Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

SynchroRev Match for F-Bodies?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default SynchroRev Match for F-Bodies?

Just thought if there was a way to implement Nissan's automated rev matching system to our cars. If you're not familiar with it, what happens is say you're 3rd and want to downshift to 2nd. To do it correctly, you have to take it out of 3rd, blip the throttle to match transmission speed to engine speed then engage 2nd to get a smooth shift. What SynchroRev does is blip the throttle for you so that if you put it in 2nd with the clutch in, the engine will automatically rev to the right rpm so that if you dump the clutch, the engine and transmission are in sync.

More reading here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...atch-explained

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchr...atching_system

Heel-toe is pretty difficult for these cars due to the pedal configuration so I would feel like an automated rev matching system would be really beneficial around a road course. Anything like this already exists?
Old 07-27-2015, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an option on some of the already crazy, stupidly priced sequential gearboxes/shifters for our cars.

I've never heard of a stand alone system like this for our standard T56es.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea saw some of the crazy priced sequential gearboxes. I don't mind the H shifter, just thought it would be really cool if I could get it to rev match.

From a tuner's perspective, it doesn't seem that difficult. Put a couple sensors to detect when the clutch is in/what gear/engine speed/transmission speed. From then I assume it's a couple lines of code in the ECU to get it to work. But then I would think you would also need an electronic throttle control.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

You need electronic throttle control and a very expensive engine management system.

Put an extension on your gas pedal, it will make your life easier. Also, you have to use the right side of your foot to rev match, there isn't enough space to swing a heel around. Requires a bit different technique, but it can be done.

Another thing to keep in mind is out on the road course, under heavy braking, these cars do not necessarily like additional engine braking. It just makes brake hop worse. Get the car slowed down, then pop a lower rpm rev match right before you enter the corner. You will be much smoother.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default SynchroRev Match for F-Bodies?

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
You need electronic throttle control and a very expensive engine management system.

Put an extension on your gas pedal, it will make your life easier. Also, you have to use the right side of your foot to rev match, there isn't enough space to swing a heel around. Requires a bit different technique, but it can be done.

Another thing to keep in mind is out on the road course, under heavy braking, these cars do not necessarily like additional engine braking. It just makes brake hop worse. Get the car slowed down, then pop a lower rpm rev match right before you enter the corner. You will be much smoother.
I rev match this way, using the outside of my right foot on the throttle and the ball of my right foot on the brake. I wear wide shoes (usually in my work boots) to do it easily, but I can do it with skinny shoes too.

Just like you said, auto rev match will take a much more complicated computer and an electric throttle body.

OP, just keep practicing and use the method 79_TA and I use. Don't heel toe, do big toe little toe. It took me over a year to figure it out. Now I dont drive without doing it.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are dead set on it, it would stand to reason that the system employed on the new Corvette's would be easier to integrate. How one would do that is another question all together.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

It also works far better than the Nissan system, which quite frankly sucks. I've used it, and turned it off as most decent drivers do.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
I see, I'll try that. Any way to alter pedal heights?

Quick Reply: SynchroRev Match for F-Bodies?