Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Wont Disengage.. opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clutch Wont Disengage.. opinions?

So I'm driving my 02 SS home today. Car has 84k miles, stock t56, stock clutch (i think) stock everything transmission wise except a tick MC that has been in there for well over a year. Was on the highway, shifted from 3rd to 4th, pedal felt completely different and won't not engage 4th.

I got it to the side of the road to find the clutch is engaged. I can put it in a gear, clutch pedal pushed down and it won't start but in neutral it starts right up.

I looked into this issue, alot of people say Master Cylinder needs to be bleed, but I've been running it for a year plus without an issue so i don't think its that. Clutch disc? Slave Cylinder? Pilot Bearing?
Old 07-22-2015, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

If you had pedal pressure and now you don't, bleeding is not going to cure this. The only way you have hydraulic pressure and then lose it, is either a leak or a bad master cylinder. The master cylinder is the easiest to replace.

Can you clarify? You can't shift at all currently, but could before?
Old 07-23-2015, 07:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
If you had pedal pressure and now you don't, bleeding is not going to cure this. The only way you have hydraulic pressure and then lose it, is either a leak or a bad master cylinder. The master cylinder is the easiest to replace.

Can you clarify? You can't shift at all currently, but could before?
Sorry ill clear it up. My car has been fine since i put the MC in a year ago. Today was coming home from work. Shifted from 3rd to 4th, felt/heard a slight pop, then the car would not engage any gear at all. coasted it to the side of the road. I can put it in a gear with the engine off, but if you try to start it you can tell its still engaged.

The pedal has slight pressure to it, feels very spongy. Nothing like it used to. I had to have the car towed home.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:57 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by 73CamaroLT
Sorry ill clear it up. My car has been fine since i put the MC in a year ago. Today was coming home from work. Shifted from 3rd to 4th, felt/heard a slight pop, then the car would not engage any gear at all. coasted it to the side of the road. I can put it in a gear with the engine off, but if you try to start it you can tell its still engaged.

The pedal has slight pressure to it, feels very spongy. Nothing like it used to. I had to have the car towed home.
Sounds like you either blew a seal in the master or slave. If it was the slave, it usually leaks. To test the master, unplug it at the disconnect, and it should be like granite. if you can move the pedal with the quick connect removed, it's the master.

There was a thread here not that long ago where someone described something similar, and a finger had broken on the pressure plate, but I wouldn't worry about that until the master and slave check out.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Getting ready to check the master now.. if that passes probably gonna order a clutch kit and replace everything since i will be pulling the trans anyways
Old 07-23-2015, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Checked the master hard as a rock. Has about 1cm of play then completely stiff
Old 07-23-2015, 01:23 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

then, it's something underneath
Old 07-27-2015, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Update, clutch took a ****. 85k miles stock clutch it was bound to happen. Mantic ER-2 is going in as we speak
Old 10-24-2015, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well don't leave us hanging, how'd the Mantic clutch install go? How are you liking it this far?
Old 11-19-2015, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mantic clutch is great. Alittle stiffer then my stock ones is but definitely bites harder. I daily driver the car in traffic and its definitely the perfect clutch for that! I highly recommend it.

Quick Reply: Clutch Wont Disengage.. opinions?