steve at SNL about what/if the Monster clutch can require shims. He is extremely qualified to comment on the Monster product.

Some also use a MC that is adjustable to allow for more stroke. Tick & Mcleod offer them.

I don't have a LS platform but do understand "shims" are used behind slave/TO in some applications to get the stay within specific measurements so the slave has enough travel to release the clutch

since you bought the car with the Monster installed already, possible the PO did not follow correct install procedure in measuring stack height of clutch.

If car shifted fine before but this problem occurred later I would look closer at hydraulics though
Old 11-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Unhappy

Burt

email or call Steve at SNL about what/if the Monster clutch can require shims. He is extremely qualified to comment on the Monster product.

Some also use a MC that is adjustable to allow for more stroke. Tick & Mcleod offer them.

I don't have a LS platform but do understand "shims" are used behind slave/TO in some applications to get the stay within specific measurements so the slave has enough travel to release the clutch

since you bought the car with the Monster installed already, possible the PO did not follow correct install procedure in measuring stack height of clutch.

If car shifted fine before but this problem occurred later I would look closer at hydraulics though
I believe the hydraulics are fine, its always had the hard shift in to gear problem, but i thought it was just something natural... I'll drop the trans on my thanksgiving break when i dont have school

the car drives fine right now, im just going to keep it out of gear as much as possible when stopped.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

I would consider buying the Tick MC. I just put a monster stage II clutch, pp and flywheel in my 4th gen a couple of weeks ago. With a new slave that I did not shim (my bad) and remote tick bleeder. I also bought a new OEM MC. The car had engagement issues from the get go, engaged very close to the floor and could also be difficult to get into 1st and reverse and yes it was properly bench bled before install, several times after with the remote bleeder as well.

I had also been thru this with my C5Z, was using a monster stage II setup on that car as well. The stock style OEM MC inadequacies are just highlighted by some aftermarket clutch setups. I am sure the proper shim would have helped some in both cases, but the stock style MC is giant POS with no adjust-ability. I put a tick mc in my C5Z 2 years ago and just finished putting one in my 99 this afternoon. My issues were resolved then and today.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
I would consider buying the Tick MC. I just put a monster stage II clutch, pp and flywheel in my 4th gen a couple of weeks ago. With a new slave that I did not shim (my bad) and remote tick bleeder. I also bought a new OEM MC. The car had engagement issues from the get go, engaged very close to the floor and could also be difficult to get into 1st and reverse and yes it was properly bench bled before install, several times after with the remote bleeder as well.

I had also been thru this with my C5Z, was using a monster stage II setup on that car as well. The stock style OEM MC inadequacies are just highlighted by some aftermarket clutch setups. I am sure the proper shim would have helped some in both cases, but the stock style MC is giant POS with no adjust-ability. I put a tick mc in my C5Z 2 years ago and just finished putting one in my 99 this afternoon. My issues were resolved then and today.
That sounds better than dropping the tranny, but what part of the adjustable mc is actually adjustable? Will it let the clutch disengage when the pedal is all the way in?
Old 11-09-2014, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

a "adjustable" MC has a threaded rod (piston) you can adjust longer/shorter than stock. Making it longer will increase stroke and extend the slave/TO bearing further which will allow full disengagement

BUT!!!!!!

if the slave needs shiming and is not and you adjust a rod on a adjustable MC far enough you can now over extend the slave and it will puke.

You likely need to do both shim and adjustable MC. First shim to with the specs outlined in the Monster clutch kit and then when the Tick adjustable MC is set at stock length and there still is a disengagement issue...you adjust MC 1/4-1/2 turn at a time until you get full disengagement.

with the rear end jacked up, motor on, car in gear, clutch all the way depressed the wheels should not turn. adjust MC until they don't turn with clutch fully depressed.

I have the McLeod adjustable MC FWIW. It is a Wilwood MC that McLeod makes adapters for vehicle specific applications. Nice unit
Old 11-09-2014, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

a "adjustable" MC has a threaded rod (piston) you can adjust longer/shorter than stock. Making it longer will increase stroke and extend the slave/TO bearing further which will allow full disengagement

BUT!!!!!!

if the slave needs shiming and is not and you adjust a rod on a adjustable MC far enough you can now over extend the slave and it will puke.

You likely need to do both shim and adjustable MC. First shim to with the specs outlined in the Monster clutch kit and then when the Tick adjustable MC is set at stock length and there still is a disengagement issue...you adjust MC 1/4-1/2 turn at a time until you get full disengagement.

with the rear end jacked up, motor on, car in gear, clutch all the way depressed the wheels should not turn. adjust MC until they don't turn with clutch fully depressed.

I have the McLeod adjustable MC FWIW. It is a Wilwood MC that McLeod makes adapters for vehicle specific applications. Nice unit
Yep...If anything my application 'may' need the thinnest shim. However I did not have to adjust the Tick much at all with regard to threaded rod length. Sure beats the hell out of pulling the trans by yourself. My buddies always seem to be scarce when there is work to be done
Old 11-20-2014, 01:35 AM
Teching In

So I dropped the tranny, and check all the measurements. They seem to be near perfect, so I guess it was the hydraulics after all. I went ahead and reassembled everything, and ordered a tick master cylinder, I have the tick speed bleeder, and bled it through at Least 25 times, but it's still hard as hell to get into any gear. Hopefully the new MC will do the trick... Can't wait and thanks for all the help
Old 11-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Launching!

At this point your synchros in your trans may be worn from having to work against the clutch, dont count that out.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Launching!

Hey did you by any chance check out the pilot bearing in the crankshaft while you had the trans out?
Old 11-20-2014, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

did you buy a tick master yet?
Old 11-21-2014, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Youngblood16
At this point your synchros in your trans may be worn from having to work against the clutch, dont count that out.
Double clutching should pretty much take the synchros out of the picture. If he is still having problems after the tick, would try that.

Quick Reply: Clutch not fully disengaging problem help!!!