Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting Problems

I recently had my t56 overhauled but now that I have it put back in the truck there is a problem. I cant shift into second, third, or fifth while the truck is running. The gears arent grinding, it just wont go. If I turn the truck off I can shift through all the gears fine though. Any ideas on what the problem could be. Thanks!
Old 12-27-2014, 12:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

If you are talking about this happening while the truck isn't moving then....This usually happens because the pressure plate isn't pulling away from the clutch far enough so it keeps pressure on the trans. I would try bleeding the clutch and slave and see if that helps. Does it feel like it wants to move/jump when you put it in 1st gear?
Old 12-28-2014, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I recall correctly, if the tranny will do into gears while the car is off, then the issue could likely be a hydraulic issue. I accidentally had my hydraulic fluid totally drain from my clutch system, and I had to pump the clutch several times to build pressure in order to get the car in gear. Otherwise, I could not get the car in gear at all. If your hydraulics were opened, then that might be the issue. I got a motive power bleeder and a slave extension and removed the air easily. The mityvac method from the reservoir sucked and didn't work for my situation....

Quick Reply: Shifting Problems