Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Fluid change question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid change question!!!

Shifting is starting to get a little tight on my 99 Z. I'm at about 81,000 miles on it now and have kept up with all my maintenance but have paid little attention to my tranny. Thought about getting under it this weekend and doing a little flushing and changing fluids. Only thing is I've never done this before and I don't really have the cash to take it to a shop. How easy is it to change and flush the fluids myself? What transmission fluid are you guys using? Is this even something I need to consider tackling myself? Thanks for any help guys. I'm on IM if someone wants to shoot me over a note @ br1138.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

I just switched to GM Synchromesh (from Coastal) and I noticed a bit of a difference. You can get it from your local dealer. My tranny took exactly 4 quarts. Changing it is pretty simple... just put the car up on jackstands, pull the drain plug and let it drain until it stops. To fill it, you can either pull the shifter out and pour the fluid in via the shifter hole, or you can use the fill hole and a hand pump. Fill until fluid is at the level of the fill hole. Done.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I ran GM Syncromesh for a month and went back to Valvoline Dexron III. The Syncromesh was giving me issues at the track. I did not like it although I did notice a difference when fresh. The $1.20 a quart Valvoline is a better solution IMHO.

There is an easy way to change the fluid. Drain from the back of the trans and to fill get a length of clear plastic tubing that will fit over the end of a small funnel. Run the tubing down through the engine bay and into the fill hole. You can then fill the trans from the engine bay. I recommend keeping a drain pan under the fill hole while doing this. Using this method,it is easy to add the 4 quarts of fluid.