Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Review of New Mods: Moser 12, Spec II, Pro 5.0, and Lou's short stick

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Pro 5.0 has the bump stops that give it an awesome feeling when shifting hard. The factory Hurst didn't have them and it didnt feel as "solid" as the Pro 5.0 does. I needed new synchro's after 11,000 miles on the car because the Hurst didn't have bump stops. After my trans was repaired, I picked up a Pro 5.0 as ASAP, and now the car feels better than ever, and I dont have to worry about over extending the shift fork again.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the factory Hurst already has built in stops:

Having had enough of the rattles, I decided to swap out my PRO 5.0 for the factory Hurst and LSS. I reinstalled the factory Hurst, and then decided to remove the small boot that covers the top of it. There appears to be a "plate" bolted on top of the shifter, after closer inspection, it appears that it is a from of postive stop mechanism. I placed the shifter in all gears, and there was less than a 1/10 of in clearance between the handle, about what you would set the bolts at on the aftermarket units. If I applied a decent ammount of pressure, the handle would hit this plate.
And the transmission is suppose to have built in stops as well. Some people here say to leave the stops out when installing the 5.0.

I rebuild these trannies too. You dont' need those on the shifter, there are stops built into this tranny. If you feel Like you Just have to put them on there cause they came with the shifter, Make sure they don't touch the shifter even when you push pretty hard against the shifter. I have a ripper, The stops on my ripper are in a drawer full of spare bolts.
Usually the shift forks get worked if the tranny let you overshift.

If your syncros gave up, I'm willing to bet its because the throwout clutch release system is crap. The drill mod will fix that. There isn't ANY synchro will lead a quick life if the clutch isn't releasing when you shift.

There's always a huge debate on the shift stops. Last time I called Pro 5.0 they told me to leave them out.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info... BTW, it is hard to find a definite answer about the stops and shift forks. Upon searching I found people saying it is impossible to bend a shift fork, and I read the thread a while ago also about the guy who rebuilds transmissions. I didnt want to have to, but it looks like I'm going to have to do the drill mod to be on the safe side, or else I'll have to deal with bad synchros again, right...?
Old 06-28-2004, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkZ28LS6
Thanks for the info... BTW, it is hard to find a definite answer about the stops and shift forks. Upon searching I found people saying it is impossible to bend a shift fork, and I read the thread a while ago also about the guy who rebuilds transmissions. I didnt want to have to, but it looks like I'm going to have to do the drill mod to be on the safe side, or else I'll have to deal with bad synchros again, right...?
I have the pro 5.0 shifter and lss and still bent my shift fork.Don't think it can't happen cause then it will.I got my car with 854 miles and have only raced it since then.I might have 2000 miles on it now if that ,I think it's lower but already the clutch has gone and now I'm doing a tranny rebuild cause I bent the 3-4 shift fork.It can and will happen if you drive hard.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rodent
I think the factory Hurst already has built in stops:

And the transmission is suppose to have built in stops as well. Some people here say to leave the stops out when installing the 5.0.

I left the bump stops on the Pro 5.0. You just need to make sure that you have enough space between them and the shifter housing. I actually took the time to place the stops where the shifter was just engaging the specified gear enough to drive hard. This shortened the throws just alittle more in my opinion (1mm clearance for gears 1,3,5 and 2mm clearance for 2,4,6) My experience with the springs is that this shfter is tighter than a Nun's who hah. I will say that I experienced the Pro 5.0 in addition to a Spec Stage II clutch which may account for the overall improvement in banging through the gears. I only drove the car with the new clutch and without the Pro 5.0 for about 65 miles.