Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

A4 to T56 swap, flywheel balancing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A4 to T56 swap, flywheel balancing question

I am preparing to do a T56 swap into my TA in a few weeks time. I bought a conversion that included pretty much everything I need. It included a new stock weight flywheel.

I was about to buy a Fidanza aluminum flywheel instead and have been reading up on balancing, I'm a little worried now.

All LS engines are supposed to be internally balanced, so you'd want to get your flywheel and pressure plate setup neutral balanced right?

However, I've been reading up on quite a few cases where engines were additionally balanced externally at the factory by putting weight into the flywheel. People who have gone through this would get their new flywheels/ PPs balanced to the original setup.

So what does one do if you don't have that option because your engine was originally for an auto? What if you get one of those unbalanced engines? It seems like you're SOL no?
Old 04-21-2016, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

bring in your flexplate from the auto and have the new FW balanced to that. A machine shop would quickly know if it is zero balanced. also there typically is a weight riveted on a external balanced flexplate

IDK about the LSx being balanced internal or external. If internal than any FW that is neutral aka zero balanced will work

always a good idea to have any aftermarket FW & clutch confirmed to be zero balanced if internal balanced motor. Even if the manufacturer says it is zero balanced. In every case on a few aftermarket high $ neutral balanced FW I got...all were not "zero" balanced and needed balancing
Old 04-21-2016, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That makes sense regarding the flexplate, I hope it all works out as it should. Thank you!

Quick Reply: A4 to T56 swap, flywheel balancing question