Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Best Short-Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 09:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
You said you tried it just to see, can you expand on what it was like when it's down too far?
Its more of a feel thing lol. When its down to far you'll feel the shifts need more effort which is to be expected with a shorter stick. However if down to far it will feel real hard and almost like it wants to bind. Try it in the stock location then slowly adjust down to see where the bad point is. If you want it real low you can always cut it or order a short stick.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
Its more of a feel thing lol. When its down to far you'll feel the shifts need more effort which is to be expected with a shorter stick. However if down to far it will feel real hard and almost like it wants to bind. Try it in the stock location then slowly adjust down to see where the bad point is. If you want it real low you can always cut it or order a short stick.
Thanks. It is harder to get into gears than the old stock Hurst (just a notchier feeling/sound), but I think that's to be expected with any aftermarket short throw shifter. I can get it into all gears though, so I doubt I put the stick down to low, but I guess it can't hurt to check it out this weekend.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the Pro 5.0 for probably 8-9yrs and it was a little noisy otherwise it was a lot better than the stock gm shifter, but the Hurst Billet Plus that replaced it is a little bit smoother an noticeably quieter and rebuildable unlike the Pro 5.0 I had. As far as the MGW I've been hearing good things about it for years, but I prefer having adjustable shift stop like the Hurst and Pro 5.0 has. Furthermore I highly recommend getting a TICK adj. clutch master cylinder if you're running a stock or stock replacement master cylinder it eliminate some of the shifting issues that some blame on the crappy stock shifter.. and a weighted shift ****(TWM) will also improve the shifting smoothness and ease. That's IF you can get past the price!

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 01-21-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I had the Pro 5.0 for probably 8-9yrs and it was a little noisy otherwise it was a lot better than the stock gm shifter, but the Hurst Billet Plus that replaced it is a little bit smoother an noticeably quieter and rebuildable unlike the Pro 5.0 I had. As far as the MGW I've been hearing good things about it for years, but I prefer having adjustable shift stop like the Hurst and Pro 5.0 has. Furthermore I highly recommend getting a TICK adj. clutch master cylinder if you're running a stock or stock replacement master cylinder it eliminate some of the shifting issues that some blame on the crappy stock shifter.. and a weighted shift ****(TWM) will also improve the shifting smoothness and ease. That IF you can get past the price!
Pressure plate just failed on my Camaro so it's getting the full clutch build. Monster Stage 2 (incl. Flywheel), Tick master, new slave cylinder, bearings, etc. That and a MGW. Probably will install it next month.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mad-hatter
Pressure plate just failed on my Camaro so it's getting the full clutch build. Monster Stage 2 (incl. Flywheel), Tick master, new slave cylinder, bearings, etc. That and a MGW. Probably will install it next month.
I've said it a many times, but not afraid to say it again; installing a Monster stage 3 clutch kit with 28 lb flywheel, Tick master, Tick speed bleeder, brand new slave, and MGW shifter was probably the best thing I've ever done to the car. You're going to love it.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

I've said it a many times, but not afraid to say it again; installing a Monster stage 3 clutch kit with 28 lb flywheel, Tick master, Tick speed bleeder, brand new slave, and MGW shifter was probably the best thing I've ever done to the car. You're going to love it.
I'm looking forward to it. Not so much the cost and time of install, but the fun to be had once it's in.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you get the Tick remote speed bleeder also? If not, I highly recommend you get it, it makes bleeding/flushing the fluid easy instead of a pain.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Did you get the Tick remote speed bleeder also? If not, I highly recommend you get it, it makes bleeding/flushing the fluid easy instead of a pain.
It will be when I order the kit.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by redbird555
I have felt the pro 5.0 and mgw side by side before I bought one, same with my buddy who has a m6. Look what I have in my sig and thats what was better. The 5.0 felt notchy and the throws were fairly similar.
The throws on the MGW are not even the least bit shorter than the Pro 5.0??

Is it actually any smoother than the 'notchiness' of the Pro 5.0 (which I have now, and have had for the last 14 years).

What about noise/rattling/play, is the MGW tighter/quieter than the Pro 5.0?
(Yes, I know that some of the 'play' in the T56es is in the internal main rail, especially as they wear. )

BTW; is Pro 5.0 even still in business?
They used to be headquartered in the next town over (Kenilworth, N.J.) from where I used to live, but are LONG gone from that location, with no forwarding address, or phone number given.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had a Pro 5.0, B&M, Hurst and now MGW. Without a doubt MGW. Not that the rest have bad quality but even looking at it is a thing of bueaty don't want to cover it up. You can tell they love doing what they do. Smooth into gears and precise. There customer service is excellent too.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Mgw and don't look back. Thank us later
Old 01-31-2015, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

OK, IF I don't go with that S1 sequential shifter, MGW it is!!
Old 01-31-2015, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Ordered my MGW yesterday along with the Monster Clutch kit from Tick Performance. Both should be here middle of next week. Hoping to have it on the road in a couple of weeks.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mad-hatter
Monster stage 3 is cheaper than the stage 2 on ws6store.com btw
Old 02-01-2015, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think the stage 3 was $50 more than the stage 2 when I got the complete setup from Tick. Some of the best money I've ever spent.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

I think the stage 3 was $50 more than the stage 2 when I got the complete setup from Tick. Some of the best money I've ever spent.
^Truths. The stage 2 will be quite good until I do my full build and go power adder.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

I ordered the MGW Friday, also found a McLeod street twin that needs a rebuild in the classifieds for 130 bucks, so that solves my clutch process as well. If it wasnt for the 12+ inches of snow we had in the last 18 hours I would be happy.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dckmn52
ive literally driven them all.

MGW ftw

Thats a bad *** setup!!
Old 02-13-2015, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

How would any of these shifters compare to say a short stick with factory hurst? (Mine is a hurst with UMI short stick).

Do the MGW or Pro 5.0 ease shifting? Do they give you more "snick snick" when shifting? Or do they simple tighten the throws, making it less likely to miss a fast shift?
Old 02-13-2015, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

The stock Hurst cannot commpare to the MGW. I have never missed a shift with the MGW. I cannot say that about the stock Hurst. The MGW is much tighter and eases into gear, even at 6800 rpm's. The throws are obviously much shorter too, which is great when you are racing.

Quick Reply: Best Short-Shifter