Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Best Short-Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have a MGW. It helped my shifts but I still need the Tick master to complete the package.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LetsRide
I too have a MGW. It helped my shifts but I still need the Tick master to complete the package.
Monster stage 3 with the Tick master and speed bleeder with my MGW shifter and the MGW composite race **** is about as good as it gets for these cars. My car is a blast to drive again.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Monster stage 3 with the Tick master and speed bleeder with my MGW shifter and the MGW composite race **** is about as good as it gets for these cars. My car is a blast to drive again.
I'm doing almost exactly that, monster stage 2 though. I'm so excited to see how it feels.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blackandgold

I'm doing almost exactly that, monster stage 2 though. I'm so excited to see how it feels.
You won't be disapointed.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're just driving on the street it doesn't really matter. ....if you're drag racing you HAVE to go with a Pro 5.0 shifter. ....nuff said....everyone running 9's or better is using them
Old 01-11-2015, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm sure there are many 9 second guys using the MGW too.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
If you're just driving on the street it doesn't really matter. ....if you're drag racing you HAVE to go with a Pro 5.0 shifter. ....nuff said....everyone running 9's or better is using them
So you're saying that if someone running 9s with a pro 5.0 switched to an MGW they all of the sudden wouldn't run 9s anymore.... You are also implying that someone who chooses an MGW is incapable of running 9s even if the rest of their car is properly equipped and powerful enough to do so and that shifter choice really has that big of an impact on ET... And apparently you personally know every single person that runs 9s in a 6 speed f-body to say that they all use a pro 5.0. Great logic.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

OP, did you receive it yet? They ship fast, I do know that.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^That does sound a little odd especially because the consensus seems to be that MGW is sort of the top dog. I still only have experience with the stock shifter at this point which compared to my stock s2000 is like rowing a boat (with really long oars). As a whole the design of these shifters seems pretty straightforward, are there any major differences between the 5.0 and the MGW?
Old 01-14-2015, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blackandgold
^^That does sound a little odd especially because the consensus seems to be that MGW is sort of the top dog. I still only have experience with the stock shifter at this point which compared to my stock s2000 is like rowing a boat (with really long oars). As a whole the design of these shifters seems pretty straightforward, are there any major differences between the 5.0 and the MGW?
I only have experience going from stock Hurst to the MGW. It really is a night and day difference. It takes a little getting used to because the throws are so short, and the gears are so close to each other. The car was fun to drive before the MGW install, but it's way more fun to drive now. I have yet to miss 3rd gear with the new MGW, and that was the major reason for upgrading.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I only have experience going from stock Hurst to the MGW. It really is a night and day difference. It takes a little getting used to because the throws are so short, and the gears are so close to each other. The car was fun to drive before the MGW install, but it's way more fun to drive now. I have yet to miss 3rd gear with the new MGW, and that was the major reason for upgrading.
I can't say I've missed 3rd yet, but I'm babying my transmission until the rest of the rebuild parts get here and it's done. That's also what I'm waiting for to install my MGW it sure does look pretty though
Old 01-14-2015, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

At the HP/TQ level my car is at, when shifting around 6700 rpm's, 3rd is a little tricky to hit with the stock shifter.

If you get the MGW shifter, get the composite race ****. I have it, and it's bad ***. Looks great and feels great. Here is the link to the correct ****.

http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_race_knob.shtml
Old 01-14-2015, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

At the HP/TQ level my car is at, when shifting around 6700 rpm's, 3rd is a little tricky to hit with the stock shifter.

If you get the MGW shifter, get the composite race ****. I have it, and it's bad ***. Looks great and feels great. Here is the link to the correct ****.

http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_race_knob.shtml
I actually went with a black speed dawg ****, but I'm sure I'll go through like 10 different ***** before I find one I like. I'm probably going to order a weighted **** here too so I have one on hand to try.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

One thing about the MGW, and this could be true for all aftermarket shifters, but it is much louder and notchier than the stock Hurst.

I was also reading that the new design of the stick allows you to cut the stick from the bottom if you want it shorter, but it also says that the stick should not be placed any lower than the grove that is on the stick. If you place the stick too far into the shifter, it will hit. I'm pretty sure I'm good, but if I did put the stick in past the grove, how noticible would the stick hitting the shifter be?
Old 01-14-2015, 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ If you lower the stick below the groove it will protrude below the gold mount block too far and it will contact the shifter body in 1st or 2nd. I had one with the new design stick.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by guppymech
^^^ If you lower the stick below the groove it will protrude below the gold mount block too far and it will contact the shifter body in 1st or 2nd. I had one with the new design stick.
So in other words, it would be very noticible. If it were too low, would that make it louder.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have felt the pro 5.0 and mgw side by side before I bought one, same with my buddy who has a m6. Look what I have in my sig and thats what was better. The 5.0 felt notchy and the throws were fairly similar. Not to mention the curved stick on the 5.0 wasnt really that good for me. I dont see how anyone could say one is better on a track though.

And ya if the stick is too low you will def feel it. I tried it just to see. Now I left the stick where the maring was from mgw to mount it and it all seems well
Old 01-15-2015, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by redbird555
I have felt the pro 5.0 and mgw side by side before I bought one, same with my buddy who has a m6. Look what I have in my sig and thats what was better. The 5.0 felt notchy and the throws were fairly similar. Not to mention the curved stick on the 5.0 wasnt really that good for me. I dont see how anyone could say one is better on a track though.

And ya if the stick is too low you will def feel it. I tried it just to see. Now I left the stick where the maring was from mgw to mount it and it all seems well
You said you tried it just to see, can you expand on what it was like when it's down too far?
Old 01-15-2015, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My car has a pro 5.0 in it. Works great and i like the feel of it. Wouldn't mind trying out a MGW but I feel no need to change it out because i'm fine with what i've got
Old 01-15-2015, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sold my Pro 5.0 after 7 good years. Just ready to try something else. Once winter ends Ill have some input on the MGW myself.

5.0 never ever let me down either, just ready to try out something new, and if the MGW doesn't work out, I would buy another 5.0

Quick Reply: Best Short-Shifter