Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2000 Trans Am has clutch doesn't fully disengage unless you push it down HARD

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Trans Am has clutch doesn't fully disengage unless you push it down HARD

I bought my car last month, owner said it has a new clutch. The clutch has this weird problem where pushing it all the way down doesn't fully disengage it, you have to push it harder than all the way down, for it to fully disengage. This makes parking and putting in traffic very enjoyable. I basically have to stand on the pedal whenever I'm making low speed maneuvers. The clutch master is topped off, what else should I check and how would I go about figuring this out?
Old 07-30-2016, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Does the pedal fully return up by itself or do you have to pull it up all the way with the top of your foot ?
Old 07-30-2016, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mdayz28
Does the pedal fully return up by itself or do you have to pull it up all the way with the top of your foot ?
Yes it operates normally other than the dusengaging
Old 07-31-2016, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Your clutch master cylinder is not letting your clutch fully disengage. If your fluid level is full it is my opinion that your clutch master cylinder is going bad . Tick Performance makes a nice adjustable one . Of you go with that keep the original bleeder because if you go with the quick bleeder they sell the transmission has to come out to attach it . The Tick master cylinder is not to bad to install, just vacuum bleed it . Also before you do anything else try to vacuum bleed it . It may only have air in the line. YouTube has good videos on how to vacuum bleed the master cylinder, Harbor Freight sells a nice brake bleeder that works great for this process
Old 08-18-2016, 07:51 PM

I had to replace the clutch in my 2002 Trans Am last October. It started out by sticking to the floor. It did the same thing after the clutch replacement. Ended up being the seals in the master cylinder. Replaced that and the problem disappeared until a few weeks ago. It is leaking down overnight now and my fluid was turning black again. Tried changing to DOT 5 fluid but has not helped. Tick Performance makes an adjustable master cylinder I intend to purchase.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:12 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

This isn't a problem unique to Firebirds. Moving it over here where the problem has been discussed many times over.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:07 PM
FormerVendor

We would agree , this sounds like a failing master, but would recommend a thorough bleed before anything else. Do you know if the clutch is stock or aftermarket?

Quick Reply: 2000 Trans Am has clutch doesn't fully disengage unless you push it down HARD