Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick Master installed Adjustment question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well update.....Turns out it was bled properly, so im guessing the shop not adjusting the MC may have damaged the pressure plate. Of course the shop is saying it is most likely faulty, which if i got a flywheel that is not flat I guess its possible, but we won't know whats going on now until they tear it back down on Monday. I'm starting to regret buying after market parts, as this is my daily drive and its already 2 weeks that I have gone without my car. It's getting very difficult to find a ride to work everyday. Now with a possible battle of whos at blame, something tells me my car is not going to be on the road anytime soon.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I don't think it's the "after market parts"...more on how it was installed.

Unless the shop is more versed as a "performance" shop where mods are common the majority of shops just have mechanics following FSM procedure. An adjustable MC is not OEM so likely it was a foreign language to them

Tough to be a "point & pay" guy especially when it comes to having shops install other than OEM type parts....although a clutch install is a fairly straight forward procedure

Perhaps with the pedal initially set high the PP got over extended, IDK

You might want to contact Monster to see if there is some step (shim??) that was not done

I don't have a LSx platform car but have read measurements need to be taken (stack height??) to determine if shim is needed or not

was there a shim included with the monster kit?

did the shop have or even use the install instructions that are for the Tick MC?
Old 03-25-2016, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kissmy99ss
well update.....Turns out it was bled properly, so im guessing the shop not adjusting the MC may have damaged the pressure plate. Of course the shop is saying it is most likely faulty, which if i got a flywheel that is not flat I guess its possible, but we won't know whats going on now until they tear it back down on Monday. I'm starting to regret buying after market parts, as this is my daily drive and its already 2 weeks that I have gone without my car. It's getting very difficult to find a ride to work everyday. Now with a possible battle of whos at blame, something tells me my car is not going to be on the road anytime soon.
I'm really sorry to hear that. It's a great combo when set up correctly. Hopefully it gets worked out.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ******
I don't think it's the "after market parts"...more on how it was installed.

Unless the shop is more versed as a "performance" shop where mods are common the majority of shops just have mechanics following FSM procedure. An adjustable MC is not OEM so likely it was a foreign language to them

Tough to be a "point & pay" guy especially when it comes to having shops install other than OEM type parts....although a clutch install is a fairly straight forward procedure

Perhaps with the pedal initially set high the PP got over extended, IDK

You might want to contact Monster to see if there is some step (shim??) that was not done

I don't have a LSx platform car but have read measurements need to be taken (stack height??) to determine if shim is needed or not

was there a shim included with the monster kit?

did the shop have or even use the install instructions that are for the Tick MC?
No I highly doubt they followed any instructions. I'm by no means a mechanic and had the brains to do research. if they thought for even a second the scope of the job was outside of their abilities, they should have turned the job down. However, I was recommended to them by other performance car owners in the area, and was told they knew what they were doing. So I don't know where this is going to go but I have a feeling its going to take a long time, because I doubt monster will warranty it, being that I purchased it from tick I doubt they will since it's not their product. and Monster will say the Tick unit ruined it. The shop will say it was faulty from the get go. So, I'm not sure what to do. I do know however I refuse to pay for the parts for a second time.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:59 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

No I highly doubt they followed any instructions. I'm by no means a mechanic and had the brains to do research. if they thought for even a second the scope of the job was outside of their abilities, they should have turned the job down. However, I was recommended to them by other performance car owners in the area, and was told they knew what they were doing. So I don't know where this is going to go but I have a feeling its going to take a long time, because I doubt monster will warranty it, being that I purchased it from tick I doubt they will since it's not their product. and Monster will say the Tick unit ruined it. The shop will say it was faulty from the get go. So, I'm not sure what to do. I do know however I refuse to pay for the parts for a second time.
I doubt this. SNL performance is very used to their clutches going together with the tick master. And they're a very stand up company. Tick is one of their resellers. Tick is also very reputable.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I doubt this. SNL performance is very used to their clutches going together with the tick master. And they're a very stand up company. Tick is one of their resellers. Tick is also very reputable.
yes I agree, I have heard nothing but amazing things for both monster and Tick products, Tick has been wonderful to do business with, seriously top notch in my book. I really hope somehow this problem gets resolved, honestly I can't afford to buy this clutch package again. I dunno, I'm just salty right now on the situation as I was just told this news today, hopefully over the weekend I'll calm down. Cab rides are going to start getting expensive...that's all I know.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:55 PM

yes I agree, I have heard nothing but amazing things for both monster and Tick products, Tick has been wonderful to do business with, seriously top notch in my book. I really hope somehow this problem gets resolved, honestly I can't afford to buy this clutch package again. I dunno, I'm just salty right now on the situation as I was just told this news today, hopefully over the weekend I'll calm down. Cab rides are going to start getting expensive...that's all I know.
I'm sure you're fuming mad, and any of us would be. I was only saying to mentally give them a chance before assuming they won't help.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

I'm a very patient guy, So I always give people a chance, I just want to drive my car again, driving my car everyday for 7 years now then to go weeks without it suddenly, I have realized im literally addicted to torque lol. everytime i drive another car i find myself giving it like half throttle to get that push back in the seat feeling, and its just not there and i get like anxiety built up lol
Old 03-26-2016, 10:51 AM

I'm a very patient guy, So I always give people a chance, I just want to drive my car again, driving my car everyday for 7 years now then to go weeks without it suddenly, I have realized im literally addicted to torque lol. everytime i drive another car i find myself giving it like half throttle to get that push back in the seat feeling, and its just not there and i get like anxiety built up lol
lol! Same here. Then after a couple weeks driving something else I get in my car again, and it feels just SO MUCH POWAH. To be spoken as emperor palpatine. I'm actually surprised SNL hasn't already jumped on this thread. They normally do
Old 03-26-2016, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

yeah I don't know, I won't really know for sure what happened until the shop tears it all back down to see what actually happened. I'm pretty sure I know what happened. But I'll report back with an update Monday night.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:48 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

Tick is a Monster "distributor" so Monster or Tick would warranty their corresponding product assuming something was wrong with it vs error in install...if that winds up being the case. For the later...I would hope the shop would suck it up if they did error in install or not follow any instructions that was with the product you gave them

and the ? on a shim....was there one with the kit?
Old 03-26-2016, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

No, I don't believe their was, which I'm assuming I wouldn't need seeing as I ordered a new flywheel with the Level 1, which is meant for a stock replacement. Once again, I'm no mechanic so maybe it should have had one, if it were to require one I'm assuming since the shop is a Transmission shop who did the install they should have be able to tell during install if it were to need one.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

UPDATE: The shop said there were already hot spots on it, and the pressure plate and disc are both shot, so Hopefully I can get a warranty exchange, this was all after only about 17 miles of drive time, just enough to get me home from the shop. : /
Old 03-28-2016, 10:56 PM

UPDATE: The shop said there were already hot spots on it, and the pressure plate and disc are both shot, so Hopefully I can get a warranty exchange, this was all after only about 17 miles of drive time, just enough to get me home from the shop. : /
sorry to hear that. At least you have a smoking gun and not a bunch of guesswork.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:50 AM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

ouch....17 miles and the clutch showed heat marks and now shop says it is toast....sounds like something was causing the clutch to not fully engage.

Not sure if that would be the clutch fault vs install (something keeping pressure on TO bearing?)
Old 03-29-2016, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Update: I spoke with Monster and showed them my thread on here...I'm sure thats not helping my case for a warranty exchange, but after seeing my pedal pictures Steve is quite sure it was the shop's fault, and This is what I have thought the whole time. So I'm going to take pictures and send them to Steve just to make sure that it was not Monster's fault. I then spoke to the shop and I'm hoping they have my stock clutch and Master, I told them if they do please just reinstall that so I have my daily driver back, and I'll just save up for the damaged parts and try another shop later on down the road. Steve if you read this, thanks for everything man you have been a great resource of knowledge for me, and overall wonderful to deal with. Top Notch Customer Service
Old 03-29-2016, 01:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm running a Monster LT1-R in my turbo car and Steve has given me the best customer service I have ever had. The clutch has been wonderful as well and I'll be purchasing a clutch for my dad's car from him soon.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well of course it's not going to be monsters fault... Or the shops. Never is. This is why it's so important to be able to do this stuff yourself so you KNOW it's done right.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blk00ss
Well of course it's not going to be monsters fault... Or the shops. Never is. This is why it's so important to be able to do this stuff yourself so you KNOW it's done right.
Definitely best if you have the resources (a place to do the work, tools, etc.) but I can see where it's hard to do yourself if the circumstances aren't right for some folks. At the very least have a good relationship with a shop if your going to use one. I find that this can save a lot of headaches. When I am too tied up with work to address a basic maintenance item or need something done outside my skill set, welding for example, I use the same guy every time. He has some hot rods and modded cars as well so he understands how particular someone can be about things on a modded car. Anytime I have a disagreement about how something is done he squares it away with little fuss and asks the right questions BEFORE starting a job.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: I spoke with Monster and showed them my thread on here...I'm sure thats not helping my case for a warranty exchange, but after seeing my pedal pictures Steve is quite sure it was the shop's fault, and This is what I have thought the whole time. So I'm going to take pictures and send them to Steve just to make sure that it was not Monster's fault. I then spoke to the shop and I'm hoping they have my stock clutch and Master, I told them if they do please just reinstall that so I have my daily driver back, and I'll just save up for the damaged parts and try another shop later on down the road. Steve if you read this, thanks for everything man you have been a great resource of knowledge for me, and overall wonderful to deal with. Top Notch Customer Service
No worries, keep me posted.

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner.

Quick Reply: Tick Master installed Adjustment question