Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Crankshaft movement BAD***

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Crankshaft movement BAD***

After chasing a crank sensor issue I realize my crank is moving, and moving a lot forward and back. Motor is fresh with maybe 60 miles on it, but have had an issues getting it to read rpm since I have put it together. I call the engine builder today and tel him whats happening and he said the clutch is not setup right and the input shaft is pushing to hard on the crank. He claims it left with .004 end play but I dont know how i Would have wiped it this fast. Other thing is it probably moves an 1/8" but I hear no noise and have great oil pressure.

What can I check to see what could be causing this it is a t56 magnum with a heavy dual disc clutch. Everything went together good, clutch engages and disengages good have about an inch of toe play. Never heard of a clutch pushing a crank in...
Old 07-18-2016, 06:51 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You can pull the trans. and verify proper depth of input shaft, pilot bearing, and a lack of interference fit. If the tip of the input wasn't pressing inside, and the the spline section wasn't pressing against an incorrect pilot bearing or the crank, you'll be pulling your engine to have him corect the thrust bearing & crank..
Old 07-18-2016, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep exactly right, the splines on the input would hit the pilot bushing and shove it further in. Bushing sits flush right where we put it in and shows no sign of touching on the bushing and neither does the input shaft. Measurements galore have me me coming up 7/16 or more away from bottoming out. I feel you wouldn't of been able to bolt the trans up easily if it was that tight.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft movement BAD***