Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster stage 2 Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster stage 2 Question

Hello about 7 months ago I put a Monster stage 2 a new flywheel new slave and a tick master cylinder in a my 01 SS Camaro. I broke it in properly per the Monster instructions I received with the clutch. This year it seems that the clutch engages way at the top and is more like a light switch. Also when I let it out it like it jumps a little even after the clutch had made contact with the plate. I was thinking the jump could be my 10 bolt starting to make issues. Just wondering if anyone that has a stage 2 has the same feel of the peddle or maybe I need to adjust the master ?? Thanks to anyone that responds in advance.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:54 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Ever since I installed my tick MC, the clutch has always engaged right at the top with very little window.

Not sure about that little jump you are talking about. If you upgraded your cam recently, it could be cam surge?
Old 06-19-2015, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Make sure you have your pedal adjusted correctly. I have the same setup and yes it is more like a light switch. You get used to it though and will be smooth shifting again in no time.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I drove my car to TICK (GA - NC) and had them do a stage II rebuild of my T56 and install a Monster Stage II clutch along with their master cylinder. My clutch also engages near the very top of the pedal travel and is much "like a light switch" too. It's the way this particular combo is and it does take some getting use to, but it performs flawlessly!
Old 06-19-2015, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankyou very much I am going to adjustment of the peddle and go from there.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Man, now I'm really concerned about the upcoming install of my Monster Stage 2. Some people say it feels like stock & drives like stock, others say it engages like a "lightswitch". WTF???
Old 06-19-2015, 09:43 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

IMO, it does not drive like stock. If it did the pedal would stick to the floor half the time and randomly engage at different heights. And the gears would feel notchy.

If you are keeping the stock master and only changing the clutch it will be very close to stock. If you are also installing the tick master, it will change the behavior.

It drives better than stock. The shift point is very consistent. The engagement window is narrower. The bore is over 2x bigger, so you have less than half the normal pedal movement during engagement. Some people see this as "like a light switch" compared to the crappy stock master.

It took me a few days to adjust my driving, but now I love it. It always makes good high rpm shifts, and after 10k miles it still behaves like it did when I installed it.

So it is different than stock, but in a good way, once you get used to it
Old 06-19-2015, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ agree. the tick master is an awesome unit. it took me a few miles
to get used to how the monster lt1s / tick master combo functioned over
the ls7 clutch / factory set up, but once you get used to it, you'll NEVER
go back to a stock set up.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Well initially I'm using the stock master, so I like hearing that the Monster will behave close to stock. I wasn't aware the Tick master has a big bore and I can see how that would increase pedal effort. I also see how a bigger master will decrease the window of engagement and maybe that's where the "lightswitch" comment comes from. I was thinking it was due to the Kevlar disk but maybe not. I'll give it a try, my stock master has relatively low miles.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tick offers a 3/4 bore master as well.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the Tick Master for about 20k miles and now just had the Monster Stage 2 installed. So far I've gotten abour 50 miles on it but it feels great. No it's not like the stock set up, it's 100 times better. It is a high performance clutch set up. It is a stiffer pedel and the engaugement window is shorter. So far nothing but good vibes here. Can't wait to let'r'rip.

Quick Reply: Monster stage 2 Question