Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 rebuild : where to get parts ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 01:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 rebuild : where to get parts ?

For my 00 Camaro, I am preparing the shoplist to get my t56 tranny rebuilt.
I am in France, so not able to have it done in the US, but I need to order parts to do the job at home.

I started to look for some info, and send a few messages around, Tick Performance was helpfull into its answers, but they said they are out of stocks of several part that I would need : the major part I want that is on backorder now is the "Viper Style 2nd Gear Upgrade" that is best to fit onto prior to 2000 trans.

Anyone would have recommendations where I could find this part, or general advise about T56 rebuid part choice ?
Old 02-26-2015, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure Tick told you the same, parts are for the most part, not available. Tremec hasn't produced parts for a while now and may never for a T56. I was lucky to get the parts I needed from a multitude of places and that was a while ago. May want to look into the TR6060. That seems to be the main stay from now on. I know this isn't what you want to hear but, just relaying what I've heard.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.thegearbox.org/T56.html

?
Old 02-26-2015, 11:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you can still get the basic parts like synchros keys forks etc the hard things are shafts and gears. However the gears are now being made by the aftermarket with good reviews there is a company selling aftermarket 2nd gears on ebay right now. They have good reviews, iirc tick has been using them so they may be able to get you one also
Old 02-26-2015, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to hi jack but, are they making all gears aftermarket or just second?
Old 02-26-2015, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have seen 1st and 3rd available iirc so they def make more than just 2nd but idk if they make all 6
Old 02-26-2015, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not sure if this is allowed since some of these weren't from vendors, so Mods feel free to delete this post. Here are all the parts I ended up with and where I got them:

-Gearbox.org stage 2 kit: thegearbox.org
-Complete Koyo bearing kit: thegearbox.org
-1st Gear Tremec: Tick
-2nd Gear Aftermarket: AMP distributing
-3rd Gear Tremec: ls1tech classifieds
-Input shaft / 4th gear Aftermarket: thegearbox.org
-Mainshaft: Tick
-New Tick hydraulics: Tick
-Monster Stage 2 clutch: cospeed
-MGW Shifter: MGW
-ARP hardware: cospeed

2nd gear was the hardest to get, aftermarket or not, so if you can get one now, get it. By the time I tallied my parts cost I'm thinking a t56 magnum was the way to go, but at this point I'm not too concerned, I'll have a t56 in great shape. I'm not sure how many of these places will ship to France either.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
Not to hi jack but, are they making all gears aftermarket or just second?
Several parts are being made. Watch out the for "Rem" polished Chinese gears. They are garbage. We are producing quite a few pieces for the T56 currently and have a line of "Viper" spec input shafts coming out later this spring. This is what the LS prototype looks like.

Currently one is being tested from a builder in Dallas and one is being tested by a builder in San Antonio. Once they are green lighted, they will go into production.

Also look for some T56 output shafts to be released late this year or early 2016.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Hi all of you that posted, your messages will be of great help for me, I will look around where you suggest in order to find out what I can get from every potential provider.
I am very gratefull for your help !!!
Old 03-16-2015, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by AMP-D
Several parts are being made. Watch out the for "Rem" polished Chinese gears. They are garbage. We are producing quite a few pieces for the T56 currently and have a line of "Viper" spec input shafts coming out later this spring. This is what the LS prototype looks like.

Currently one is being tested from a builder in Dallas and one is being tested by a builder in San Antonio. Once they are green lighted, they will go into production.

Also look for some T56 output shafts to be released late this year or early 2016.
I am in need of an input shaft to convert a LT1 t56 to an LS. The tremec OE part is not available anywhere in the country and I have heard horror stories about the aftermarket shafts not meshing with the cluster properly. Any idea when these viper shafts would be available? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rarntogo
I am in need of an input shaft to convert a LT1 t56 to an LS. The tremec OE part is not available anywhere in the country and I have heard horror stories about the aftermarket shafts not meshing with the cluster properly. Any idea when these viper shafts would be available? Thanks in advance.
I'm still breaking in my clutch after the rebuild, but I'm running an aftermarket input and not seeing any problems. I guess we will know more after my rear end gets here and I start doing clutch dumps.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Finally my tranny needs a lot to recover :
All synchros except 5/6 + reverse Gear, second Gear, and Third Gear.
I have ordered to Tick Performance everything (including the stage 2 rebuild kit, the bronze pads for the 5/6 fork, the steel 3/4 fork, all the bearings) but the second and reverse gear that I have asked to AMP (on ebay).
I look forward to see how I will like to shift these all

I also ordered a Rockland tailshaft bushing "no walk" to fit the driveshaft slip yoke into the tranny since mine was moving quite a bit.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:50 AM
11 Second Club

I picked up all my parts from gear box and cobra transmission. Nice to see the aftermarket stuff coming available. I paid a lot for a new input shaft after I sheared half the teeth off.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The gearbox has been great for parts and support.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rarntogo
There are some things coming through Korea and being manufactured in China. These parts are cheap and not very good. Our stuff is not the same.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:44 PM
Launching!

so is anyone having luck from the AMP brand gears? Im looking to replace third gear in a zo6 and found this gear. input is appreciated!
Old 08-18-2016, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

We have our line of Corvette gears coming out later this year. We should have 1st,2nd and 3rd gears for the 2.66 and 2.97 ratio around December 2016. Mid 2017 we should have input shafts for both ratios and cluster gears as well.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:57 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
I'm not sure if this is allowed since some of these weren't from vendors, so Mods feel free to delete this post. Here are all the parts I ended up with and where I got them:
When we are talking about source of supply for rare, restoration, or one-off parts, mentioning that source of supply doesn't generally violate our non-sponsor solicitation policy. (As long as no links, pricing, etc are posted.) If there are multiple places where these things can be had, then they should all be listed or left out as a "commonly available item."
Old 08-23-2016, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've checked gearbox.org before for their level 2 rebuild kit, its usually out of stock. Seems to be the most complete kit, has full 1-2 & 3-4 synchros & 3-4 steel shift fork. It's time to rebuild it, trouble going into 5th & it needs upgraded. Their level 2 kit is in stock now so I ordered that & the bearing kit.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I have gotten parts from:

http://www.ddperformance.com/t-56-6-speed/

and thegearbox

Quick Reply: T56 rebuild : where to get parts ?