Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help. Clutch? Slave? or Tranny itself?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help. Clutch? Slave? or Tranny itself?

Ok, so heres my problem. I've got a 99 SS with the stock clutch and 91,000 miles. Ok, it only slips when I feather it at the track, otherwise it spins the tires in 1st and 2nd and I can even chirp third still. My last pass at the track I did a 3000 rpm launch while feathering the clutch, It slipped really bad and when I went into 2nd the clutch wouldn't come off of the floor until about 3/4 ways down the track. After that I've been trying to buy a clutch until last Thursday when things really started getting weird. It started having a hard time shifting between all gear and sixth was really tough. In down shifting especially 2nd and 1st it would make a grunting sound. It continued that all day Friday as well. I haven't driven until today, when it seemed fine, other than the clutch pedal, which still seems really soft.

Now the rest of the dilemma, I have an extended warranty that covers the tranny and the slave assembly, it does not cover the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel and I leave for Germany on 28 June and need to ship the car within the next couple of weeks. So heres the questions:

a. Do I spend the $84 to have carmax diagnose the thing only to find out its the clutch, pp, and fw then have it fixed somewhere else?

b. Do I just do the clutch and see how it works afterwards then if I have a problem bring it to carmax to use the warranty?

c. Do I buy the clutch and ship the car without actually replacing it and install it myself after I arrive in Germany using the base auto hobby shop (big concern is will I beable to drive it from the port to the base -- about 6 hours in a country where I don't speak the language)?

I'm really hoping someone can tell me what the real problem may be and help me choose which of the above options I should go with. I just worry, I don't have much time left on the thing, but with the move and all, I'm really trying to spend as little money as possible.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the length, but as you can tell I'm really need some help here.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like the clutch is on its last leg to honest with ya , now that its slipping more and not dissenging which is your hard shifts espically at 91k . when mine was starting to go if you shift fast and dont slip it you were ok but when we took it out to put in my spec it was clear that there wasnt much left, major heat spots , disc almost worn to riviets, ect

id say you get the new clutch setup with the 2001 hydrolics , drill the master and youll be golden
Old 06-03-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
sounds like the clutch is on its last leg to honest with ya , now that its slipping more and not dissenging which is your hard shifts espically at 91k . when mine was starting to go if you shift fast and dont slip it you were ok but when we took it out to put in my spec it was clear that there wasnt much left, major heat spots , disc almost worn to riviets, ect

id say you get the new clutch setup with the 2001 hydrolics , drill the master and youll be golden

Thanks, so you think I should do it before I go to Germany, right? I appreciate it, I was leaning clutch I was just worried I do the clutch and find out I need a tranny.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its up to you on that but i would so you dont have to worry when you get there and youll be ready to go
Old 06-03-2004, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
its up to you on that but i would so you dont have to worry when you get there and youll be ready to go

Thanks again, thats what I'll do then.

Quick Reply: Help. Clutch? Slave? or Tranny itself?