Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need help diagnosing, believe it's the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help diagnosing, believe it's the clutch

I have a 00 TA, stock internals.

The other day I was pulling a K-turn and was locked out of every gear, couldn't get it to shift into any gear. After about a minute it went into reverse and I was on my way.

Now, I get a grinding noise, it only happens when the car is in gear and the clutch is fully pressed. When I'm in gear there are zero issues. It will also happen from time to time while switching gears but it's not loud or obnoxious but it's there... and not every time.

From what I've read, it seems like the clutch isn't fully disengaging, any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2016, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Nothing.....??
Old 09-27-2016, 09:10 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

First thought I had was the pilot bearing. The classic indicator is the clutch pedal in makes noise and clutch pedal out is quiet
Old 09-29-2016, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
First thought I had was the pilot bearing. The classic indicator is the clutch pedal in makes noise and clutch pedal out is quiet
Thanks Darth, called a local shop he said the same. I'm going to bring it to them and they'll tear it down. Since they're going to be in there, I'm going to them install a monster LT1-S.

Thanks for the input, you're always a help!
Old 09-29-2016, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You sure you don't mean the throwout bearing? Pilot would make noise all the time, Pilot bearing is at the end of the crankshaft. Throwout makes noise when clutch is depressed.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:41 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
You sure you don't mean the throwout bearing? Pilot would make noise all the time, Pilot bearing is at the end of the crankshaft. Throwout makes noise when clutch is depressed.
Nope, I meant pilot bearing. When the clutch is out, the crank and input shaft spin as one, and the pilot bearing spins with both. There is no slip between the input shaft and pilot bearing.

With the clutch pedal is in, the crank and input shaft no lnger spin as one, which means that the rollers in the pilot bearing are now spinning. If any of those are starting to go, it makes noise. typically a fast, repeating squeak.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Nope, I meant pilot bearing. When the clutch is out, the crank and input shaft spin as one, and the pilot bearing spins with both. There is no slip between the input shaft and pilot bearing.

With the clutch pedal is in, the crank and input shaft no lnger spin as one, which means that the rollers in the pilot bearing are now spinning. If any of those are starting to go, it makes noise. typically a fast, repeating squeak.
Hmmmm..My experience has been pilot bearing failure is uncommon compared to throwout bearings, I've probably changed a few pilot bearings due to failure versus 30-40 failed throwout bearings. I've also never experienced a pilot bearing failure causing shifting trouble and I've found where there wasn't even a bearing left and the trans still shifted fine it just had a vibration. That still wouldn't explain why he was not able to get it in gear and has some trouble when shifting, That sounds like a worn out clutch. (overheated when he was "locked out of all gears) and cooled enough to work again but still damaged.

Quick Reply: Need help diagnosing, believe it's the clutch