Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I need diagnosis help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need diagnosis help ASAP

I drive a 2000 Z28 M6. About a year ago my slave cylinder went out. I had my shop replace the clutch assembly, slave cylinder, throwout bearing, & pilot bearing since they had to drop the transmission to replace the slave. I replaced everything with GM parts.

A few weeks ago, I had a knock sensor go bad on me. I pulled my LS6 intake manifold to replace the sensor and like an idiot, broke the oil pressure sending unit. I couldn't find an AC Delco OPSU in stock locally so I had to order it and wait until the next weekend to get my car back together.

After sitting for a week, upon startup my clutch started making a metallic squeaking / ringing noise when the clutch was depressed. It sounds a lot like a bearing making noise to me, but I'm not certain. I drove it for about a week waiting for something to go out. One morning after I had driven 30 miles to work, I couldn't get it go come out or go into gear with the car running. I trailered the car home, only to find out that after it had cooled down it would shift smoothly again.

I took it into my shop to have them diagnose the problem, but they aren't sure if it's something in the clutch assembly or transmission. I'm supposed to tell them Monday morning what I want them to do. Any help in diagnosis would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-25-2015, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe I've diagnosed the problem. After getting the car up to operating temperatures, it became difficult to get the car in or out of gear. I jacked the back of my car up and let the back tires hang. Then I started the car in first gear with the clutch depressed and the tires moved a little bit. So I assume my problem is that the clutch isn't disengaging completely.

I'm probably going to have my shop replace the slave cylinder & throwout bearing again. As well as check the clutch to make sure the pressure plate is okay. You would've thought GM parts would last longer, but at least I don't have to rebuild the transmission.

Quick Reply: I need diagnosis help ASAP